Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Lets get this thread back on topic guys.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit48212 View Post
    Visit www.forgottendetroit.com, then click the album for saint cyrils. St. Cyril was a large church on St. Cyril street in Zipcode 48213, a street parallel, to Van Dyke, one block west, north of Harper and ended at Grinnell[[about 1/2 mile s of E.McNichols). The Catholic church closed in 1989, relocated in Sterling Heights. The building was sold to two other denominations/congregations prior to it's permanent closing & then eventual demoliton a few years ago. The website I suggest has photos of the enormous beautiful structure in various years of abandonment plus demolition photos.Lots & lots of good photos. I grew up in the area, attended St. Cyril grade & high school & discovered the suggested website while searching for info on the old neighborhood on the internet. The old Eastown theatre, which is still standing, is in the same area as the old St. Cyrils, albeit several blocks southeast but in walking distance. That whole area was a gem in it's day, lots of good retail, everything & anything in walking distance. Too bad so many old neighborhoods like it in Detroit didn't survive and evolve like old suburban neighborhoods such as downtown Royal Oak, Ferndale, even Hamtramck.
    Thanks for posting this! And welcome to the forum. I wasn't aware that this church existed, I bet it was pretty nice in its day. It's too bad what happene to it along with the neighborhood.
    Last edited by DetroitZack; December-19-09 at 01:20 AM.