Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Marc, I wish we had the same respect for land that you Nederlanders to. Perhaps if we had to wrest it from the sea and fight to keep it as you do we would. I think it has made the Dutch both brilliant and more civil. As a young traveler in 1970 to Amsterdam I saw how well the Dutch treated visitors who didn't have a lot of money. Whereas other cities in Europe discouraged or even harrassed them, Amsterdam was open-minded and friendly publishing papers telling of the least expensive places to sleep, eat and how to get medical aid it needed. Now that we are older and better off, we have not forgotten that.

Neilr: thanks for the scans. Think I will order the book, since it is exactly what I am looking for. There will be a lot of other interesting [[non-Motown related) houses as well.

And Lowell, you make me feel proud of my country!! But let me tell you that when coming in 1994 to Detroit for the first time on our honeymoon, we were treated with a lot of respect as well. Coming by car from Toronto [[cheaper flight) we were questioned at the US border where we were heading. And when the lady discovered that we were heading to Detroit she said that we must be out of our minds to go there! So we were warned. But we learned of lot of people all around town that were helpful to us and gave us directions to nice restaurants that we would never have found ourselves. I remember that a guy from a record shop advised Bobby Moore's Blind Fish. We had a great time there.

Shortly before his death we met Ronnie White from The Miracles at the re-opening of the Motown Museum at West Grand Blvd. We talked and he invited us to him home. What surprised us is that everyone took the time to talk. I noticed the Motown 50 party at the end of this week. Apart from the entrance fee [[$ 1000) I would have to pay for the airplane ticket and hotel. Too bad! What an opportunity that would have been.

Hi there, I'm a student at the University of Michigan, and I am putting together a tour of childhood places of Motown artists. A kind of "Before they were stars" if you will. I've been having a really hard time finding these places and granted, I'm looking for addresses, so those aren't readily available.

I'm looking for Otis William's childhood home, and where Ronnie White lived [[where Stevie Wonder was discovered) and where Levi Stubbs lived, etc.

People I'm focusing on are those who were born or have lived in Detroit and what they did before signing with Motown. Any information would be excellent, and if you have any anecdotes to share, that would be great as well. This tour will involve performance and include personal narratives as well as bio information.

Let me know if you want to help! Thanks!

Mabellechell, I would ask for this on the Soulful Detroit Forum where ex-Motowners exchange this type of info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2