Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

OK, so they haven't been replaced by new residents [[I think everyone already knew that). Eighty percent of the population left. Remaining twenty percent probably not Catholic. Church closes. New church opens in suburbia. Life goes on. Church is the people, not the building. White flight sure; Catholic flight too. You expect people to stay just because they built a church in their neighborhood? I know the design of their church wasn't the reason for leaving, but it's not the reason for staying either.

Default church

I know a church that was built in the 1800s that is still operating. It's name is St John-St Luke and it is on Gratiot and Russell. It is behind the candle and insense store on Russell the south side of Gratiot. It is a very old building where the parishoners hold service once a week on Sunday at 10:30am. It is a sight to behold if anyone cares to go inside to look

Not really a church goer myself, I look back at my parents churches, Gethseneme Lutheran. Temple Baptist, and St. Leo's. only the latter is there as it was. As a Gen X'r I realize that the church I was raised in will be something diferent when I am older or gone.
    I marvel at those churches that keep going and am saddened by the ones left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I know a church that was built in the 1800s that is still operating. It's name is St John-St Luke and it is on Gratiot and Russell. It is behind the candle and insense store on Russell the south side of Gratiot. It is a very old building where the parishoners hold service once a week on Sunday at 10:30am. It is a sight to behold if anyone cares to go inside to look
    Yes, I love what little is left of the German heritage of that area. That church is on the US National Register of Historic Places. The former St. John's German Evangelical Church at 2120 Russell, was designed by Julius Hess of GAR Building fame, and was the oldest German protestant church in Detroit, dating form 1874. Here's the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_J...gelical_Church
    Last edited by kathy2trips; December-12-09 at 05:53 AM.

Here is some more of the East Grand Blvd Methodist Church o Broken Dreams...built in 1908......u guys gotta see my collection......who wants more

Attachment 4282

Attachment 4283

Attachment 4284

This link might interest some:

Detroit Catholic Churches--Souvenir Album Published in 1910

Another thread could be devoted to the old neighborhood bars of Detroit. Each neighborhood, in addition to it's own church, also had it's own neighborhood bars. Many had ethnic food, pickled eggs, etc. to go along with the beer and spirits. Another way to relieve one's pain and disappointment!
    Last edited by Bobl; December-12-09 at 02:00 PM.