Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Do you know of "Rose Terrace" the Anna Dodge Dillman residence?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 82.67%
  • No

13 17.33%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Rose Terrace

Quote Originally Posted by amneme View Post
    Packman, the estate sale you mentioned was my grandfathers in Romeo. Tell the current owner of the Packards to drop me a line, he is a great man.
    Hello amneme:

Sorry, but I just caught your post about your Grandfather's auction. I will pass on this information to my friend that bought the 2 Packards - he is in Indiana.

Coincidentally, my brother-in-law was at that auction and won the Model T flatbed truck your Grandfather had. It is not far away in Washington, MI. I still have some other photos that I took at the auction that day.

You might be interested in this posting titled Delphine from a Detroit blog called The Night Train:

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2011/02/04/delphine/

I grew up on the east side of Detroit. Gasoline was cheaper than a babysitter so my parents often piled us 5 kids into the car on Saturday evenings for a trip to the Dairy Queen at Marseilles and E. Warren before heading to Lakeshore Rd. for a drive from Moross to downtown Detroit. Mom and Dad always pointed out the various homes and buildings along the way, so we were well acquainted with auto baron homes, including Rose Terrace.

When we were junior high age, Dad bought us kids some fishing gear and sometimes would take us to the park at the foot of Alter Rd. But for some real quiet fishing, he showed us how to fish off the wall behind Rose Terrace!

My brothers and I would ride our bikes about 5 or 6 miles from our home. We would go down near the Little Club entrance and leave our bikes, swing around the fence over the water from the Little Club side to the Rose Terrace wall, and sit there and fish for a few hours. We took our catch home and cleaned them. And Dad would fry them up!

Went to the Detroit Historical Museum yesterday to see the Say I Do exhibit and saw Delphine Dodge's wedding dress. The train is quite something, but the dress has seen better days. The exhibit as a whole is worth seeing!!!

Some limestone panels removed from Rose Terrace are coming up for auction at DuMouchelle's next week on Friday, June 15,2012.

http://www.dumouchelle.com/#view=7

The Grosse Pointe Historical Society has a copy DuMouchelle's catalog from the original auction. Interesting that Rose Terrace is less than half the square footage of Meadowbrook but always is the top of the pyramid. I also wonder had John Dodge's mansion survived would Rose Terrace still be on top?

I have one plaster capital and 14 ft stone column, Two pilaster base
    and other stone from ROSE TERRACE.
    WILL SELL.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5