Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

whoa...!

i'd actually like to see what it originally looked like.

Dang, $130,000!

http://www.moveinmichigan.com/Search...700614868V58Q1

according to this, it was a bank-owned sale

6 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, steam heat, well/septic ... 4.65 acres irregular

$130,000 !

I just looked back at the old thread and see that Burroughs designed the Redford Branch Library. It is gone now, but as a student I spent many hours in that building. It was beautiful. I am so glad that someone purchased that house and hopefully will be able to restore it to its original beauty. It would be a shame to loose a place like that.

Looks like Burbrook is getting a restoration:

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...being+restored

those hometown life articles seems to have come down for some reason, heres' the google cache'd ones

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Drove down Locust yesterday and I'm sorry to report that all work has stopped and the building is now open to the elements.

No progress since Lowell's pics from back in April. There is some sort of notice nailed to the outside of the property, but I did not get out of the car to read it.

The front door is gone.

On the plus side, while cruising through the circle drive, what appeared to be a female golden eagle took off in front of us.

Default Libraries and Highland Park Northern Branch Ys

Mr Burrowes designed libraries in the area, including the Francis Parkman Branch of the DPL on Oakman Boulevard [[with Frank Eurich) and the Gabriel Richard Branch on Grand River. He was also the architect for the YWCA and YMCA on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Drove down Locust yesterday and I'm sorry to report that all work has stopped and the building is now open to the elements.
    that would be truly awful if they didn't restore it. I almost bought it just so someone wouldn't come and tear it down, i bet that's the plan now. the repairs that house needed were insane. i took a crap load of bad pictures when it was for sale: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drdamour/tags/burbrook/

It is interesting to see where Detroit's greastest architects lived. Many lived in modest homes with unique features. Sorry to see the Burrowes estate in such bad shape...

Has anyone been in contact with the Farmington Historical Society? I'm sure that they would not want to see Farmington lose this home.

Quote Originally Posted by Historyguy View Post
    Mr Burrowes designed libraries in the area, including the Francis Parkman Branch of the DPL on Oakman Boulevard [[with Frank Eurich) and the Gabriel Richard Branch on Grand River. He was also the architect for the YWCA and YMCA on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park.
    From the January 2011 Detroit Public Library Newsletter....
    Grand Re-opening Celebration of the Parkman Branch Library

Grand Re-opening January 20, 2011 @ 3:00 p.m.

After months and months of renovations and upgrades, the Parkman Branch Library is scheduled to re-open on
    January 20, 2011. The new Parkman Branch Library now includes a Technology, Literacy and CareerCenter or what we like to refer to it as the TLCCenter @ Parkman. All thanks to a major grant awarded to the library from the Knight Foundation.

"The Detroit Public Library is delighted to partner with the Knight Foundation to address a critical need in the city of
    Detroit," says Juliet Machie, Deputy Director, Detroit Public Library. "Many of our residents who are literacy challenged are unable to secure family sustaining jobs. This program would provide the help they need to qualify and participate in job training programs."

The new
    TLCCenter @ Parkman will feature a dedicated staff of paid tutors to help combat illiteracy in the city of Detroit.

The library is leading the charge with an aggressive approach to reach out to Detroiters in need. The new TLC center serves as a major resource to improve the quality of life for residents and serve as a quality learning environment to motivate and challenge our young and old to read.

Join the Celebration
    Music~Entertainment~Fun
    Thursday, January 20, 2011
    3:00 p.m.

Parkman Branch Library
    1766 Oakman Blvd.
    Detroit, MI48238
    313-481-1810

Might be interesting to check out the renovations and upgrades to this magnificent DPL building!!

this house is in absulute horible condition now. construction is stop its forclosed and u can still get it but it will cost so much to repair. so many people break in to the house and look around. its huge

how do you know it's in foreclosure?

Not sure if was truly foreclosed, but it's back up for sale for 60K more than it's sale price!

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...Hills-MI-48335

anyone wanna go halfsies?

I was in the Jacob Siegal Mansion on W. Boston last night. Blue prints are still there, original and altered, including the contractors' prints. Burrowes name at the bottom of all of 'em.

It is in remarkably stunning condition, borderline untouched. The servants quarters seem to go on forever, and the tub is 66" long. Elevator is still there and so is the central vacuum, but neither are operational. The cabinets in the butler's pantry glide effortlessly, without the assistance of modern "wheels and tracks." The floors throughout are all quarter-sawn oak, perpendicularly opposed or herring-boned, depending on the room, [[same applies to the chauffeur's quarters). The paneling is all quarter-sawn oak as well, and lines the walls of the downstairs, [[including the 92" high doors), and part of the ceiling in the grand foyer that is not 25' high. All the bathrooms are original, including the foot-bath and the towel warmer in the master, and feature Crane fixtures thoughout.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; October-27-11 at 11:36 AM.

The Jacob Siegel Mansion is on W. Boston at Woodward, right? Never knew that the Jacob Siegel Mansion was a Burrowes design. Thanks for the description!!

Arden Park has several of his designs...will post pics soon

Kathleen, you would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Arden Park has several of his designs...will post pics soon
    30 Arden Park built in 1915 for Max Brook is the only Burrowes commission I can find in AP-BB historic district. I would love to know where the others are.

I just moved into the Jacob Siegel house and had Hamtragedy over the other night. Here's a couple photos. Name:  IMG_0379.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  42.4 KBName:  IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  60.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mawson View Post
    I just moved into the Jacob Siegel house and had Hamtragedy over the other night. Here's a couple photos. Name:  IMG_0379.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  42.4 KBName:  IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  60.7 KB
    Watch the front windows Bill Worden once told that the house has a tendency to shift and crack the front windows every so often.

Isn't one of the Dodge Brothers mansion in that area?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Isn't one of the Dodge Brothers mansion in that area?

Stromberg2
    John Dodge lived on East Boston Blvd, north side of the street, situated just south of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral. Today the house is owned by the Archdiocese of Detroit, and has been used as the Cardinal's residence.

http://detroit1701.org/ArdenPark_Hist.htm

I am pretty sure this is a Burrowes design in Arden Park. I didn't use the Farmington Library bio to discover who designed this house though. I just happened across it when browsing old Detroit architectural magazines from the 20s.

Name:  Detroit122.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  64.6 KB
    Last edited by Patrick; October-28-11 at 11:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast