Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Here's the actual launching, I believe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWLNGJQ9Kc
    Thanks OG. Very informative video. At about 1:30 into the video, as the camera sweeps from east to north, you see two structues in the distance with a large metal, frame structure appearing to their left as the camera continues to sweep. Those lower structures are the ballast tanks of the floating dry-dock of the GLEW. It was the largest dry-dock on the Great Lakes at that time. It was able to lift very large lakers completely out of the water. That dry-dock, for all appearances, is sitting in the slip that is now the GLSBC. The tall, metal frame structure appearing to its left is what we called 'The Block House'. I think that was it's generally accepted, and maybe its official name. It's now gone. Anyone interested in buying the beers and burgers at my friend's bar, about two blocks away, can have a tour guided by me, if you think you can put up with me for that long [[that's my girlfriend's line).

MikeM, your third photo posted in #69 is additional support for what I said. You mentioned the spectators on the dry-dock. That's it. That's the drydock I mentioned and it's sitting in the GLSBC slip. Thank you. I'm not gloating. I'm relieved. At my age, sometimes you begin to have doubts about your own memory. What did I say?

I did look at the pics Mike M. posted and they do seem to verify what 1Kielson is saying and my original claim of GLT's slip being the launch slip. Next year when I have my tin can out, I will make a trip there and take another look at the end of the slip. My photos [[that Chick's dad took 1Kielson) they were on the water at the end of the slip so I'll look there again. I'm still up for a ride down there and it's still called the Marsh, actually the "long marsh" the "short marsh" is the tank farms along the Rouge River along Marion where it's perpendicular to Jefferson.

Thanks Gaz, as always you tell a riveting story.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    I did look at the pics Mike M. posted and they do seem to verify what 1Kielson is saying and my original claim of GLT's slip being the launch slip. Next year when I have my tin can out, I will make a trip there and take another look at the end of the slip. My photos [[that Chick's dad took 1Kielson) they were on the water at the end of the slip so I'll look there again. I'm still up for a ride down there and it's still called the Marsh, actually the "long marsh" the "short marsh" is the tank farms along the Rouge River along Marion where it's perpendicular to Jefferson.
    That was never the 'Marsh' to us. We hung out along Marion, or the ID [[ I don't know where they came up with this?), as it was called, short for the Industrial Highway, on either side of Great Lakes Avenue and along Ironton Street which ran south from Great Lakes Avenue to Ecorse and Tecumseh Road, the main gate to Great Lakes Steel. That's where the action was : frogs, toads, polywogs, tadpoles, garter snakes, salamanders, musk [[mush) rats, rabbits, foxes, pheasants, etc. And all kinds of woods and thickets. Heavens knows what pollutants we were palying in. Marion, or the Industrial Highway was our race track and proving grounds. Had many a joy ride down there, including a few collisions.

I've seen the photos MikeM posted many times. Somewhere amongst those pictures is a photo of a long ago friend of mine who was either the Chief Hull Engineer for the Fitz or some such title. He later worked at Hansen Welding, a ship yard in Toledo. We'd often talk shipping when he came into my place of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    ...Look closely - the tanks in the upper right behind the smokestack are on the north side of Great Lakes Avenue, across the railroad tracks.
    I meant to say the stack and tanks were north of Great Lakes, and I just edited my original posting. And I didn't mean to sound bitchy either, 'cause I ain't. Just like to solve puzzles.

You didn't sound bitchy AND you did help to solve a puzzle. That is - a puzzle[[ed) Old Fart. Thanks.

The Fitz was one of the largest ships on the Great Lakes for many years and was the one of the largest ever built at GLEW. The Homer and the Jackson were considered the Fitz's sister ships, having been built from identical, or near identical plans. In later years of the Fitz's life, ultra-lakers [[approximately 1,000 feet long and beams around 100 feet wide) were beginning to be built. Some built in sections and joined together at later dates and locations. The first of which was the Stewart J. Cort. My friend I referred to in an earlier post who was hull engineer on the Fitz, maintained the Fitz and the Homer were identical plans. He said in those days, it was unlikely, due to the state of technology, that they'd be identical upon completion. His statements were made in the 70's. You can imagine how far we've advanced in accuracy since then. The Fitz was listed as 729 Feet long and 75 feet wide and the Homer as 730x75. The Herbert Jackson was around 700 feet, give or take a few, and 75 feet wide. Attached photo is the Jackson taken last spring at Nicholson Terminal and Dock, sitting across from the Bob Lo Boats. I was startled to see her, thinking she'd been scrapped. I had to call BillyBBrew to confirm she was the same Jackson.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; December-03-09 at 01:17 AM.

November 10 - Edmund Fitzgerald Memorial Service
    . A memorial service for the men lost on the Edmund Fitzgerald was held on
    November 10 at Dr. Henri Belanger Park in River Rouge, Mi.
    The service will be held near the Mariners Memorial Lighthouse beginning at 6:00 p.m.
    The tug boat will be on hand to take out a wreath to be placed on the river.
    The service will feature a plaque presentation, bell ringing, lantern lighting,
    and refreshments will be served.

The service was at River Rouge Michigan on the Detroit River next to where the ship was
    built at the slips and on the other side is where Zug Island is located.
    MAP

A Special
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    Open House

Was open to the public from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the River Rouge Historical Museum

River Rouge Historical Museum
    10750 W. Jefferson Ave.
    River Rouge, Michigan 48218

[[Formerly Gallagher Funeral Home)

MAP

Roscoe here the large slip is the one for the fitz I have film and pictures that prove this not the smaller slip at the boat club

Thanks
    www.ssedmundfitzgerald.com

Default Edmund Fitzgerald 34th Program River Rouge, MI

November 10 - Edmund Fitzgerald Memorial Service
    . A memorial service for the men lost on the Edmund Fitzgerald was held on
    November 10 at Dr. Henri Belanger Park in River Rouge, Mi.
    The service will be held near the Mariners Memorial Lighthouse beginning at 6:00 p.m.
    The tug boat will be on hand to take out a wreath to be placed on the river.
    The service will feature a plaque presentation, bell ringing, lantern lighting,
    and refreshments will be served.

