Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I can recall going to Pontiac mall in the early 70's there was a Hudsons store, but there was also a wing of the mall known as the annex. The annex had a budget store and a couple of other stores on one side of the mall and the regular Hudson's on the other. When I went back much later as an adult, that part of the mall had been sucked into the Hudson's store, making that store much larger. Can anyone verify this?

To piggy back on what was said earlier, Hudson's closed the Rainbow Stores right around the time that they were opening up the Mervyns and Target Stores in the area. I can recall reading that there was no need to keep the Rainbow Stores because they would be in competition with the Mervyns and Target stores. If you notice, the first Mervyns and Target stores were opened not too far away from the locations Hudsons had at that time.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-22-09 at 03:59 PM.

There's also an interesting twist of incestuous corporate trivia here. Once the mid-tier and upper-tier department store sectors began to majorly tank, Dayton-Hudson renamed itself Target Corp, consolidated the upper-tier into one brand, [[Marshall Field's) and sold it off to May Department Stores. The Mervyn's brand was sold off to Cerberus. So in a convoluted way, this was a step-marriage between Hudson's & Chrysler.

I think Hudson's thinking with the stand-alone Rainbow stores was that they'd be able to do like Filene's in Boston, and spin-off their basement bargain store into a successful brand of its own. Of course the Basement has [[barely) survived Filene's itself, and Hudson's and its Rainbow are now long gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I can recall going to Pontiac mall in the early 70's there was a Hudsons store, but there was also a wing of the mall known as the annex. The annex had a budget store and a couple of other stores on one side of the mall and the regular Hudson's on the other. When I went back much later as an adult, that part of the mall had been sucked into the Hudson's store, making that store much larger. Can anyone verify this?
    I don't remember that annex location being the rainbow store. The rainbow store was in the basement. The annex housed sporting goods as I remember it. What you said about later years is kind of backwards. The mall annex was turned into a Service Merchandise. When that closed, I think, was when JC Penney went into that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I don't remember that annex location being the rainbow store. The rainbow store was in the basement. The annex housed sporting goods as I remember it. What you said about later years is kind of backwards. The mall annex was turned into a Service Merchandise. When that closed, I think, was when JC Penney went into that spot.
    The years I am talking about was probably the late 1970's. Being from South End of West Detroit I did not get to Pontiac Mall much as a kid. I also recall there being other stores in the annex as well.