Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Hybrid View

Default Cobo Hall history

Just unearthed the following little tidbit regarding Cobo Hall for all of you Detroit history fans.

The first event held at Cobo Hall was the 43rd Auto Industry Dinner, held on October 17, 1960. President Eisenhower was the keynote speaker, and the ceremony aired live on WXYZ-TV.

Here are a couple of photos of Cobo Hall taken in Sept. 1960, shortly before it opened [[previously seen in the "Vintage Kodachrome - Detroit Landmarks" HoF thread).

View from the west [[full size):

Original ramp to the roof parking deck [[full size):

May 1961 aerial view [[courtesy of DTE/Culma):

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Just unearthed the following little tidbit regarding Cobo Hall for all of you Detroit history fans.

The first event held at Cobo Hall was the 43rd Auto Industry Dinner, held on October 17, 1960. President Eisenhower was the keynote speaker, and the ceremony aired live on WXYZ-TV.
    1960? I thought Monica Conyers built Cobo. She must be older than she looks.

I think its called MoCo hall now.

I like calling her MonCon or MoCon instead, emphasis on the Con. Fits what she really is.

Aerial photo from 1958

Attachment 538
    wsu/vmc

8. Default

Good info - great photos! I thought it was from the 70's!

I've often wondered how much money has neen spent over the years on expansions, etc...
    It seems to me they tear it up again two or three years after a previous refurb.
    I'll wager the total is billions!

... nope... only 1 rehab [[and expansion) was undertaken [[under CAY). And when CAY wanted another $25 million to finish the job [[the side facing the river), the funding was rejected, so the stretch along the river [[and Cobo Arena) are still in their 1960 original state.

I remember going to some of the big time wrestling matches at the Cobo arena. As I recall, they alternated between the Olympia and Cobo back in the 60's.
    Great fun!

I have very warm memories of the original Cobo. A couple members of my family worked there. Every year we attended the auto show, autorama, often the home & flower show, went several meetings/banquets there, and, of course, caught several concerts, boxing, track [[the NCAA indoor championships every year), and a few seasons worth of Pistons games.

Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, baby...