Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Go see Avatar [[3D). The story isn't groundbreaking, but the special effects are!

Children of Men. One of the very best films I've ever seen
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/#comment

Children of Men is a must see!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie1a View Post
    Children of Men. One of the very best films I've ever seen
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/#comment

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Go see Avatar [[3D). The story isn't groundbreaking, but the special effects are!
    saw it in IMAX 3D, and yes, it is stunning visually, and the 2 1/2 hours go by very quickly.

during the trailers, I saw my next must-see-in-theaters trailer -- Alice in Wonderland IMAX 3D -- with Johnny Depp as the Hatter

The Road - A Cormac McCarthy [[No Country for Old Men) novel. Viggo Mortensen should receive an Oscar nomination. Absolutely stunning in it's use of little colour and pale scenes. It stayed true to the book leaving only a few minor things out. Best movie of the year [[even better than Countdown to Liquor Day).

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like Koyaanisqatsi as well, very timely, and if you like Philip Glass the music is great.

Some other Native movies

PowWow Highway -- Road trip movie as Buddy Red Bow convinces his friend Philbert to drive him to Santa Fe to rescue his sister who has been jailed on false charges.

Smoke Signals -- Based on the Novel by Sherman Alexie, another road trip by two young men on their way to pick up the ashes of one's father.

Dream Keeper -- Another road trip with a rebellious teenager and his traditional grandfather on their way to the big Albuquerque Powwow. Watching this one after Smoke Signals is interesting because some of the sets are used in both movies. This one was made for TV but you can get it on disc.

The next ones were also made for TV and are mysteries based on the Jim Chee/Joe Leaphorn books by Tony Hillerman. They are in chronological order.

Dark Wind, 1993 with Lou Diamond Phillips, not as good as the next three but still fun.
    Coyote Waits, the next three star Adam Beach as Chee and Wes Studi as Leaphorn.
    Skinwalkers
    Thief of Time

Christmas in the Clouds, a fun lightweight Christmas movie about an American Indian run ski resort. A worker sniffs out the secret that a travel writer plans to spend the holiday there, but not who it is.

These are modern movies made and directed with a lot of Indian input. It's a whole different attitude from the shoot-em-up westerns or even the PC Indian movies made without a lot of Indian input. You know, the kind where a white man saves the Indians.

I liked Little Big Man, with Dustin Hoffman. Chief Dan George makes the whole movie.
    Gaz - I watched "Smoke Signals" for the first time, and it's quite a good movie. Next in line is "Skins" with Grahm Greene, tonight.
    I've always been a fan of "The Rez" and "North of 60" on CBC. It's always refreshing to see 1st nation portrayals other than "Wagon Train".
    Quote " The only thing worse than Indians on T.V, is Indians watching Indians on T.V."

I have skirted around "Skins" for some time now. It hits awfully close to some things I really don't like thinking about. Let me know if the ending helps at all.

Well Gaz, not every movie points a shining light. I watch the good with the bad. And by "bad", I mean the "Machinist" with Christian Bale was a nightmare to watch. I can't belive what he did to himself in the name of "Art".

I watched "The Skins" and was not happy with the ending either. But to see the reviews upset me even more. "Just as humorous and more engaging than "Smoke Signals". "Roger Ebert"
    WTF ? I'll be Mokie.

I suppose there was humor in it. Indians love to laugh. But the plot is tragic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3