Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hi Flip,

You wouldn't happen to remember my parents would you?

It was such a shock when they tore down that whole block of businesses and replaced them with one Rite-Aid store. Of course, we always complained about the lack of parking back then, but half the block is a parking lot now. <sigh>

Kilbourne was only on the east side of Gratiot, right? I didn't explore over there much, having to cross the 'big, busy' street and all. LOL Those were the days.

hi maxine,

no i dont remember that many folks personally, because i was just a kid myself, even having walked home from , then"Aero Mechanics" high scholl that took right past your parents place, i would stop in for various kids stuff [[pop and the like) . Yes yo are right kilbourne was only on the eastside of gratiot. many great memories in that nieghborhood. Got my first car there living with my folks on kilbourne.

Flip, have you been through there lately? It's so sad, just remembering what it was before and what it's become. But those are great memories.

Default Drug Store

I seem to recall a drug store on the corner of Gratiot and Conner. Does anyone know if there was a dentist office above the drug store. I remember going there as a kid and getting figgity in the chair. The dentist told me if I didn't sit still he was going to go across the street to the police station and bring a policeman over to make me sit still. At that point my dad made me get out of the chair and we left and it seems we went to the drug store for something to relieve my tooth problem. We lived in the the Quonset Huts on Conner between Gratiot and Harper. Two families lived in one hut which was separated by a wall in the middle. They were cozy. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom with a shower, kitchen and living room. They became very hot in the summer and a lot of the families would go to Belle Isle to sleep at night. Lots of buried treasure on the grounds. The Hudson Motor car company was also on that property. The building is still there. My sister and I went to Macomb Elementary. I think it was on Barrett. Trying to find families that lived there. I lived there from 1948 to 1956. At that time everyone was forced to move out. We moved to Roseville. We sure had a lot of fun living there. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks so much for mentioning Macomb Elementary! I have been racking my brain trying to remember that school's name. I went to Kindergarten there in 1959 and needed the name to settle an argument with my sister ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by carterjan48 View Post
    I seem to recall a drug store on the corner of Gratiot and Conner. Does anyone know if there was a dentist office above the drug store. I remember going there as a kid and getting figgity in the chair. The dentist told me if I didn't sit still he was going to go across the street to the police station and bring a policeman over to make me sit still. At that point my dad made me get out of the chair and we left and it seems we went to the drug store for something to relieve my tooth problem. We lived in the the Quonset Huts on Conner between Gratiot and Harper. Two families lived in one hut which was separated by a wall in the middle. They were cozy. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom with a shower, kitchen and living room. They became very hot in the summer and a lot of the families would go to Belle Isle to sleep at night. Lots of buried treasure on the grounds. The Hudson Motor car company was also on that property. The building is still there. My sister and I went to Macomb Elementary. I think it was on Barrett. Trying to find families that lived there. I lived there from 1948 to 1956. At that time everyone was forced to move out. We moved to Roseville. We sure had a lot of fun living there. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Hi Caterjan48!

I started this thread looking for anyone who might have remembered that store. My parents owned it. And yes, there was a dentist's office upstairs. Both my parents had work done by him, but he was not a friendly man at all. Even when he would come into the store, he was always grouchy.

If you came into the store during those years, no doubt it was my Dad who helped you. He was in the store from open to close - 10 am until 10 pm.

I don't remember the quonset huts, but I did hear lots of stories about them and the people who lived there.

Default I was there too

I grew up on Glenfield between Gratiot &roseberry. Went to St. David 1st tru 9th when it closed down.Those name sure ring a bell. There was jeff and westley farr, Joe petorbono and others many ggod times.

My mouth still waters when I hear of Haas' Roast Beef. Loved those sandwiches! My uncle was a cop at that precinct, and I once ran into him there. He "suggested" that I no longer hang out in his precinct late nights. Great uncle, great dad, great cop. RIP: Uncle Bill!

I remember seeing the girls coming from the catholic school in the plaid skirts and I think white blouses crossing Gratioit at around 3Pm every mon-fri. I had forgotten the name of that school on Gratioit just east of conners. Is it still open

St.David was on Outer Drive. The grade school along with the church on the north side of Outer Drive over to Gunston and the "new" high school across the street, which opened around 1958. No part of St. David was on Gratiot or Conner. However, De La Salle was located at Conner & Glenfield, which was an all boys school.

