Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If I see construction matterial at the Forrest Arms Apts. I will believe it. That place was on hold since 2008.

No thanks to the suicidal maniac who poured gasoline on himself and tried to burn the place down. He thinks that If he goes to hell, he's take the whole people with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If I see construction matterial at the Forrest Arms Apts. I will believe it. That place was on hold since 2008.

No thanks to the suicidal maniac who poured gasoline on himself and tried to burn the place down. He thinks that If he goes to hell, he's take the whole people with him.
    I've seen and heard work being done there. I used to date someone who lived right behind there, on Forest. Ruckus every morning for a while there, but it seemed to have slowed down.

Curbed is also talking about today's "groundbreaking". But shouldn't there be a better term? It's not a new building and I can't imagine actual shovels in the ground. What would one call the kick-off of a restoration?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...gins-today.php

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Curbed is also talking about today's "groundbreaking". But shouldn't there be a better term? It's not a new building and I can't imagine actual shovels in the ground. What would one call the kick-off of a restoration?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...gins-today.php
    Not sure what you would call it, but from TV clips I've seen, it usually starts with the mayor or some dignitary swinging a sledgehammer through some plaster/drywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit will rise from its ashes
    Yup, it will, especially when you see people doing this kind of work on historically significant buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not sure what you would call it, but from TV clips I've seen, it usually starts with the mayor or some dignitary swinging a sledgehammer through some plaster/drywall.
    Sledgehammering?

Maybe they should call it a wallbreaking ceremony.

I've always have heard it called a groundbraking ceremony, even when no digging is involved. But I did read in the story that they will be putting in a cistern to collect rainwater. So at least for this renovation there will be some digging.

Glad to hear that there really is progress at the Forest Arms

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...pening-now.php

I know a man who is working there on replacing floors. It sounds like they mean business. It is too bad it got so deteriorated, he says none of the flooring could be saved.

Awesome news. Nice photos showing the process and progress!

The photos are bittersweet. Lived there, and loved it, in 1969/1970. Worked as a caretaker, for six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    The photos are bittersweet. Lived there, and loved it, in 1969/1970. Worked as a caretaker, for six months.
    I agree that it's bittersweet. A lot of the original details were lost, but at least it's not being turned into yet another vacant lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Why would you want a picture of this when you just posted this on another thread???

"Detroit is just rubble, in case you haven't noticed."
    Just because he voiced an opinion that a lot of people would agree with doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy things getting renovated in the city. Detroit is in rough shape, it's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Just because he voiced an opinion that a lot of people would agree with doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy things getting renovated in the city. Detroit is in rough shape, it's a fact.
    Ummmm.... jerrytimes.... that post was neary 5 years ago... if you still remember the rest of that thread that got me riled.... please share it..... cuz I don't.....
    Last edited by Gistok; October-13-14 at 10:46 AM.

neat. I wonder when they'll start taking applications?

Many of the residents on the top floors when I lived there [[1969/1970) were long term renters, some for decades. Planned for years to lease an apartment, maybe for six months, upon retirement. Walk to DIA, restaurants, The Bronx and Traffic Jam, where many good times were had. Retired now, but there will be no moving in. Lots of work to be done, and I suspect the rent payments will be high when it is finished. Perhaps Thomas Wolfe was right about not being able to go home again.
    Last edited by Bobl; October-13-14 at 08:21 PM.

First new residents moving in May 1!

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/4/13/...ilding-detroit

Looks like a fantastic renovation. The windows are beautiful.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-13-16 at 12:14 PM.

Looks nicely done. There are many stories to be told about that beautiful building, and perhaps ghosts. To the new residents: Listen, late at night, for the sound of a former manager who would walk the halls, jiggling her keys. RIP, Mrs Sheahan.

Wow, they did a beautiful job!

A $100 application fee? Well, geez. Kudos to the owner and good fortune to the new residents...
    Last edited by Hypestyles; April-13-16 at 08:51 PM.

Wow. That Curbed article says it all and solar, geothermal, etc. etc. A real 2016 building.

Sounds like a great place to live and great location esp. for those connected to WSU.

Guess we can add 100 residents to that Census Tract. I assume folks will flock to move there.

[I also noticed the geothermal plans for the Ford buildings in Dearborn.]
    Last edited by emu steve; April-14-16 at 04:59 AM.

The historic Forest Arms Apts. will open and be rented out folks with lots of money, excellent credit points and a steady job and going to Wayne State University. It's not subsidized or being rented out to folks living welfare checks and food stamps. It's a new start to make Cass Corridor great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Looks nicely done. There are many stories to be told about that beautiful building, and perhaps ghosts. To the new residents: Listen, late at night, for the sound of a former manager who would walk the halls, jiggling her keys. RIP, Mrs Sheahan.

That includes the ghost the guy who committed suicide by pouring gasoline on his himself and set on fire. You may hear his cries coming from the top floor unit that he used to live.

Danny, this old curmudgenous veteran of the Cass Corridor still has some optimism buried deep inside. My hope is that that unfortunate soul has left the building.

I did a tour of this building recently. It still has a few months left before it's completed but it looks like it's going to be really nice. Not sure it's worth $800+ for a one bedroom though. Everything's brand new but the size is really lacking for that price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast