Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "I never see the tell tale broken glass on the curb that you see in some areas of Detroit.

I have lived in Hamtramck for about 20 years, and I didn't have a driveway for years, and my car was never bothered."

In fairness^ I think you should add the caveat to never park in a shoveled out spot in Hamtramck with a chair standing on it -- unless you want some 70 year babuska working your car over with a ball peen hammer.
    The shoveled and chair marked, parking spots were a running point of discussion saturday night, especially among the locals sitting at my bar. Stories abound of blazing attacks and screaming assaults. I may have an open mike night dedicated to the legends and lore of parking in Hamtramck.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Oh drat, I forgot the "kitchen chairs in the snow warning"! There is nothing worse than being mugged by an old woman whose head comes almost up to your chin. Especially on a date!
    That is so accurate and so funny, Rick.

Got your message, I plan to stop in tomorrow about 7, and I'm bringing bumperstickers.

Anyone want to join me?

I hope the old bitch isn't assuming a second date then?!

We both kept giving each other "beard burn", so there was no second date.

In my role as unnofficial .... uh ... phlebotomist, philosopher ... publicist of Skippers, I have come up with a simple name change, just a letter tweak really, that would increase traffic. I figure we just print it in the paper one time to see what happens.

Skipper's Lounge
    Stripper's Lounge

Virtually indistinguishable.

We both kept giving each other "beard burn", so there was no second date.

In my role as unnofficial .... uh ... phlebotomist, philosopher ... publicist of Skippers, I have come up with a simple name change, just a letter tweak really, that would increase traffic. I figure we just print it in the paper one time to see what happens.

Skipper's Lounge
    Stripper's Lounge

Virtually indistinguishable.
    I am rolling in lapster!!!
    or how about
    Stripper's Coconut St. Lunge
    Skipper's Conut St. Lounge

Excellent Isle of Fun, work the street name in there!

How about

Stripper's Coconuts?

Skipper will be real proud of us once he finds what we have done.

Skippers No Babuscha, No Golashes!

Excellent Isle of Fun, work the street name in there!

How about

Stripper's Coconuts?

Skipper will be real proud of us once he finds what we have done.
    Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh, Ieeeeeeeooowwww. Help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Isle_of_fun View Post
    I am rolling in lapster!!!
    or how about
    Stripper's Coconut St. Lunge
    Skipper's Conut St. Lounge
    You make it sound like a Jimmy Buffet lounge. Or the Conant Cabana.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Skippers No Babuscha, No Golashes!
    No babuschka's, no golumpkis? Or is it, no goulash?

Skippers Stray Kielbasa!!!!!
    Thats the new name !!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Skippers Stray Kielbasa!!!!!
    Thats the new name !!
    Why didn't I think of that? That is so funny! I think I'll get a banner with that on it. I'm still laughing.

That's it. I've decided. I'm renaming my bar - 'Skipper's Stray Kielbasa'.

I dunno, Skip, isn't that a wee bit discriminatory?

I mean, Hamtramck has at least 146.5 other nationalities in it now, and at least four distinct gender alignments [[and a very blurry fifth)...and as far as I can tell perhaps even three additional species of humanoids...so to bring it around to a Polish thing, well, in this day and age?!

Although it is historical and hysterical...for those who still have synapses firing enough to remember the old Stray Dog days. From my count, there are at least four of you...heh...who would get that joke.

I'd make five, but only because I listen to Jams ramble on once and again...those were apparently the good, old days! We'll be hearing more tonight, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I dunno, Skip, isn't that a wee bit discriminatory?

I mean, Hamtramck has at least 146.5 other nationalities in it now, and at least four distinct gender alignments [[and a very blurry fifth)...and as far as I can tell perhaps even three additional species of humanoids...so to bring it around to a Polish thing, well, in this day and age?!

Although it is historical and hysterical...for those who still have synapses firing enough to remember the old Stray Dog days. From my count, there are at least four of you...heh...who would get that joke.

I'd make five, but only because I listen to Jams ramble on once and again...those were apparently the good, old days! We'll be hearing more tonight, for sure...
    Good point, Gannon. I'm in the middle of a block of Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Indians. I've even had some of the young people of those nationalities stopping in to have drink or four. You might be correct. But how can I modify my jokes to accomodate their culture and not offend them? Hmmmmm?

Skipper's Lambtown Curry?

Skipper's Catholic-Albanian Lounge?

Skipper's Yemeni Beer Bar?

The possibilities boggle the mind ...

I don't think keeping from offending anyone is an achievable goal, since the weight of the offense is in the heart of the receiver...but you CAN be inclusively offensive...just offend everyone and nobody will feel singled out.

Of course, the mere mention of dogs will chase away the Muslim in town, but they're not heavy drinkers anyways. [[ahem) But you should have a five-times-daily call to drink hollered from the rooftop. The neighbors will appreciate it.

I'd keep the Kielbasa, but have a picture of the front of Stray Dog on display...I am absolutely sure Jams has one! Now that he's all organized and stuff he should have no problem finding it, either. heh

Hey, Skipper!! Nice to make your acquaintance last evening!! We enjoyed our visit and the conversation!!

Jams! Nice to see you...it's been way too long!!!

Skipper's new place would make a nice venue for an upcoming Forum get-together!!

Heya darling, seems we missed each other by mere minutes last night.

I tried to call Jams' phone on the drive down, but it was off or dead.

Story of my life...how many times do I catch you and Dave on the way out the door?! If only I had a concept of time.

I stayed until he closed the joint, and we had some kinda fun. I met the son of an enigmatic Irishman who's been entertaining my family musically for my entire lifetime...and his wonderful wife. She brought in her guitar, I got my drum out of the car...and we made some music together.

Yeah, this place has all the makings of a comfortable and eclectic hang-out.

Cheers, Skipper...glad to finally talk with you in person.

Skipper's Halal Stray Kielbasa and Curry

That should cover it.

Skipper-my wife and I are going to stop in, she remembers you from The Stray Dog

Skipper, I see that you are on the venue list for this year's Blowout. I need to come in and check out your place.

Fury,

He's got a curious elevated rear of the bar that is a natural stage. Big enough for a good crowd, and decent acoustics...certainly not too live.

We just have to make sure there are a few good twenty-amp electrical circuits so we can turn your axe-men up to eleven!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Skipper's Lambtown Curry?

Skipper's Catholic-Albanian Lounge?

Skipper's Yemeni Beer Bar?

The possibilities boggle the mind ...
    I'm loving this. I should've begun a name consulting thread here at DY before I named my bar. I might not've had to put my name on my joint.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast