Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Great Night Skip....
    Last edited by Whaler; March-18-10 at 09:06 AM.

I had a DetroitGirl sighting.

I had a Margie sighting.

I had a Whaler sighting.

I had a Mike sighting. A DK sighting, a Whaler sighting. And a Skipper sighting and more.

I had some great conversations with some warm and wonderful people. I think Skipper's hamtown is going to be the public front porch or rec room for a lot of people. Had a great time.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-15-10 at 11:29 PM.

Chuck_MI Guest

Looks like the old Norwalk Bar a few blocks down the street has closed. Or they just have don't mind the overgrown weeds coming out of their sidewalk cracks. Now that was a place for cheap beers and an authentic retro jukebox. The owner's name was Eddie, IIRC. Anyway, it's been awhile [[10 yrs.?) since I had the opportunity to stop in.
    Attachment 4856

I think it's been closed about 4 years now. I wouldn't be surprized if the owner had passed away. My friends took me there as part of my rolling bachelor's party when I got married in 1999..

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I think it's been closed about 4 years now. I wouldn't be surprized if the owner had passed away. My friends took me there as part of my rolling bachelor's party when I got married in 1999..
    It would be nice to see the Norwalk Bar reopen, not totally renovated/changed but just cleaned up a bit. It had a lot of old-time Hamtramck character... not too many left like that one anymore.

What would a Hamtramck bar plus liquor license sell for these days? Just musing...

I was talking to someone [[don't know if he wants his name mentioned) and he said that the current owners of the Norwalk let their liquor license expire. The bar is too close to a school to get a new liquor license. The old license was allowed because it was "grandfathered" in. Therefore, it will never reopen as a bar.

Norwalk Bar is owned by Akm Rahman, who used it as his residence address in a run for mayor in '09 [[there's an apartment upstairs). Rahman also used the space to distribute free food to residents.

Skip...Thanks, had a great time last night! Can't wait to Rock The House in June...If you want to sip the true Mothers Milk...you have to go to see what I mean...
    Attachment 4859
    Last edited by Margie; February-22-10 at 07:52 PM.

Welcome to the neighborhood Skipper! I had a great time last night. See you again real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I was wondering what was going on with the Chill and Mingle. That's down the street from my bar, Small's [[corner of Caniff and Conant). The Atlas on Yemens just changed owners too. Glad to know there's still a lot going on with the Hamtramck bar scene, and just in time for Paczki Day!
    Tom Jankowski said there's a new bar opening around the corner from his bar - The Whiskey. What is it? Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I was wondering what was going on with the Chill and Mingle. That's down the street from my bar, Small's [[corner of Caniff and Conant). The Atlas on Yemens just changed owners too. Glad to know there's still a lot going on with the Hamtramck bar scene, and just in time for Paczki Day!
    Melody, let's get together and figure out some collaborations for our businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    It would be nice to see the Norwalk Bar reopen, not totally renovated/changed but just cleaned up a bit. It had a lot of old-time Hamtramck character... not too many left like that one anymore.

What would a Hamtramck bar plus liquor license sell for these days? Just musing...
    The problem with the Norwalk Bar was that Eddie was no longer able to run it by himself. His kids hauled him out of there and tried selling it - for a ridiculously high price. They didn't want to run it themselves. I made an offer and they said no dice, not enough. I went on down the road. A couple years later [[a couple of years ago), they called me and asked if I'd like to buy their liquor license. I said why? What will I do with a license and no bar and building? They said they'd lost their 'grandfather' status due to being closed for so long. There's a school around the corner. The Norwalk is no longer. They've sold or rented the living quarters in the rear.

I was talking to someone [[don't know if he wants his name mentioned) and he said that the current owners of the Norwalk let their liquor license expire. The bar is too close to a school to get a new liquor license. The old license was allowed because it was "grandfathered" in. Therefore, it will never reopen as a bar.
    Thanks Rick Beall. BTW, I've told you I carry your GarWood tribute CD with me in my car. Along with Miles, Coltrane, Dobbins, Krahnke and Weed [[former house musicians at The Firefly). Well, I had it in the bar when you and the other FOGGERS were there. I'd intended to play it but got too busy. We'll get it on the juke box.

Quote Originally Posted by karenka View Post
    Norwalk Bar is owned by Akm Rahman, who used it as his residence address in a run for mayor in '09 [[there's an apartment upstairs). Rahman also used the space to distribute free food to residents.
    Thanks Karenka.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwalk View Post
    Welcome to the neighborhood Skipper! I had a great time last night. See you again real soon.
    You're welcome. And thanks to all of you guys for making me feel right at home in HAMTOWN.

could not make the grand opening. But working on getting a group together from your old days on Field.

Any update on hours? We are long past a visit to the Ham with the Rovers Scooter Club.
    Glad to see new activity. Will visit soon!

hey Skipper - be sure to let us know when the GRAND opening will be. And make it a Saturday night so some of us from out of town can make it in!

I'm invoking Skipper's rule. I'll believe this place is really open after I visit, drink a few beers, and am able to make return visits as proof that it really exists.

Hey, my CD in the juke box! I'll bring my wife to see that! By hook or crook.

Later that night in Skipper's Hamtown.

Rick: "Honey, let's go play something on the Juke box."
    Andrea: "Ok."
    Rick "Hmmm. How about "Garwood Athem"?"
    Andrea: Thud. Thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk.
    Rick: "Oh man, Skipper shouldn't have left that trap door to the basement open."
    Rick "Quick, someone get me a cold beer!"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Any update on hours? We are long past a visit to the Ham with the Rovers Scooter Club.
    Glad to see new activity. Will visit soon!
    I'd love to host a Scooter gathering. I spoke to the scooters at Depot Town this past fall during the Ypsi Heritage Fest about coming down to Hamtown. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    I'm invoking Skipper's rule. I'll believe this place is really open after I visit, drink a few beers, and am able to make return visits as proof that it really exists.
    Hey SS, I've been invoking Skipper's Rule to myself on many occasions during the last few months of construction, repairs and cans of worms continually opening. I hope I don't have to serve as an example of the downside.

Hey, my CD in the juke box! I'll bring my wife to see that! By hook or crook.

Later that night in Skipper's Hamtown.

Rick: "Honey, let's go play something on the Juke box."
    Andrea: "Ok."
    Rick "Hmmm. How about "Garwood Athem"?"
    Andrea: Thud. Thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk.
    Rick: "Oh man, Skipper shouldn't have left that trap door to the basement open."
    Rick "Quick, someone get me a cold beer!"
    So will your next CD be a comedy routine?

Bearinabox Guest

Wait, so is your real name Skipper or 1KielsonDrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Wait, so is your real name Skipper or 1KielsonDrive?
    It's Curmudgeon.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast