Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Hi Marc, if you want to dip below the Motown Era and see what remains of Berry Gordy's haunts, good luck. There ain't much. I saw Hastings St mentioned and that street figures prominently in Gordy's life, as others have mentioned. Rick Beall, who posted on this thread, has a wonderful site which offers a photo tour of Hastings St. - www.paradisevalleyblues.com
    Most of the Motown musicians were jazz guys who had "other lives" quite separated from the Motown hubub. Start with Rick's fine site, the man's done some original research, and you can actually tour the remains during your visit.
    Have you read Gordy's biography [["To Be Loved")? Has some good info about John R and the Flame Show Bar. You can drive John R but the only site still standing [[to my knowledge - any corrections welcome) is at John R and Erskine, site of a two story ballroom where dances sponsored by the Twelve Horsemen club were held in the 40's. I think the Masons still own it. The ballrooms were intact several years ago, and if you're lucky they may allow you in.
    There are some maps in "Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960" and a discussion of Motown's roots.
    Last edited by Jimg; November-13-09 at 02:42 PM.