Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Leo B View Post
    Thanks to Ray and everyone for the input on dating this film. Best family recollections had been 1965. However, considering the number of post 1965 vehicles and the presence of the 1967 color plates, I concur that this is likely late summer, early fall 1967. Question is, how early could you order and take delivery on a 1968 Cadillac de Ville ? Also, there were still a lot of incoming boats so I can't imagine this being much later than labor day.
    This is more fun than the Zapruder film !! I am still amazed at the complete lack of a Canadian skyline at the start of the roll. There aren't any buidlings over 2 stories...

Leo B
    Leo, the new '68 Caddys could have been in the showrooms by September, October at the latest.

So sad to know that if you do this nowadays you're almost considere a terrorist hazard....

Leo, congrats to your father. It looks like he was a very careful filmmaker. He certainly planned his shots, going from a wide shot into a close-up on a number of occasions, used the proper exposure and kept his shadow out of frame. He also kept the flow of the film consistent with appropriate movement within the frame, and most of all he used a tripod to keep the camera steady.

I suspect he had some training along the way or was an avid amature.

On the content of the film, it was interesting seeing the SS Westcott delivering mail, I bet billybrew would love to see that. Overall, the days of relaxed travel are saddly gone. To see the kind of access your Dad had is amazing in this our post 9-11 reality.

Expect Matty's lawyers to contact you soon.

Nice film, thanks! I never realized it had once been possible to take a little stroll over the bridge.

gnome,
    I guess that shot looking down to the mail run gave the true scale of things, and may have confused you just a tad? The J.W. Westcott looked so small when up next to the steamer, that it would make it look like the S.S. Minnow

Gnome,

Thanks for the compliments. Dad was always a great storyteller. This was just another way of telling stories about geography to his school kids. He certainly was an avid amateur fimlmaker as well.
    As to planning shots, in those days film was expensive so you had to be economical! I do know that this was edited down and was most definitely shot with a tripod. My brother, who was a teenager at the time, shot a lot of it including the passenger seat shot. He deserves a lot of the credit and is the true family pro.
    Originally titled "Let's go to Canada" I suspect Dad wanted to film additional "episodes" to complete the trip which may have included the summer cottage havens of Belle River, Stoney Pointe and Chatham, Ontario. I am sorry he never did.

Cheers,

Leo

Thanks, LeoB!

It was certainly 1967:

The green flag is the Canadian Centennial Flag.

Great footage. I am amazed on how much the skyline has changed especially the Windsor side. I too caught that burned out brake light. Glad Ray set us straight on that. Wasn,t it around this time also that back up lights and seat belts were required on new cars?.
    I used to enjoy going over the bridge this brought back good memories. Including a visit to Tim Hortons, which never have to me tasted as good as I remember.

great video... sure seems alot easier to get across back in those days.. lately ive noticed on the US side they check the trunk EVERY time now...

lol.. and they keep telling me to clean out all the junk!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Wasn,t it around this time also that back up lights and seat belts were required on new cars?
    Yep! When I bought my first brand new car, a 1967 Impala, that was THE safety feature implemented that year. They were lap belts only. No shoulder/lap belts had been invented yet.

lately ive noticed on the US side they check the trunk EVERY time now...
    Just returned through the tunnel this evening around 8 pm and there were no trunk checks being made that I could see.

I have a 1965 Mercury Comet, and in the sales brochure I noticed that seat belt, back up lights were optional. One day hopefully I will drive that same car to Toronto to visit my cousin. I really enjoy this video. Makes me think of the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Only needed one brake light back then, shovel. Must be clearly visible 50 feet to the rear. He complies.

The plate on this car could have been either a '65 or a '67, they were similar except for the year [[with the UM colors and legends).
    It's a 64 or 65 Oldsmobile Jetstar. If it had buckets and a console it was a Jetstar I, if it had a bench seat it was a Jetstar 88. I had the 64 version. Wish I still had it. Same color as the movie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Jetstar_I

Here is a video that shows the Jetstar. Good view of console and clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdPT...layer_embedded

Special thanks to Andrew in Windsor!

I noticed there were special flags all over the crossing, but hadn't a clue what they celebrated. Thanks for sharing the excellent image of the Centennial flag.
    This is firm confirmation that this was 1967 !!

For Oldsmobile fans, the in car shots were taken from the family 1964 Olds Dynamic 88 [[Gold). There is another one in red captured being grilled by the customs guys.

Merci,

Leo B

Shoulder belts,side marker lights,dual piston master cyl.and headrests were all part of the 1968 Fed. mandated safety regs.The shoulder belts were the kind that clipped into the seat belt,and stored up on a clip on the headliner.Love those Oldsmobiles!

Just a side note.
    and most of all he used a tripod to keep the camera steady.
    Today I learned of an ingenious alternative to a tripod. Make a loop [[of the right diameter -- experiment) of inelastic twine or rope. Stand on one end of the loop with both feet and wrap the other end over the top of the camera. Hold the camera up so the loop stays taught. Unlike a tripod, it wouldn't hold your camera's weight for you but it would hold it steady. It's cheap, fits in your pocket, and could be improvised in the field in a pinch.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-06-09 at 08:11 PM.

Good info Lucky and Jimaz, Two things I hope to get in 2010 are a camcorder and a newer car, Needless to say Lucky, I got me a Bagel.. And my phone camcorder ain't cutting it.
    Seeing this makes me wanna visit my cousin in Toronto, I have allways liked going to Canada, Cept for the border crossing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2