Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is it even feasible to convert a Superfund site to housing?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I noticed the work too. That graceful building was being stripped every day and the scrappers penetrated any make-do barricade that had been erected. I caled the numbers on the for Sale signs, but they had been disconnected, as the poster above notes, that real estate business closed down.

I hope whoever is working on that building this week has a great plan. The open courtyard alone would be remarable. But it seems to need a lot of money.
    Oh man, I use to regularly see scrappers pulling their trucks out the Fort Street opening and going to the scrap yard further west on Fort Street. I'm very glad to see work is being done.

A picture from the other day...

Detroit, MI by Zack Blackerby, on Flickr

That is an amazing building! I sure hope it is being saved! Thanks for all the info and pics!

After some "research" I can confirm it is/was being turned into apartments. I'm not sure if they are still actively working on it. I know security is still there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I checked it out a couple weeks ago. I had driven by many times but didn't know if I would be able to explore it. Good info, Gsgeorge. I can post interior pictures sometime if anyone would like.
    Hey DetroitZack....Please post those pics of the interior at Roberts Brass....please, please, pretty please. STINKY BOY!!!!!

okay so it looks like I was wrong. They ARE still working on it. I hadn't seen anyone there in a few weeks, I was worried they stopped, like the industrial buildings at Vinewood and Toledo [[wtf?!). Check out my flickr set for this building. Note: I will be organizing and uploading more pictures later, it is terribly unorganized right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7197814...7628678131889/

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if they turned the 3rd story of Roberts Brass into a penthouse?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    okay so it looks like I was wrong. They ARE still working on it. I hadn't seen anyone there in a few weeks, I was worried they stopped, like the industrial buildings at Vinewood and Toledo [[wtf?!). Check out my flickr set for this building. Note: I will be organizing and uploading more pictures later, it is terribly unorganized right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7197814...7628678131889/

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if they turned the 3rd story of Roberts Brass into a penthouse?
    So what is there no security at this place or did they invite you in?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Too bad the clock in the front is long since gone.
    That's exactly what I thought the first time I drove by this building! Still notice that detail whenever I pass by. I hope something good develops there.
    -DVD
    Last edited by DetroitVideoDaily; January-04-12 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo

I knew this building very well when I was in highschool/college about 14 years ago. I worked out of a salvage company in Wyandotte and we had the rights to everything in the place. It was used by an older gentleman that had the place TOTALLY packed with all sorts of medical and scientific gear along with huge deposits of other random stuff. His apparent intention was to sell it but it seems he had a slight hording issue. I have something I snagged from the place on display at my house still to this day.

To list a few things in the building that were kind of amazing...

An MRI coil along with most of the outer hardware.
    Electron Micoscopes [[Radiation)
    Laser knifes for medical operations.
    TONS of lab equipment and glassware.
    Hospital Beds and all associated hardware.
    Autoclaves

Just thousands and thousands of square feet of every type of lab equipment you could ever think of. I'm not kidding it was endless and overwhelming. I can't even scratch the surface of the amount of stuff in the building. There was sections of OLD OLD TV's the size of my house. The place was PACKED cealing to floor on every level including the basement. I remember finding emergency food in the damn bomb shelter, the crackers were still good and they were 40 years old...

The building was destroyed on the inisde. The floor on one of the levels was sunk down several feet and wrapped around the beams below it. The center of the building is a totally open courtyard that you could drive into. We openly sold just about everything we could in the place. I am SO HAPPY to see someone is doing something with it. We all said to ourselves that it was a cool place but even in the condition it was in 14 years ago I'm floored someone is working on it. I can't belive the structure and/or foundation could meet any building codes.

The clock was silent auctioned and someone has it somewhere, so its not dead. =)

I would love to go back to that building back then and go though it better than I did.

And BTW, this is my first post.
    Last edited by BEEAH; January-06-12 at 06:13 PM.

At one time there was a beautiful executive office with a beautiful built in fire place, which i believe was located on the third floor, right hand corner. This was back in the eighty's when the building was still in decent shape. The office is probably no longer in decent shape.

Thanks for the info. I recently joined myself, welcome BEEAH!
    -DVD

I just happened to pass by it today:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2