Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Fury- Stempien's is, in fact, open. I just enjoyed a cold one there this afternoon with my better half. Unfortunately, Mother's Bar across from Supreme Bakery is permanently closed as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    I have always pronounced it "showpin"

Thanks for the link Detroit_uke, i'll check out the 48210 on facebook

Maple Leaf Rag - I love that Frankos was in the middle of the street! I never heard of it or mitchnos. i will drive over there and take look to see if mitchos is still there. When did they close?

BTW- here is a pic of the mexican restaurant La Rosita on McGraw that used to be a polish restaurant
    Attachment 4907

When first opened their menu was "Broasted Chicken" It was started and owned by The same guy who had "Stan's Whip and Whirl"

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    Fury- Stempien's is, in fact, open. I just enjoyed a cold one there this afternoon with my better half. Unfortunately, Mother's Bar across from Supreme Bakery is permanently closed as of yesterday.
    That's good to hear. Yelp.com still shows Stempien's as being closed. Though I doubt that most people who go to Stempien's hear about it on Yelp.

I gotta say that the Aloha Bar looks killer. I would have loved to ante up in a place like that based on the outside alone. I'd love to see the inside.

I'm trying to recall the name of a bar I went to a few years back [[6+). It closed shortly afterwards and was on Michigan [[I think the north side but I forget the cross streets). It was very Rat Packesque on the inside with lots of red, velour and Spanish-style topless paintings from the 60's. They played old vocal standards [[completely appropriate) and was a great spot. I never had an opportunity to go back before they closed and am still kicking myself for it. Does this hodgepodge of info jog anyone's memory?

Default Bar at McGraw and Springwells...?

Great thread...have family that grew up in that immediate area...

Does anyone happen to remember the bar that was located at McGraw/Springwells? It was located on the northeast corner and directly across the street from the now LaRosita restaurant [[see post #20 in the thread from DonPablo). I know the building is now painted gray and is a hair salon or something...any pics/history/info would be awesome...

Also, anymore info/history/pics on the polish restaurant that is now LaRosita...? I remember something about a big fire there back in the early 80's...
    Last edited by JMarx; February-13-10 at 04:29 PM.

Used to be lots of bars along McGraw between Livernois-Wyoming, none left now.

I think the bar on NE corner of McGraw/Springwells was the John Wayne, it was open till 90's, and the building had two parts, the bar and dance hall, so it could have been converted into 2 storefronts..

The Polish restaurant- I think it was called Golden Rooster. It didn't last too long. Opened late 70's., closed by maybe 1990. The inside decor was interesting. Waterfalls, statues, paintings all over. But the place never did a good enough business to 'pay off'. BTW- it was also owned by Stan's Whip & Whirl, and I think the Olympia radiator shop also.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I gotta say that the Aloha Bar looks killer. I would have loved to ante up in a place like that based on the outside alone. I'd love to see the inside.

I'm trying to recall the name of a bar I went to a few years back [[6+). It closed shortly afterwards and was on Michigan [[I think the north side but I forget the cross streets). It was very Rat Packesque on the inside with lots of red, velour and Spanish-style topless paintings from the 60's. They played old vocal standards [[completely appropriate) and was a great spot. I never had an opportunity to go back before they closed and am still kicking myself for it. Does this hodgepodge of info jog anyone's memory?
    Sounds like you're talking about the Kress Lounge. Apparently now it's a parking lot.

That was it, DG, thanks! Too bad. I'd like to know when these places auction off their wares, I'd hate to know some of this stuff is rotting where it's going unappreciated, or worse in a fill.

The Kress Lounge, Or as my Gramps put it "The Old Folks Bar"

Reibert's [[sp?) Bakery on Vernor had the best bread with an insanely chewy crust. We always picked up a loaf or two whenever we visited my Grandma's place on Carson. There was also an ice cream shop [[I think) on Vernor that had a cool band organ with drums and cymbals along with piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    That was it, DG, thanks! Too bad. I'd like to know when these places auction off their wares, I'd hate to know some of this stuff is rotting where it's going unappreciated, or worse in a fill.
    They did have an auction shortly after the bar closed. I wonder where that nice neon sign ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Used to be lots of bars along McGraw between Livernois-Wyoming, none left now.

I think the bar on NE corner of McGraw/Springwells was the John Wayne, it was open till 90's, and the building had two parts, the bar and dance hall, so it could have been converted into 2 storefronts..
    Not sure if it helps, but this is the bar I was referring to at McGraw/Springwells. [[obviously it is no longer a bar) Back in the day it was just red brick and didn't have those lower windows...

Is this the John Wayne??

Attachment 5213
    Last edited by JMarx; February-14-10 at 05:58 PM.

I don't think this building was the John Wayne.
    Looks like a true 'corner bar' though.
    As I recall, the John Wayne had 2 doors facing McGraw,
    but did not have a 'corner' door.

does anyone recall bowling at the pinetree on warren in dearborn. it was west of wyoming. great family run alley & lounge.

Lived on Tarnow till I was 7 or 8 but went back almost every Saturday for bread, meat, haircuts etc. Most of family still lived in area. Some still do. There were an immense number of bars in the neighborhood. However many of the bars were [[I hate to use the term) family friendly. There were many fascinating businesses. One of my favorites was Tony's confectionary [[Michigan south side, east of Cecil). It had phosphates, a collection of penny candy unrivaled and seem to be a place where lots of people picked up their racing form. There was breakfast/lunch place on Junction in the basement of a house just north of Dom Polski called Steve's Lunch? Their specialty was potato pancakes. There were about 5-6 tables. It seemed like most of their cliental was old guys. Markowycz's kielbasa always struck me as being very large. It almost seemed like they used cow intestine rather than pig. I liked it but my mom always thought it tasted like krakowska.

Thanks for reminding me of Tony's Confectionary, I completely forgot about the store. The store was located on Michigan just east of Larkins right next door to the Banner Supermarket. My brother and I used to go in there for candy and comic books. I do recall to hardcore gamblers coming in to buy the Racing Form and the football tip sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Still miss the old Senate Coney next to the theatre, and the Pure Food Bakery.
    there are many Senate Coneys Islands around--one in Dearborn, one in Livonia, and one in Taylor still owned by the same Family

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    According to Yelp, Stempien's is closed:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stempiens-si...lounge-detroit

Mother's sounds cool though. Where else in SW has a great burger?
    Yes Stempien"s is till OPEN and yes there burgers are still very good they are open Wednesday through Sunday 4pm till 2am . I hang there frequently/

Quote Originally Posted by kirkwood street View Post
    does anyone rember the 7,11 & the sail inn bars?
    yes I remember the Suffleboard in Sail Inn next door to the drug store.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Can someone confirm [[or deny) that Stempien's is, in fact, closed? That is/was a great neighborhood bar.
    Stempiens is Indeed OPEN Wednesday thru Sunday 4pm to 2am
    lots of people from Chadsey and Andrews hang out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JMarx View Post
    Great thread...have family that grew up in that immediate area...

Does anyone happen to remember the bar that was located at McGraw/Springwells? It was located on the northeast corner and directly across the street from the now LaRosita restaurant [[see post #20 in the thread from DonPablo). I know the building is now painted gray and is a hair salon or something...any pics/history/info would be awesome...

Also, anymore info/history/pics on the polish restaurant that is now LaRosita...? I remember something about a big fire there back in the early 80's...
    The restaurant was called Golden Rooster owned by Stan's of Stans Whip and Whirl on the corner of Central and Mcgraw.

My friend's parents owned the Main bar on Michigan, just south of Livernois. It was a shot-and-beer place. Her grandparents lived in the apartment above the bar, we moved them out in 1991, they had lived there since 1941, and had amassed a lot of stuff. We found a case of liquor under the steps that dated back to the mid-1930s, just after prohibition had been repealed. We askes Gramps, he said that he started hiding liquor after prohabition was lifted, he thought they might change their mind and he wouldn't have any booze to sell. He had run a speakeasy in the 20s, so he knew the drill. We cracked open some of that after the move was done, very smooth! I got a lot of glasswear, some furniture from the apartment.

I had forgot about the Main Bar. Good story about the hidden liquor.

My husband grew up on Junction. There was a bar on every corner. On Halloween the kids would hit up the bars because the patrons gave them cash. With that money, kids could buy the candy they liked!

A few illegal stills in the neighborhood too.

When I used to visit my buddy who I call "GRAMPS", We would go driving around his neighborhood which happened to be the one in this thread. I was amazed at the the number of bars, like said on every corner. He showed me a lot or an empty corner building. Can't remember cause there were so many. He told me that was where Larry's Bar was. His favorite watering hole. Which at one time was a hang out for Lucky Frye and Dawn Spenz? Who were convicted of the murder of a Dr Canty I belive. There was a book about that a while back.
    Had another friend called Old Man Bob who lived two doors down from the Aloha Lounge. Thought to myself 20yrs ago that must have been the place back in the day.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast