Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Catholic School for Northern Macomb

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Macomb-County

Hmm... anybody familiar with this area, are there other catholic high schools in the general community up there?

The original plan was for the school to be built in the 23 Mile/North Road area since the archdiocese owned the property. Fund raising began in 2005 but subsequently fell short due to the economic collapse. This announcement is 'Plan B' but is still good news for Macomb County residents.

There are no other Catholic high schools in the Northern Macomb area. Most students that attend Catholic high schools go to either Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac, DeLasalle in Warren [[boys), or Regina in Warren [[girls). Some also attend Lutheran High North in Macomb Twp.

Good article on the history of Austin Academy:

http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Ar...ic-Academy.asp
    Last edited by caspermi; March-08-11 at 11:10 PM.

At the time that Harper Woods Notre Dame was closed, there was talk of an effort to relocate that school to northern Macomb county. Does anyone know if Austin Catholic somehow grew out of that effort?

My parents moved from Moross and Mack in '94 and my sister and I were attending St. Clare of Montefalco on Mack in GP. Due to not having any Catholic schools out in Shelby Twp. they continued to drive us to St. Clare until 1998 when I went to Marist Academy/Notre Dame Prep and my sister went to public school.

That area is starved for a Catholic school, I remember them talking about building one at 23 and North Ave when I was back in H.S. When I went to Notre Dame Prep very few people were from Macomb County, needless to say I got the hell out of there after my freshman year. Never send your children there. I can elaborate if necessary. Most children out there go to Luthern High North. My buddy from NDP had a bunch of sisters that went to Regina but I knew no one that went to Delasalle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    At the time that Harper Woods Notre Dame was closed, there was talk of an effort to relocate that school to northern Macomb county. Does anyone know if Austin Catholic somehow grew out of that effort?
    The Austin project pre-dated Notre Dame's closing by a couple of years. I understand the Marists from Notre Dame declined an invite to administer the new school, so the organizers turned to the Augustinians.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    The Austin project pre-dated Notre Dame's closing by a couple of years. I understand the Marists from Notre Dame declined an invite to administer the new school, so the organizers turned to the Augustinians.
    Yes, the Austin project did pre-date Notre Dame's closing, but the Marists declination is not correct.
    The Augustinians had committed to the school , but were not making any outward progress on the project.

The Marists by then had realized that their days were numbered in Harper Woods and that told the AoD that they woud like to move to Macomb to operate the school. The AoD requested that this be put in writing. They then used the letter 1) to induce the Augustinians to move since someone else was interested in the school and 2) to have justifaction for closing the school in 2005.

Although second hand, this is from a very reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    When I went to Notre Dame Prep very few people were from Macomb County.....Most children out there go to Luthern High North.
    Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac originally started in the early 70s as Pontiac Catholic. It was founded by 6 parishes, St. Joseph's in Lake Orion, St. Perpetua's in Waterford, Our Lady of Refuge in Orchard Lake, St. Benedict's & St. Vincent De Paul's in Pontiac, and I can't rememer the 6th one. However, these parishes all had grade schools, but couldn't fund a high school on their own. They decided to pool their resources and founded Pontiac Catholic as a high school for their parish's students to attend. Most of the students there came from primarily Lake Orion/Oxford, Pontiac, Waterford, Orchard/Sylvan Lake and some from Rochester. Geographically, it's located about 2 miles south of the Palace. I can't imagine why anyone from Macomb County would attend school there because it's about about a 25 mile drive one way from most places in Macomb. I know there's no bus service. For a parent to drive a student there would be 100 miles of a daily drive for dropping them off in the morning & picking them up in the afternoon. I just can't see people doing that on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    When I went to Notre Dame Prep very few people were from Macomb County, needless to say I got the hell out of there after my freshman year. Never send your children there. I can elaborate if necessary.
    Sure, please elaborate.
    Why would it matter if the fellow Christians were from Macomb County or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    It was founded by 6 parishes, St. Joseph's in Lake Orion, St. Perpetua's in Waterford, Our Lady of Refuge in Orchard Lake, St. Benedict's & St. Vincent De Paul's in Pontiac, and I can't rememer the 6th one. However, these parishes all had grade schools, but couldn't fund a high school on their own. They decided to pool their resources and founded Pontiac Catholic as a high school for their parish's students to attend. Most of the students there came from primarily Lake Orion/Oxford, Pontiac, Waterford, Orchard/Sylvan Lake and some from Rochester.
    St Anne's in Rochester?

When I attended De La Salle in the late 90's, it seemed like half my class was from northern Macomb County. Shelby, Utica, Macomb, and northern Clinton Twp were all well represented. There were even a handful of guys from Richmond and Lenox. When you live in north Macomb, your stuck between DLS\Regina in Warren and Cardinal Mooney in Marine City. It will be interesting to see how this new school affects enrollment at De La Salle and Regina. The news clippings for Austin have been so sparse over the past couple years that I thought the project was dead.