Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stnfrnt View Post
    Hey Skipper.......got any idea who stole my Tobasco Sauce? I had it stashed. Somebody tore the place apart looking for it.
    Stoney, I got some real nice, hot salsa for you from Armando's. Maybe a little Frank's Hot Sauce, or some green chile sauce from a local Arabic store. Anyway you like. I could even make a run to a local Vietnamese restaurant to get some mind blowing hot sauce, like you might not have had since back in the day. I had some of the green Arabic stuff last night and it was reeeeaaally good. Only one problem : it kept me up half the night, itching, sneezing, scratching and blowing flames.

Open mic tonight @ 9PM. Join Ben [[attached photos) and others for a good time and good music. www.skippershamtown.com
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-29-10 at 12:07 PM.

Skipper's Open Mic tuesday night 9PM. See more photos at DY Connect and DY Free Ads. www.skippershamtown.com.

Hey Skipper. This is Gus. Remember hanging out in SF and getting kicked off the bus and having to walk back? That was a crazy night.

I'm still working at the same place, downtown. I didn't know you had moved back.

Quote Originally Posted by gcalan View Post
    Hey Skipper. This is Gus. Remember hanging out in SF and getting kicked off the bus and having to walk back? That was a crazy night.

I'm still working at the same place, downtown. I didn't know you had moved back.
    Hey Gus, where in the *_+# have you been? I've asked everyone about you. You disappeared. Yeah, how could I forget that psycho bus driver. I had more crazy shit happen to me in 2 years in SF than I've had happen to me in a lifetime in the D. How are you? Hope all is well. I still see Bob Andersen, Wayne O, DFC'ers, Russ Taylor [[Satori Circus), etc, etc, etc. Haven't seen Gary Glaser in a while. Stop by and see me. Are you still on the eastside? Email me at 1KielsonDrive@live.com or call 248 895 6301. Looking forward to talking.

Quote Originally Posted by gcalan View Post

Ever thought about doing another cool coffee house?

Skipper's Hamtown Bar Open Mic, tuesday, June 1 @ 9PM, hosted by Rachael Taylor. Rachel's music is worth the price of admission, alone. Stop in and chill out with music, art and conversation. Artwork presented by Brian Taylor and Guy Budziak. Guy's work can be viewed at www.filmnoirwoodcuts.com. Looking forward to seeing you there. www.skippershamtown.com
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-29-10 at 12:06 PM.

Open Mic/Stage tonight, tuesday June 8, at 9PM. Join in the fun. Lots of opportunities to make 'sweet music'. Bring your oboe and cello and 'git down'. Never know who might drop in. Last week we had a whole band set-up - The Carl Henry Band. Artists are flocking to Skipper's to show their work. You can always sit back with a cold one and take it all in. See ya'. WWW.SKIPPERSHAMTOWN.COM
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-08-10 at 11:48 AM.

I went to Skipper's open mic last night. It was really well run. Everyone was really friendly. Skipper is an outstanding host. I think that in some way, everyone Skipper knows is his best friend, and it rubs off and you feel like you are in a room full of your best friends. It was an outstanding, pleasant evening.

I heard some great music.

There was one song written and performed by Tony that I think everyone on this board would love. It was a song about a guy returning to his home town and all buildings being torn down, in fact he can't even ask anyone where anything was because there is no one to ask. He is there watching the "Guild" being torn down. The "Guild" was a theatre he spent a lot of time at as a youth. He sang about the mortar and the bricks put up by workmen to last forever. In a way, it had a feeling of a song about a beloved ship, like it was a reel or something. It was just a phenominal song, and anyone into building preservation would love it.
    Last edited by RickBeall; June-09-10 at 11:09 AM.

i second that Rick.... it was my favorite of the night. Maybe Tony has a MP3 release of it???

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    i second that Rick.... it was my favorite of the night. Maybe Tony has a MP3 release of it???
    Tony and Ben have performed at every Open-Mic so far. Their collaborations have been wonderful. Ben - the new young guy getting his chops and Tony, the master and mentor pushing everyone's boundaries. A great pair. And yes, a great tune. Thanks Rick and Klemmer for your comments and support. I love seeing both of you in my barroom because you're both involved and committed. And fun.

hey, just curious.. Are you showing any of the World Cup games on your tvs over there??

Quote Originally Posted by vivadetroit View Post
    hey, just curious.. Are you showing any of the World Cup games on your tvs over there??
    I'd planned to have World Cup on teevee. Unfortunately, Comcast is my cable, wi-fi and phone provider and they've unplugged me. They claim it's billing issues [[the sales and service person's I had when signing up in january are now gone). I claim it's a shakedown by a virtual monopoly. Regardless, I won't be using Comcast again if it means no teevee, no cable and no wireless. Sorry. Maybe my next provider will be more responsive and responsible.

What's the most exciting part of a soccer game? Watching the grass grow.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, Skipper's Hamtown Bar Open-Mic, hosted by the inimitable Rachael Taylor, is cancelled for tonight, tuesday, July 13, 2010. We will keep you informed of any changes. Thank you for your patronage and patience. = S = WWW.SKIPPERSHAMTOWN.COM =

Is the bar open tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is the bar open tonight?
    Yes. 4PM until 2AM. Thanks.

Open-Mic/Stage tonight, Tuesday August 3, at 9PM, at Skipper's Hamtown. Just bring your ax. That's all there is to it. Rachael Taylor, our host, provides all the equipment. No cover charge. Reasonable drink prices. Maybe you just want to chill? See you tonight. WWW.SKIPPERSHAMTOWN.COM

Thanks to all of you who show up, partake, and support Skipper's Hamtown Open-Mic week to week. The Detroit Yes community is the best.

Open-Mic/Stage tonight, tuesday August 31, at 9PM. Stop by and jam, read, dance. Hot air and warm beer. Best view of Hamtramck's fine alleys from our backyard. Bring your pooch. Secure bicycle parking. Pool, darts and games. Russian roullette. Camping facilities available. See ya' here. WWW.SKIPPERSHAMTOWN.COM

And they got drums and guitars all set up and waiting ... for the next rock'n roll star. I quaffed a Pepsi there earlier today and can testify.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    And they got drums and guitars all set up and waiting ... for the next rock'n roll star. I quaffed a Pepsi there earlier today and can testify.
    The drum set was inherited. Chris, the owner, who lives a couple of blocks from my bar, couldn't play them at home because the cops kept showing up. He brought them over about a month ago when he played open-mic. Chris decided they had a home, at least temporarily. I like having musical instruments around the barrroom at all times. They give the room a great feel. The drawback to the drums is that some people walk in thinking they can just wail away at them, as happened during the Hamtramck Poker Run. I separated the parts temporarily to discourage that. Since then we've had lots of players, in some cases using only their hands, to great effect and collaboration. Mister BeAll, you are welcome to play them at any time.

Someone should donate a guitar ... or store one on the wall for awhile ....

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Someone should donate a guitar ... or store one on the wall for awhile ....
    There've been some guitars that have found a home here. Johnny's is here now. If I'm ever able to get Markley's fabulous mural mounted up on the wall, I'm planning to scope out another area to hang instruments. Music, the musicians and their instruments really make a joint.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    There've been some guitars that have found a home here. Johnny's is here now. If I'm ever able to get Markley's fabulous mural mounted up on the wall, I'm planning to scope out another area to hang instruments. Music, the musicians and their instruments really make a joint.
    Amen.

. . . . . . . .

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast