Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kwame's Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The prosecutor in thug KK's case has a witness against him...any ideas as to who it may be?
    I wanted to say Carlita, but spouses cannot be asked to testify against spouses, from what I understand, right?

So make your move, Carlita! Be an ex-spouse and we can end all of this silliness

[[Ravine- have been enjoying and appreciating your posts)

It'll never happen, AroundTown.

Then he'd merely testify against her regarding the initial beat-downs at the Boogian Mansion party.

I'm pretty sure they cannot create immunity against any form of attempted murder. Surely most witnesses thought the one girl was dead on the lawn.

They probably never knew someone else had to finish the deed down in Atlanta later...doesn't make the one wielding the bat any less liable for the knock down.

So yeah, like it or not, Carlita will stay legally bound to the Big Diamond.

Ravine Guest

Uh... maybe my uncommon air of seriousness has caused some of you to take me too seriously, about one little thing... I shouldn't have used quote marks around that *$1.37 per month* bit, but I figured that my exaggeration would be seen as being just that, an exaggeration. Kwame didn't really say that, of course, although the difference between that and his actual "offer" is insignificant.

Trotwood, keep in mind: Watson did not answer the question. She did not express any opinion about whether or not KK should be further investigated or made to pay the money he owes. She evaded that question by stressing how much she believes that the city should be able to get back the money paid out in the settlement to the two police officers. Why she was allowed to leave the original question unanswered is a mystery to me, and the lack of a direct response leaves her "wiggle room," for later, to go in either direction on the issue posed by the question.
    Her entire air was, not surprisingly, haughty and very alienating, but it doesn't matter, to me; I have no intention of voting for her or Jones. How Jones got out of third grade must be unrelated to her atrociously ignorant speaking habits.
    And don't get me started on what I think of Raphael Johnson.

Buy American Guest

Does the State of Texas allow wages to be garnisheed? If they do allow it....Worthy should consider doing it.

Ravine Guest

Well, you know, as they say: the wheels of justice move slowly, sometimes. I figure that Worthy's office is pursuing the matter as steadily as possible. It's certainly not their only task.

The way it seems to me, there are thousands of citizens who still insist on refusing to see the matter as anything more than Kwame having had a dalliance with Beatty and the whole thing revolving around some sordid text-messages.

But, I don't even know if the view, taken by the public, is important, since most of the folks in this city don't bother to vote, anyway. And then, later, when some real bullshit occurs, they can be found on the TV news self-righteously jabbering about how some anonymous "they" should be doing something about the shit going on, around here.

Yet, when there is a televised [[TV!! Isn't TV their source for everything, already? How easy does it have to be?) opportunity to find out a little something about the people running for these seats, I'm afraid that most folks would never consider missing "their shows" in order to watch some ol' boring-ass debate.

Further, that is why I'm not sure that this whole Should the Council be Elected by District question is even an appropriate one for Detroiters to be considering. For that idea to even arise implys levels of civic interest and political awareness beyond anything of which I see much evidence among my fellow Detroiters.

Ravine Guest

But man oh man, we do know how to furiously pitch a bitch when something goes wrong.

But I suppose that goes back to that whole anonymous "they" I mentioned.
    "They" should be out "there," doing "something" about "that."

People who think that all you need to do is pay your taxes and everything will be all taken care of without your awareness, interest, or participation really frost my ass.

Stosh Guest

And here I thought, by the thread title, something had happened to Kwame's auditory senses. Silly me.
    Here's to hoping for the best for Detroit in the upcoming election.
    I'd like to order some people with common sense please. Hold the [[[[[[[[[s. And a side order of sanity as well.

Ravine Guest

I don't have high hopes, after seeing the primary won by a guy from the TV news.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I don't have high hopes, after seeing the primary won by a guy from the TV news.
    I'll reserve judgement until their performance is known. The problem in placing amateur legislators in any position [[including Lansing) is that it's all on-the-job training for the most part. I prefer a manager/weak mayor/council setup for those reasons, but the scary part is when they actually hire the manager, and he's not up to the job.

It's all a crapshoot, for the most part. Close your eyes and hold your nose, vote your concience, and hope that others will do right for the city. If nothing else, there's always recievership.

Retroit Guest

Does the State of Texas allow wages to be garnisheed? If they do allow it....Worthy should consider doing it.
    No. I looked this up awhile back because I had suggested the same thing on another thread. Texas state law only allows garnishment of wages for 2 reasons:

"Sec. 28. GARNISHMENT OF WAGES. No current wages for personal service shall ever be subject to garnishment, except for the enforcement of court-ordered:
    [[1) child support payments; or
    [[2) spousal maintenance. "

[[source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/CN.16.htm )

Federal law also allows garnishment for federal and state tax debt [[but Texas doesn't have an state income tax) and for government student loans.

I have an idea who the witness may be....does anyone have any input on this topic?
    I think the surprise witness may be Karmanos or Bobby Ferguson.

I am not an attorney, but can you have a suprise witness? I thought all parties must know who is being called. Also I watch it last week, I didn't hear any reference to a suprise witness. did I miss it?

also, isn't any income coming into the home consider joint, even if it to one spouse or the other?

Buy American Guest

...maybe not a surprise witness, but a witness for the prosecution. I have a feeling it may be Monica Conyers....she's being sentenced in December, maybe she cut a deal for her testimony and hopes to get less time in jail. Stranger things have happened since this all started.

[quote=Ravine;85435
    Trotwood, keep in mind: Watson did not answer the question. She did not express any opinion about whether or not KK should be further investigated or made to pay the money he owes. She evaded that question by stressing how much she believes that the city should be able to get back the money paid out in the settlement to the two police officers. Why she was allowed to leave the original question unanswered is a mystery to me, and the lack of a direct response leaves her "wiggle room," for later, to go in either direction on the issue posed by the question.
    Her entire air was, not surprisingly, haughty and very alienating, but it doesn't matter, to me; I have no intention of voting for her or Jones. How Jones got out of third grade must be unrelated to her atrociously ignorant speaking habits.
    And don't get me started on what I think of Raphael Johnson.[/quote]

Watson not answering the question directly is,to me anyway,as bad as her taking KK's side on this. Ms. Watson never seems to be at a loss for words or an opinion on everything under the sun. Strange she wouldn't have one on KK paying his restitution. Watson leaves a bad taste in my mouth from personal experience with her as well as her treatment of certain members of the public who've come to address the council.
    As for Jones I can barely stand to hear her speak. During her first few months on council I heard her refer to Research and Analysis[[RAD)as 'RAZZ' so much I feared I was going to put my foot through my television set.
    In her defense though a good many on council have their own challenges speaking properly. I'm not trying to be cruel or disrespectful to anyone but I have a hugh pet peeve on anyone who butchers the language.
    I see Raphael for who and what he is.
    Well time to hit the polls!

That is so true but what would we do without the Kwame dog and pony show

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3