The service was at River Rouge Michigan on the Detroit River next to where the ship was
    built at the slips and on the other side is where Zug Island is located.
    MAP
    A Special
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    Open House

Was open to the public from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the River Rouge Historical Museum

River Rouge Historical Museum
    10750 W. Jefferson Ave.
    River Rouge, Michigan 48218
    [[Formerly Gallagher Funeral Home)
    MAP

Default Free 34th Anniversary Post Card

Each year, in honour of the Edmund Fitgerald crew, a bell is rung 29 times during ' Last Watch Ceremony.' The 30th ring is for all mariners lost on the Great Lakes.

Official 2009
    S S Edmund Fitzgerald Post Card
    for the 34th Anniversary Program
    River Rouge, Michigan
    E-Mail Us for a FREE Post Card

Meet Daughter of ROBERT C. RAFFERTY
    I am honored and excited to be invited to attend the upcoming service held this
    November 10th in River Rouge.I will be coming from Kansas to honor my dad and the other
    28 crewmen.My father was the " Old Cook" referred to in the Gordon Lightfoot song.
    There will be so many events having to do with the FITZ I hope to be able to fit it all in.
    I think it's great to include the school kids learning about the Great Lakes and the ships
    that have sailed on them.
    I grew up in Toledo Ohio and watched from many ports my dads ship sail off with a load
    of iron ore or coal. Those good memories never go away. Hope to see you there.
    All are welcome to honor and remember that fateful night.

Pam Johnson
    Daughter of ROBERT C. RAFFERTY

Meet Author, Raymond Ramsay M. Sc.
    Author, Raymond Ramsay M. Sc. was a member of the original design team at Great Lakes Engineering Works during the design and construction of the largest and fastest ore carrier ever built on the Great Lakes.
    The author, together with a group of volunteers retired ship captains and maritime experts have uncovered secrets and unveiled evidence to prove why the ore carrier sank to the bottom of Lake Superior on November 10, 1975.
    Raymond Ramsay will have his books available at the November 10, 2009 program.

Here whats new about the Edmund Fitzgerald and the 2009 service
    November 8, 2009 Interview mp3 13.74 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Fitzgerald View Post
    Roscoe here the large slip is the one for the fitz I have film and pictures that prove this not the smaller slip at the boat club

Thanks
    www.ssedmundfitzgerald.com
    Roscoe, thanks but we've proven it already. Unless someone doubts us. Then we'll have to take a walking tour and the doubters buy burgers and beers.

Roscoe, thanks for the posts and information. Here's the aerial photo of the GLSBC and the slip where The Fitz was launched, copied from Raymond Ramsay's book you and I mentioned in our previous posts. I recommend Ramsay's book for anyone interested in The Fitz and Great Lakes Shipping.

Here's the article resulting from my suggestion to Kim Heron at the Metro Times last year for inclusion in MT's, 'Best of ' issue. I also suggested the title. As usual, they got the location wrong. They said Ecorse, but it's River Rouge. That's after I emphasized Rouge to them. In MT's defense, they're not the only ones to get it wrong.

Because I detect more than slight interest in this topic . . .

Speaking of John Polacsek and the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, as 1KielsonDrive did on Thursday afternoon, three talented Detroit News storytellers today posted a multimedia presentation with video [[4:30) shot as ham operators at the Belle Isle museum sent and received Lost Mariners Remembrance memorial messages from vessels worldwide this week.

Footage also includes recollections of That Day from Janet Burke of Grosse Pointe Park, who grew up with Fitz crewman Thomas Bentsen. And yes, also the soundtrack from a certain ballad.

Impressive work by photographer Donna Terek, producer Max Ortiz and writer Louis Aguilar.

1KielsonDrive, Is there another boat under the water in that slip? I see a dark outline from Google Earth, and also in the pic you posted above? any idea what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post
    1KielsonDrive, Is there another boat under the water in that slip? I see a dark outline from Google Earth, and also in the pic you posted above? any idea what it was?
    That's an interesting photo. When was it taken? Some of these satellite pictures are way out of date. Regardless, it sure looks like the outline of a hull. I've cruised in that slip and walked by it, but I don't remember any mention of a sunken boat. If I'm down there soon, I'll see if I can get in and inspect it. Maybe the guys at the G Tugs will have an idea what it is.

Looks like a sunken rail barge:

Name:  sb1.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  47.9 KB

Attachment 3880

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Looks like a sunken rail barge:

Name:  sb1.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  47.9 KB

Attachment 3880
    Thanks MikeM, you're a good problem solver. I haven't walked onto the property for quite a while because it's now posted again. After removing the National Steel security gates some years ago [[8 - 10?), which allowed unimpeded access to the GLEW/Fitz slip, as well as the GLSBC, I and friends had walk-throughs fairly often. One of the old GLEW buildings was still standing - barely. It's now gone and they use the area for bulk materials. As you can see in MikeM's photos. Now, it's more difficult to access the Fitz slip. I'll see about asking the G Tuggers what they may know if I get down there.

PAGING BillyBBrew! Tell us what you know about the photos of the sunken barge posted by RagTopLover and MikeM, please. Billy is much more familiar with the waterfront in recent years, and day to day, than most people. Billy, please talk to the tuggers and get us some scuttlebutt. Thanks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast