Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

[quote=Gannon;116630]I don't think keeping from offending anyone is an achievable goal, since the weight of the offense is in the heart of the receiver...but you CAN be inclusively offensive...just offend everyone and nobody will feel singled out.

I think I had that one covered long before I opened a bar.

[quote=Gannon;116630]I don't think keeping from offending anyone is an achievable goal, since the weight of the offense is in the heart of the receiver...but you CAN be inclusively offensive...just offend everyone and nobody will feel singled out.

Of course, the mere mention of dogs will chase away the Muslim in town, but they're not heavy drinkers anyways. [[ahem) But you should have a five-times-daily call to drink hollered from the rooftop. The neighbors will appreciate it.

Great suggestion, Gannon. You're hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Hey, Skipper!! Nice to make your acquaintance last evening!! We enjoyed our visit and the conversation!!

Jams! Nice to see you...it's been way too long!!!

Skipper's new place would make a nice venue for an upcoming Forum get-together!!
    Thanks Kathleen. It was nice meeting you guys also. You guys make my bar feel the way I'd like it to feel. Nice and intriguing. Intelligent and involved. Now, you'll just have to get rid of the owner to accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Heya darling, seems we missed each other by mere minutes last night.

I tried to call Jams' phone on the drive down, but it was off or dead.

Story of my life...how many times do I catch you and Dave on the way out the door?! If only I had a concept of time.

I stayed until he closed the joint, and we had some kinda fun. I met the son of an enigmatic Irishman who's been entertaining my family musically for my entire lifetime...and his wonderful wife. She brought in her guitar, I got my drum out of the car...and we made some music together.

Yeah, this place has all the makings of a comfortable and eclectic hang-out.

Cheers, Skipper...glad to finally talk with you in person.
    Ditto, Gannon. Sorry, I wasn't booting you at the end, I just had to set my alarm without tripping it at 2:30 AM and waking the entire neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by A2DJ View Post
    Skipper's Halal Stray Kielbasa and Curry

That should cover it.
    You know I've gotten more laughs from this link and you guy's suggestions of names in the last couple of days than I recall having for a long time. The only thing comparable is the Stoney and OG show at the Gar Wood thread. Those guys are entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Skipper-my wife and I are going to stop in, she remembers you from The Stray Dog
    I'd love it. Uh, oh, did I speak too soon? Am I in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Skipper, I see that you are on the venue list for this year's Blowout. I need to come in and check out your place.
    Hmmm, I didn't know I was on the list already. I haven't signed anything, though I'm seriously considering it. Please do stop. Especially if you can give me some accurate input about the BlowOut and its events. I'd love to do it, and Eve has given me a lot of information. But I still feel somewhat in the dark about what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Fury,

He's got a curious elevated rear of the bar that is a natural stage. Big enough for a good crowd, and decent acoustics...certainly not too live.

We just have to make sure there are a few good twenty-amp electrical circuits so we can turn your axe-men up to eleven!

Cheers
    Gannon, in addition to drinking me out of Guinness last night, you could've at least evaluated my place for bands and equipment, while you were at it. I don't have a clue about electrical and equipment for bands. I might need a mini-nuclear power plant out back, to power those bands for the BlowOut.

Skip,

Dude, I did that in the first five minutes in the door, except for the electrical stuff!

Won't be tough to figure...gotta look at your electrical service first, but I cannot imagine you not having the ability to add two twenty-amp breakers. Any band that needs more than 40-amps of power is certain to blow the front wall into Conant.

Then invest in a decent snake from the staging area to a good place for the mixing station. I met a fellow last year at Audra Kubat's home concert series who makes those snakes very reasonably, gotta track him down.

We can even give YOU final volume adjustment from behind the bar and an easy ability to mic over the crowd if need be...nothin' to it but some planning, wiring, and a little cash for parts. [[I know cash is tight now, we'll do this right but on the cheap)

My biggest concern is the acoustics...I need to hear some medium-throw PA speakers setup to experience how their radiated energy excites the room, when filled with carbon-based saltwater-sack lifeforms. It is amazing how a room can change when full versus empty, even Alan Parsons came out and remixed things after Pine Knob filled up last summer! I love it that he does his OWN mix...who would second-guess that genius?!

I'm thinking the best place for the stage would be that left rear corner, to allow easy access for the women's bathroom...but enough room effect to create some great bass energy. Need space for a decent drum kit, then probably three musicians and a singer. That would handle 80% of the bands that would come through.

I recently learned of a new mic design that may transform the sound of live performances...I'm going to get a few to test them critically, and if they work as promised will bring them out for shows. We'll get you on the map very quickly, and get a consistent open-mic thing happening. 'T will be my pleasure to help you with this.

Cheers, buy more Guinness and I'll be back.

Thanks, my friend, good to see you again.

I'm passing the word to all the former Stray Doggers I see. I'll probably be back next week depending on my work schedule.

Dropped in with a few friends last night, only to learn that Skipper actually takes days off. Ugh. Had a terrific night throwing darts, even if Buddy Smith had to school us a bit. I actually called a SECOND bull shot in one turn and hit it...but lost anyways! [[felt like Kirk Gibson with that 'announced' home run during the '84 series, actually, if even for a moment)

We figured out some more about band placement, Skipper. Let's get that happening.

