Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Thief removing schoolyard equipment in broad daylight

It's most disheartening. Just down the street and to the left on John R is the Barber School playground. To my delight, some years ago the Tabernacle Church put a major effort into building a completely new playscape and initially I enthusiastically took my young son there to play.
    Unfortunately, the school did not turn on its security lights at night, nor did it appear to take any interest in the playscape upkeep. By rapid degrees, the playground declined until there was no point in taking young children there.

Without security guards at these two places, I can guarantee that people have already been inside these places looking for scrap. First the wiring disappears, then the plumbing and finally the nice roof. Just removing the wiring is enough to deter anyone from taking over the building. And voila, the perfect Detroit blight recipe. I give these places about 3 more months.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Without security guards at these two places, I can guarantee that people have already been inside these places looking for scrap. First the wiring disappears, then the plumbing and finally the nice roof. Just removing the wiring is enough to deter anyone from taking over the building. And voila, the perfect Detroit blight recipe. I give these places about 3 more months.
    Security guards? 24/7? You're dreaming, even Illich wouldn't do that. If they cement blocked up all the windows on the first and second floor that MIGHT deter the scrappers for a while.