Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
Do we live in different cities? Sure, Detroit has its problems, but I just don't think it's really all that bad. Sure there are some streets that are pretty bad. I'll admit Cedar Ridge and Chalmers kind of shocked me, just homes in various states of abandonment, from newly foreclosed homes with new siding and windows, to homes that have been empty awhile with broken windows and open doors, to homes with the roofs burned off or nothing left but the brick work, to others that were just pies of rubble. Almost every home except for about three were completely abandoned on a mile stretch of this road, and one of those three was in the process of being boarded up.

That being said, majority of the neighborhoods in Detroit seem to be nicely kept homes and subdivisions with blight sprinkled in the mix, a burned out hulk here and there. I think it's getting worse in the outer suburban area of Detroit, but the inner city is stagnant or even getting better. There are tons of new buildings going up along our main roads right now, how could anyone overlook those!?
At least there are still some decent AND safe neighborhoods left in 48205 [[Although they have suffered from the recent mortgage crisis).

-North of 7 Mile between Schoenherr and Hoover,
-The area bounded by State Fair, Kelly, 8 Mile and Schoenherr plus
-The area bounded by Seymour, 7 Mile, Kelly and Hayes

If you want to see something shocking, The area between Alter Road & Conner between Warren and Jefferson is down right scary. I think it was either Drexel, Lenox or both, where you can drive down the entire street from Jefferson to Warren and not find one home standing [[and you can't even see the sidewalks and driveways) and these 2 blocks were filled with densely-built, well-kept homes just 30 years ago [[1980). The only thing left are blocks and blocks of weeds that are 4-5 feet tall. Now yes, there's urban decay in every big city. But I don't think there's any other major city in America that has declined to the extent I described so fast.

Also, you claim the inner city of Detroit is stagnant or getting better. I would beg to differ when looking at the neighborhoods north of Gratiot, south of I-94, east of the Eastern Market and west of [[let's say...) Van Dyke. But then again maybe our definition of inner city Detroit differs. The only street I see new buildings going up on is Woodward [[and this is mostly within the Grand Blvd. loop). In fact, along the rest of our main thoroughfares, I've seen more demoliton lately than constrctuion. The only reason the outer edges APPEAR to be getting worse is again because of the mortgage crisis, when truthfully growth in these areas have remained stagnant for the past decade or so.