Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit featured on House Hunters

Caught an episode of House Hunters the other night and it featured a couple who were looking for a place to live within the city of Detroit. They had a budget of $350-450K [[must be nice).

The three places they looked at were:
    1. A converted industrial loft with 17 foot ceilings near the riverfront [[it looked like it was near The Rattlesnake Club, but I could be wrong).
    2. A 1912 home in Indian Village..
    3. A condo in the Book-Cadillac Hotel hotel.

Won't tell you which one they picked, but it was nice to see the city featured in such a positive light on a nationally televised show.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Caught an episode of House Hunters the other night and it featured a couple who were looking for a place to live within the city of Detroit. They had a budget of $350-450K [[must be nice).

The three places they looked at were:
    1. A converted industrial loft with 17 foot ceilings near the riverfront [[it looked like it was near The Rattlesnake Club, but I could be wrong).
    2. A 1912 home in Indian Village..
    3. A condo in the Book-Cadillac Hotel hotel.

Won't tell you which one they picked, but it was nice to see the city featured in such a positive light on a nationally televised show.
    For that price you could get probably top of the line accomodations at the Book Cadillac, or close to it. That would be my pick. This one,with the spiral starway:
    http://www.bookcadillacresidences.com/unit_2902.pdf

Came across the episode the other day while flipping the channels. It was really nice to see the city portrayed as a desirable place to be. I would have picked what they picked as well.

allow me to ruin the surprise, they picked the condo in the book listed for $400k.

The loft was at 200 River Place and list for $387k and is the one I would have chosen

Does anyone know which Village house they were looking at and how much the asking price was?

I saw the episode. The Indian Village place was by far way superior to anything else. And at that price? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    I saw the episode. The Indian Village place was by far way superior to anything else. And at that price? Unbelievable.
    Does anyone know the approximate date these episodes were filmed. There was a couple that I bet had to have been filmed in 2007 or 2008 wasn't quite sure.

it was filmed in the summer, not sure if it was 08 or 09 though

whatever they purchased is probably worth half or less today...

good investment!!!!

Since what they purchased has already been revealed, a little more info on it--the HOA fees for the Book-Cadillac condo are $1000 a month! That includes a semi-private entrance with a 24 hour attendant/concierge. The show never elaborated on any other details--I would have assume this includes at least one parking spot, though. We're guessing it was filmed during this past summer, based on the wife's lack of clothes. If I were her, I'd think twice about walking down Woodward dressed like that.

By the way, I would have taken the Indian Village house. Lots of pewabic tile, huge house, great price [[in the mid-$300s). They just don't build 'em like that anymore.

Based on the number of spaces marked off for Book-Cadillac condo residents in the Griswold garage, I have to think that most, if not all, units have two parking spaces at the Book-Cadillac. I also wonder how the fact that there are still a significant number of unsold is affecting the condo dues. If the developer is paying the dues for the unsold units it technically owns, I would imagine it would have no effect. But if those dues are being shifted to others, then that could increase the monthly dues, too.