Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post

Remember, they don't just hand out CCW permits for the asking. You have to take classes and learn when you can and cannot use a weapon in order to get a permit.
    I know alot of people who have taken the CCW class and gotten permits. Anyone ever meet someone who failed that class? To assume that getting the permit makes you a responsible, intelligent, and emotionally as well as mentally stable person is a joke.

Crazy people are dangerous. Crazy people with guns are very dangerous.

I will not be attending AB&E because of the debate, not its end result. I fear that an irrational person from whichever side lost [[in this case the gun control side) will try to incite gun violence to prove their point. I would feel the same if the other side won the argument.
    Last edited by JJD; August-17-10 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    I know alot of people who have taken the CCW class and gotten permits. Anyone ever meet someone who failed that class? To assume that getting the permit makes you a responsible, intelligent, and emotionally as well as mentally stable person is a joke.
    I love that "but you have to take a class!" argument.

You couldn't learn to make a Web site in an 8 hour class, but somehow it transforms you into a responsible and competent person in control of their emotions and to be trusted with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I love that "but you have to take a class!" argument.

You couldn't learn to make a Web site in an 8 hour class, but somehow it transforms you into a responsible and competent person in control of their emotions and to be trusted with a firearm.
    There is also the background check component. Once you take your "class" you have to go to the county, turn in passport quality photos of yourself, get yourself fingerprinted, then wait 3-4 months or so while they do a background check on you. Then you get your CPL.

I would rather be in a situation where there were armed good people than where there are not.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    There is also the background check component. Once you take your "class" you have to go to the county, turn in passport quality photos of yourself, get yourself fingerprinted, then wait 3-4 months or so while they do a background check on you. Then you get your CPL.

I would rather be in a situation where there were armed good people than where there are not.
    Right let me put an addendum to my statement. If you are a responsible, law-abiding gun owner, you were probably a responsible, law-abiding citizen beforehand. I am just laughing at the people who reference the "training" as though they had to go through the police academy to get a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Right let me put an addendum to my statement. If you are a responsible, law-abiding gun owner, you were probably a responsible, law-abiding citizen beforehand. I am just laughing at the people who reference the "training" as though they had to go through the police academy to get a CCW.
    Fair enough. The class was a bit of a joke for people who already shoot/handle guns but I did learn a lot about the laws and it was worth it to me. I have been around guns since i was a kid. I was always taught to respect them and always have. I teach my kids the same thing now. I dont have my CPL [[yet) but when I do I will carry in certain situations but I hope that I never have to use my pistol to defend myself/family/others. I would say that 99.99999% of registered CPL holders feel the same way. The same cannot be said for the illegal carriers of weapos.

Much ado about nothing. A bunch of yahoos, pushing their agenda.
    We'll be enjoying the better music, vibe, and Detroit River view at the Jazz Festival.

It's going to be Arts, Eats and Freaks this year in Royal Oak.
    With the gun controversy, this is one disaster waiting to happen.
    Fitting how the zoo will only be a half mile from the action on Washington St.
    Ever since Patti Smith left town, the place has sold out to bars and restaurants.
    The lofts and condo developers have wrecked any sense of what the town was.