Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MIWP Guest

Maybe there should be areas downtown where graffiti is allowed, that would be hip. Vandalism Zone = Art Project...

Quote Originally Posted by MIWP View Post
    Maybe there should be areas downtown where graffiti is allowed, that would be hip. Vandalism Zone = Art Project...
    Funny you should say this just now.
    Over at Detroitfunk today he's got the HDL squab in pink on Park Ave. as a photo feature. This dress league thing has been there since at least June, 09 and recently enhanced it was, with paintball splats.
    I'm thinking that if enough layers of vandalism [[art) get applied, over time it might actually evolve [[devolve) to something that mimics a FAILE production.
    People in NYC actually covet Faile art that appears on the street -- it gets pinched quick by collectors. Self-selecting clean up rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    And the meaning is......?
    It's art. The meaning doesn't have to be in your face. It's for you to decipher. And yes I consider this street art.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    It's art. The meaning doesn't have to be in your face. It's for you to decipher. And yes I consider this street art.
    Care to share your address? [[Just thinking of bringing a little art to the home!)

Retroit Guest

And how do you decipher it? The reason I ask is because you said "they all have a meaning behind it", and I was wondering what that meaning is.

Can anyone explain the billboard that faces eastbound traffic on I-94 near where traffic from I-75 joins I-94. It is a big sign that simply says "CRIME" in white letters with an all black background. Not sure if it's still there, but it was for some time. I am having trouble understanding the direct point of that sign.

This is also the same billboard that CCK advertised on with a hideous green background.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Can anyone explain the billboard that faces eastbound traffic on I-94 near where traffic from I-75 joins I-94. It is a big sign that simply says "CRIME" in white letters with an all black background. Not sure if it's still there, but it was for some time. I am having trouble understanding the direct point of that sign.

This is also the same billboard that CCK advertised on with a hideous green background.
    Are you sure there isn't a text message number on there also? If it is what I'm thinking of, it is a billboard with a number you can text to to annonymously report crime. Supposed to be the next step in combating the "no snitching" and fear of reporting crime problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Are you sure there isn't a text message number on there also? If it is what I'm thinking of, it is a billboard with a number you can text to to annonymously report crime. Supposed to be the next step in combating the "no snitching" and fear of reporting crime problems.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's still there, but to answer your question - no, it simply said CRIME on it. Could have been updated since then, but at one time it was a one word billboard.

MIWP Guest

13406 Longview Street
    DET, MI, 48213

I dare anybody to spraypaint on this house... A shotgun will be in use!
    Ok, on a lighter side... MAKE ART!!!!! This should not even be in question... I have been all city for years. Friends like Shades, Gameboy, Sect, Toast, DUBL, and mad others... This shit dont stop.... Art is as what art does... Fucking find my paintbrush a clinic...

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Care to share your address? [[Just thinking of bringing a little art to the home!)
    Posts like this are cliche on DYES whenever a graffiti thread pops up. It would not bother me much if someone came and tagged up my building considering the alley sides are already tagged up.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Posts like this are cliche on DYES whenever a graffiti thread pops up. It would not bother me much if someone came and tagged up my building considering the alley sides are already tagged up.
    This is a prime example of where Detroit needs to learn from a city like New York. NYC is not even close to perfect, but most buildings tend to be kept relatively graffiti-free. It requires the city paying attention to citizen complaints and writing summonses to building owners who do not keep up the property, but it's a lot better than not giving a damn because there is already graffiti around. The Broken Window Theory is very much in full force in Detroit.

When I had a house on the west side I returned home from work one day to find a word spray painted on the front of my home that was humiliating and infuriating. Not knowing who considered themselves an "artist" I was unable to express my appreciation in a personal matter, so I scrubbed the brick with turpentine. Every time I looked at the house I could see a faint discoloration in the brick.

Spray painting is a form of vandalism that is assisting in the destruction of the city every bit as scrapping, dumping and burning.

Put a finer point on this discussion, shall we?
    Maybe helpful to examine the difference between a "tag," a "throw up," a "piece" and variations of so-called "street art"
    For example: It's a throw-up production by Barry McGee [[Twist) on the front of MOCAD. Is that vandalism? That's graff bought and paid for by art elites for the benefit of us provincials. Does that make it more "art" than a piece a local art rat sweat balls on to put on the street unauthorized? Who is "keeping it real," as they say?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    This is a prime example of where Detroit needs to learn from a city like New York. NYC is not even close to perfect, but most buildings tend to be kept relatively graffiti-free.
    ??? Are you joking? Have you been to Brooklyn?...Queens?... Or are you only speaking of 5th Avenue?

[[I agree with everything else you said.)

http://abcnews.go.com/meta/search/im...t_signs_100321

Just thought I would share this.......

Retroit Guest

Too bad TrustoCorp. can not find a more worthy use of their wealth than to put up meaningless signs, er, uhem, "artwork".

Maybe it is the same people. That orange background color looks very similar on both signs.

There is a logo with a "T" on the spray can.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Too bad TrustoCorp. can not find a more worthy use of their wealth than to put up meaningless signs, er, uhem, "artwork".
    Wealth? What wealth? What does that even mean? The signs are a great campaign, instead of criticizing the signs, why don't you watch ABC World News next Sunday.

Here is a flickr set of TrustoCorp's Detroit signs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trustoc...7623180632457/

"TrustoCorp is a New York based artist [[or artists) dedicated to highlighting the hypocrisy and hilarity of human behavior through sarcasm and satire. TrustoCorp targets areas in the public domain typically reserved for messages of trust and authority and subverts them with messages of mayhem and absurdity hijacked from the visual style of our authorities."

Retroit Guest

Wealth? What wealth? What does that even mean? The signs are a great campaign, instead of criticizing the signs, why don't you watch ABC World News next Sunday.
    Wealth means having enough money to spend on unnecessary frivolities.

[[Don't ask me to explain "frivolities". )

I highly doubt that a "hipster" posted those signs. An aerosal spray can seems to go against everything they believe in and doesn't really jive with the times we are all living in these days. Additionally, you'd think that the raging health care debate makes this look like small potatos, when you compare the two.

One of these signs was painted over along Woodward...how ironic.

Probably by the same hipster who actually posted the sign. They live to be ironic. And the circle will continue. Everything is a joke to these people and I get really tired of it sometimes. It wears on you after so many years. Remember the Turtl guy????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2