Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
I travel quite a bit for work, too. Just came back from Philadelphia. I guess the Detroit equivalent to Reading Terminal Market is Eastern Market, but I wondered why we couldn't have sort of an "Eastern Market West" in an old building downtown.

And the Philadelphia Macy's, all decorated for Christmas, made me cry. It was absolutely beautiful. I cried... and I was furious that I never, EVER got to see OUR Hudson's building like that, just because I was born too late. No one my age [[32) or younger has any memories of the glory days of Detroit... save for the MCS.

My sister, who is 29, and I remember taking our dad there when his father died. She was 5. I was 8. It was 1985. And we remember looking up... we remember the awe of being in such a beautiful place. I suppose that it was in its dying days then, but in my childish memory, I don't remember that.

Almost 20 years later, I ended up in Grand Central Station for the first time. I was hoping to have ten times the awe-filled experience. I did not.

Maybe it's time for us dreamers to face facts. The majority of those in the city and in the suburbs don't give a d*mn about what becomes of our monumental architecture. Now that there's no "Super Bowl" in the near future to plan for, and the economy may never be the same, we might have to re-envision what Detroit could be like in the 21st century. Maybe the phoenix-like nature of our fair metropolis isn't a horrible thing... after all, we've come back several times before.

Maybe we'll never see the glory of the MCS again. Maybe we can plan for new glories that will make people marvel by mid-century.
Sooo, you say you never saw it, but then you say that you did. Which is it?