Cheers

Gannon wrote:
    >> a five-times-daily call to drink hollered from the rooftop

That's it! That's it! Gannon is the new marketing genius!

Skipper- We are coming to the "Stray Kielbasa" are you holding court?

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Skipper- We are coming to the "Stray Kielbasa" are you holding court?
    Tuesday, wednesday, friday and saturday. Looking forward to seeing you. Bring some mustard for the 'Stray Kielbasa'.

Skipper's Hamtown open at 10 AM on Punchki Day. Beer, Coffee, Liquor, Donuts, Beer, Liquor, Coffee, Donuts, Beer, Donuts, Liquor, Coffee, etc, etc. The usual Fat Tuesday, Punchki Day celebration for all of you in preparation for Lenten sacrifice. I can't get the Polish Muslim's to play because they're already booked all over town, but I'm planning to have their CD's, and hopefully other live entertainment. Stop by and check out Skipper's Hamtown. According to one world reknowned expert [[Hoover from the Gar Wood link here at DY), Skipper's is the smallest and worst bar in Hamtramck, and maybe Detroit, too. What an endorsement. Couldn't have gotten better from disHonest................well, you know who I mean.

Got Faygo yet?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Got Faygo yet?
    No. Would you believe I've called them three times and have yet to receive a return call or a visit. That includes a face to face with them at the Michigan Restaurant Show at Rock Showplace this past September. I was thinking of visiting their place on Gratiot tommorrow. The driving weather looks a little shakey. We'll see. They offer a lot of products I might like to carry in addition to Faygo. I'm planning to have a large offering of non-alcohol beverages eventually, ie; fruit juices, teas, lemonade, etc.

Got Faygo yet?
    Called them again today. Spoke to the same people. Their 800 number goes to someplace other than Detroit. [[California?) Anyway, I got a hold of someone who said they'll have a sales person call me. My fingers are crossed. I also called Better Made. They're going to have someone call me, also. Better Made still has their walk in retail store on Gratiot. That's good news. I had planned to go to both places today, but the weather isn't the best for driving other than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Called them again today. Spoke to the same people. Their 800 number goes to someplace other than Detroit. [[California?) Anyway, I got a hold of someone who said they'll have a sales person call me. My fingers are crossed. I also called Better Made. They're going to have someone call me, also. Better Made still has their walk in retail store on Gratiot. That's good news. I had planned to go to both places today, but the weather isn't the best for driving other than necessary.

Probably Florida. I believe thats where National Beverage is HQ'd.

Have you tried via email? We've written to them and gotten just about instantaneous responses via email [[faygoweb@nationalbeverage.com).

Do you need to go through Faygo? I don't know how bars work in that regard, I guess I thought that some places just grabbed stuff at the store and then marked up the price for service/venue.

Probably Florida. I believe thats where National Beverage is HQ'd.

Have you tried via email? We've written to them and gotten just about instantaneous responses via email [[faygoweb@nationalbeverage.com).

Do you need to go through Faygo? I don't know how bars work in that regard, I guess I thought that some places just grabbed stuff at the store and then marked up the price for service/venue.
    Wherever it's at, it said Shasta and something else. I guess I have to go through Faygo if I want to do business locally. Their sales people at the Michigan Restaurant Show had a price/product list that was fairly extensive and included quite a few products other than Faygo. I'm assuming they're National Beverage products. I lost the information they gave me at the show, but I remember some good products. Now, I'm hoping for good service.

Yeah, I think the vending is through Shasta.

At Roy OBrien Ford, they have a Faygo vending machine, but it says "Shasta Vending" stamped on the side.

East Detroit,

You aren't in business, are you?

Of course he needs to go through a distributor...they USUALLY have better pricing than any retail, and why would he give that last ten or so percent up to someone else's gig?!

That said, I'd go in with someone NOT competing to increase their sales numbers, I've got a few ideas next time I see you, Skipper. But the Faygo salesperson we spoke with said there wasn't another price column for bulk purchases...which is amazing.

Cheers

Like I said, I don't know about small local bars buying beverages, I just drink them.

Sounds easier at this level to not deal with a distributor if you can't even get a call back and you have a thirsty customer with money in his wallet.

But gosh, what do I know about restaurants and bars?

It IS weird in this economy to not get a callback...but when I spoke to the factory rep last year he wasn't too enthused about the legacy sugar product line...even telling me that he thought it would soon be shut down.

But that was before July...I would hope that they didn't kill it before it matured.

I would buy warm stuff from Pure Detroit and chill it. They might even give Skipper a discount for quantity...heh.

But there is a deeper story, my factory rep...while clearly over-worked...always responded within a day...and Eph's wasn't his largest client by far.

I will look up his contact information and see if he even still works for them. You never know.

The person who answered the phone calls at their factory needed a Dale Carnegie session or two, and the internal salespeople were usually somewhat painful to deal with...so if the outside rep IS gone, they have precious little depth of personality in that sales department without him, and he was no shining star himself...just a nice older gent taking orders.

Cheers [[now I'm going to want a root beer or rock 'n' rye for my next dart expose extravaganza, going for THREE bulls in a turn now!)

Must have Faygo in time for the Blowout...

I see Skipper's is having about 12 bands playing there...

http://www.metrotimes.com/blowout/schedule.asp

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast