Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

We had a Rosebud milkman, and baked goods delivered by the Mills Bakery man. Closest thing to this now would be Schwan's home delivery of frozen foods. I don't know if any grocery stores in the Detroit area do it, but there is at least one here in rural Minnesota that lets you order online and either pick it up, or within about 15 miles they will deliver...for a small fee. I wish they delivered 35 miles out...I'd jump at the chance for home delivery...THEY would carry the bags in. We shop once a month and only buy things like milk, bread, and eggs in between.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    . . . here in rural Minnesota .

grumpy, you mentioned rural Minnesota. I know it's a big place but, the mother of my Spring Garden bride of 33 years was born and raised in Avon, MN [somewhere very near Lake Wobegon ]. Are you anywhere near there?

Turkeycall......We're roughly 75 miles northwest of Avon. Northwest of Alexandria and east of Fergus Falls. Not too far off of I-94.

One of the reasons home delivery was viable back in the 50's and 60's was that most women were stay at home moms, and most families only had one car. So, during the week, when dad was at work, mom needed some way to get fresh dairy and baked goods into the house without asking her husband to stop on the way home. With the advent of more women working outside, it wasn't such an issue to do the grocery shopping on the way home from work instead of on the weekend. Also, most families, even if the mother is stay at home have 2 vehicles now, so home delivery isn't much of an issue.

I don't think home delivery of anything in Detroit is viable...the delivery people would be frequent targets for robbery or worse. I wonder how many homes still have open and usable "milk chutes" on the side of the house? It was an easy way to get in if you locked yourself out...just find a skinny kid to crawl through and open the door. Our house didn't have a milk chute...we had a metal insulated box that sat by the side door. Have a friend that had a milk chute that opened into a broom closet. She heard thumping and bumping in there and opened it and her cat jumped out carrying a live rabbit! Now days, it might be a burglar doing the thumping and bumping.