I'm guessing you probably haven't been in that area in a while. St.David's church closed about 20 years ago and the high school around 1973. It has not been a Catholic neighborhood in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 14509glenfield View Post
    Maxine: I delivered the evening Free Press on Wilfred from Gratiot [[starting at the funeral home [[name-ugh?) to Hayes. My neighborhood sidekick did basicaly the same on Glenfield. Single copies were 8 cents, home delivery were .65 daily & Sunday if that dates me. Earlier [[mid-50's) a plane crashed into a home on Glenfield. Were you kickin' then? Saw JFK on his swing through Detroit by the City Aiport. Another buddy worked at Quick Locksmiths, the owner and he were both firemen. I'll get the name.
    Wasn't that plane crash in 52 or 53?? My Dad drove us over to see the aftermath. It clipped one house on the gable and chimney, then squashed the corner house. Pilot didn't quite make the runway.

Hi, guys. I'm new to this site@ love it! I grew up on Charlemagne from '72-'82. Went to Wilkins '72-'76, St. David '76-'78. Graduated from De La Salle in '82. Used to play pickup baseball games @ Apollo Hall on Conner. Saw all the airshows for free. They used to have cops direct traffic on Conner after DHS football games- that's how big they were! There used to be a Mr.&Mrs. Trombl[[e)y across the street from me. Haas Roast Beef? mmm.

uote=Maxine1958;7397]I'm a new member of this forum. Joined when the new site went up. But I've been 'lurking' for a long time. I really enjoy reading about everyone's warm - okay maybe some not so warm - memories of the eastside neighborhoods they grew up in.

I'd like to see if anyone shares my memories.

My parents owned the drugstore on the corner of Gratiot and Conner - Heyn Drug. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers the store, my parents, or that part of the city.[/quote]
    I remember that store as a young boy. My parents owned Deary Hardware on Gratiot and Outer Drive.

Knew that drug store. My parents owned Deary Hardware on Gratiot and Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by FerndaleDamon View Post
    Hi, guys. I'm new to this site@ love it! I grew up on Charlemagne from '72-'82. Went to Wilkins '72-'76, St. David '76-'78. Graduated from De La Salle in '82. Used to play pickup baseball games @ Apollo Hall on Conner. Saw all the airshows for free. They used to have cops direct traffic on Conner after DHS football games- that's how big they were! There used to be a Mr.&Mrs. Trombl[[e)y across the street from me. Haas Roast Beef? mmm.

Hi Ferndale. I use to eat at Hass Roast Beef alot. The Bonus family ran it. they did business with my family who owned Deary Hardware on Gratiot and Outer Drive. My name is Dennis Deary. Was up there a few years ago . Very sad.

Default deary hardware

Hi, Dennis. I worked at Deary hardware after school, part time when Ed French owned it circa'78-'79. Knew that store very well. I was through the old neighborhood last week. Looks like a third world country. Breaks my heart.

Maxine: How about the name of the one on Wilfred? First structure East of Gratiot on the right.

Buehler funeral home

Quote Originally Posted by FerndaleDamon View Post
    Hi, Dennis. I worked at Deary hardware after school, part time when Ed French owned it circa'78-'79. Knew that store very well. I was through the old neighborhood last week. Looks like a third world country. Breaks my heart.

We sold that to Ed in December 1977 . I moved to Texas right after that and now live in Savannah, Georgia. I agree with you about third world. My last visit there it looked bad. So many empty lots where homes once stood. Ed moved across the street where Mike Dorian Ford was. Wonder if he still owns it. Lots of good times.

No, Ed moved across the street to the old Dorian Ford bldg. He closed about 5yrs. ago, or more. Keep in touch.

Maxine: How about the name of the one on Wilfred? First structure East of Gratiot on the right.
    The funeral home was Schultz... one house from Gratiot.

That was the Schultz funeral home--friends of our family

Hi maxine1958,
    I was born in 1958, so we are the same age. Although I do not remember your store, I‘ll share where with you where I lived. We moved to the East side of Detroit in 1968. We first lived in an apartment up above a place named Morgan’s Bar. It was near Chryslers somewhere. I have no clue where that was within the city; I wish I did know. Then we moved to Anderdon Street, Hilliger, Lemay, and then to Dwyer Street by Conant and Mt. Elliott. After that we moved to the West side of Detroit to 35th Street; that’s where I grew up. I love Detroit and I loved all of the stories posted here.
    Johnnie Sue Bridges

Morgan Bar, 10047 Van Dyke

it was Schultz Funeral Home .

Just remember how good Haas Roast Beef was, and it'll all be better.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast