Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

View Poll Results: Do you know of "Rose Terrace" the Anna Dodge Dillman residence?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 82.67%
  • No

13 17.33%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rose Terrace

Default Rose Terrace

Hello. I'm looking to chat with anyone that might be willing to pass on information and photos of the Anna Dodge Dillman estate "Rose Terrace". I have exhausted my Google searches and have found this site to have the most current posts about the subject. So far I've seen a VHS tape narrated by Anna's son{??} - he speaks of "ma-ma" - met at the gate by the butler. He goes on to give a cheesy dialog tour of the house. The place is fully furnished, right before the big sale. I have the Trumbauer book, read some older newspaper articles over the web, visited a few city historical websites and know of the DIA connection. I found a few photos from this site showing the exterior and the garage. I'm hoping someone would have photos of the more obscure areas like the kitchen and other service areas. To my understanding a balustrade garden wall and stairs are the only original physical remains. The organ is at a nearby Baptists church??? I spent the summer aboard the SS Delphine many years ago when it was called the Dauntless and have a vague memory of seeing a Travel Section article from the Sunday Detroit News about a Designer Showcase at the place?? Were else can I look ?? Thanks for your time.

Lorax Guest

Having been raised in Grosse Pointe, I am quite familiar with the property, and have been priviliged enough to have enjoyed visiting Rose Terrace in my youth.

I was present at the Christie's auction in 1971, still have my catalogue, and own several items from the sale. I met Gertrude Draves, Mrs. Dodge's secretary, Florence Sisman, her "keeper" confidante in her later years.

The gentleman in the video you saw was a local Detroit news reporter who was hired to do a walk-through tour of the house before it was stripped- things going to the DIA and others readied for auction.

I was also present for the demolition auction in 1976 held by Stalker & Boos- I recall the rolled copper roofing sold for 300 bucks.

What information are you looking for exactly? Is is for research purposes?

I will dig out a few photos you may be able to use.

Default Rose Terrace

Thanks for the reply. I would like to create a web repository of all the available material on Rose Terrace. I've done something similar for Winfield Hall, the FW Woolworth estate, on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xgJHbOEZS4 There are three videos to watch. This is about posterity and enlightenment for others who don't know about the history of Rose Terrace. I would love to see anything you have. Demolition photos? Are there archives with original photos somewhere? Thanks

lilpup Guest

The organ went to what was then Northwestern Baptist Church, which was on 10 Mile just east of Evergreen [[right across the street for Fieger's office). That church has since been sold with the organ going to the new owners. Whether or not they still have it or are using it I do not know. Northwestern restructured and is now Wellspring Church on Eight Mile in Farmington. You might contact them and see if there's someone there available to look for what information they have.

My mom was the organist at Northwestern and loved having such a beautiful instrument.

Lorax Guest

The organ console was in a small area off the entrance hall at Rose Terrace- it was originally installed in the first Rose Terrace- a stone, English Cotswold style Albert Kahn designed home on the same site, which was pulled down around 1929 to begin construction of the much larger residence.

Horace Dodge was fond of the pipe organ, and Anna was trained as a pianist, and enjoyed organ music. The organ was the only item saved from the original home and incorporated into the new one.

The DIA until recently owned Francois Boucher's cartoon tapestry of Psyche displaying her treasures, which was used as a buffer to hide the opening in the wall of the music room where the sound for this great organ would eminate.

In fact, just in the last few years the DIA has divested itself of items bequeathed by Anna Dodge to benefit the general fund, which in my view was a mistake, since the idea should have been to incorporate these items into a reconstructed scale model of the music room, where most of the items currently on display were originally located.

Gone are the set of four Maison Bagues crystal chandeliers, Savonnerie carpet, and the four gilt cabinets that held the collection of royal Sevres porcelain- items designed for the room in the early 30's, and commissioned through the famed Parisian decorating firm of L. Alavoine & Company.

The tapestry was sold as well, sadly, which goes to show that even an odd 40 years after the original bequest, there is no control over the donation of items to museums.

Here's a few photos to help in your research, some you may have seen already-

http://www.gphistorical.org/autobarons/dodge/index.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...2&PIpi=3496573

I found a few photos from this site showing the exterior and the garage.
    Are they the May 1975 photos shown on this thread? If so, note that it includes links to the full sized images.

Default Rose Terrace

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Are they the May 1975 photos shown on this thread? If so, note that it includes links to the full sized images.
    Yes, those are the photos I found. Are they yours? Are there more? Have you been? Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    The organ went to what was then Northwestern Baptist Church, which was on 10 Mile just east of Evergreen [[right across the street for Fieger's office). That church has since been sold with the organ going to the new owners. Whether or not they still have it or are using it I do not know. Northwestern restructured and is now Wellspring Church on Eight Mile in Farmington. You might contact them and see if there's someone there available to look for what information they have.

My mom was the organist at Northwestern and loved having such a beautiful instrument.
    Now http://www.familyvictory.org/index_main.html I spoke to someone this morning from the church. She confirmed the site was the location of Northwestern Baptist Church but knew nothing about the organ. Nw Baptist Church sold the building in 1997. I'm suppose to email my questions and the director will hopefully get back with me. I in turn will post any updates here.

Yes, those are the photos I found. Are they yours? Are there more? Have you been? Thanks for your time
    I just wanted to make sure that you had seen those photos. I scanned and uploaded them for a friend. Unfortunately, there were no more RT photos in that collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    The organ console was in a small area off the entrance hall at Rose Terrace- it was originally installed in the first Rose Terrace- a stone, English Cotswold style Albert Kahn designed home on the same site, which was pulled down around 1929 to begin construction of the much larger residence.

Horace Dodge was fond of the pipe organ, and Anna was trained as a pianist, and enjoyed organ music. The organ was the only item saved from the original home and incorporated into the new one.

The DIA until recently owned Francois Boucher's cartoon tapestry of Psyche displaying her treasures, which was used as a buffer to hide the opening in the wall of the music room where the sound for this great organ would eminate.

In fact, just in the last few years the DIA has divested itself of items bequeathed by Anna Dodge to benefit the general fund, which in my view was a mistake, since the idea should have been to incorporate these items into a reconstructed scale model of the music room, where most of the items currently on display were originally located.

Gone are the set of four Maison Bagues crystal chandeliers, Savonnerie carpet, and the four gilt cabinets that held the collection of royal Sevres porcelain- items designed for the room in the early 30's, and commissioned through the famed Parisian decorating firm of L. Alavoine & Company.

The tapestry was sold as well, sadly, which goes to show that even an odd 40 years after the original bequest, there is no control over the donation of items to museums.

Here's a few photos to help in your research, some you may have seen already-

http://www.gphistorical.org/autobarons/dodge/index.htm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...2&PIpi=3496573

Except for the "pearls" I found all the other links through my Google searches. I find your stories on the DIA intriguing and sad. Was this done quietly? Did her taste{Anna's/Duveen's} hold value and bring a lot of money for the DIA? Anything else you can offer as time allows would be appreciated.

Lorax Guest

The deaccessioning was done quietly, through auction, the Bagues chandeliers from the music room brought a combined 250,000.00. The total take was somewhere around the 600,000 figure.

As for the value of what Anna Dodge bought through Duveen Brothers, it's generally accepted that she was charged far more than the items were worth at the time, though by the time of her death, and certainly today, the same items are many times as valuable as they were during the Depression.

The quality level, arguably was finer than had ever been assembled under one roof in the last 150 years. That Detroit had the chance to convert Rose Terrace into a house museum, regardless of any endowment that was not forthcoming from the estate is miraculous unto itself.

If the DIA had been forward thinking enough at the time, they would have done everything imaginable, including selling some works, fundraising, even holding bake sales wouldn't have been beneath them to raise the endowment to properly house the collection. It's a scenario that will never happen again, and indeed a missed opportunity.

I've always been of the opinion that when someone offers you a gift, you graciously accept it, and if that gift comes with a maintenance fee, you do what you can to make it work.
    Last edited by Lorax; October-05-09 at 01:26 PM.

Default Rose Terrace

First I would like to say thank you for all that have replied so far. Being a new member here I feel I should ask permission to use this site and thread for all the Rose Terrace information? If your were to Google Rose Terrace you find that this site is the only site that seems to get hits with the tidbits of current posts. All the other searches are the links Lorax{thanks again} has posted. If this could be the thread that over time can grow with what ever information is out there........ Its been over thirty years now at the information about the place is fading away. Thanks

Default Rose Terrace

Find Rose Terrace at wikimapia.org http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.3855013...2/Rose-Terrace - Check the link to HistoricAerials.com to see a 1973 overhead shot of Rose Terrace.

We have discussed Rose Terrace as well as many other grand homes in great detail for years on here. Dream was probably the most knowledgeable when it came to finding out exact property info. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had at least 30 threads on DY in the last 8 years or so concerning grand estates. You might also want to look into doing something about Harbor Hill, which was John Dodge’s unfinished estate in GP.
    I bought a complete auction book with a bunch of goodies and articles tucked in it at King Books last year for $30. Great find indeed. Understand that rose terrace was completed during the Depression, when many great homes were being torn down. It was essentially America’s last great house.I remember emailing a Dodge descendent and he said he and his family members really had little memorabilia or photos from the great era of the family.

Lorax Guest

It was about 18-20 years ago, but I was attending a Dumouchelle's auction where there were several items from Rose Terrace, including a photo album with dozens of black and white photos of Anna & family going back years, and some of her in her old age, probably taken in the 50's and 60's.

There was also a giant red morocco bound volume of the complete collections of Rose Terrace assembled by Duveen Brothers as a gift to Anna Dodge, which was customary for this firm to do with clients who spent so much with them.

Finally, I remember a giant famille noir Kang Si period Chinese porcelain square vase mounted to an ormolu base with original fittings, as it was made into a lamp by the Edward I. Farmer Lamp Company of New York, as were all the table lamps at Rose Terrace, usually made from found objects or antique jade.

I have such a lamp, made of a solid chunk of flourite hollowed out with a light on the interior, which graced one of the bedrooms at Rose Terrace.

Needless to say, I was outbid at the auction, as even then, items from RT were going for great prices. I recall the Kang Si vase/lamp went for over 20,000.00, and the morocco bound book over 3,000.00. I don't recall what the photos sold for, but it was a large book of them, and I think it was around 1,000 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    We have discussed Rose Terrace as well as many other grand homes in great detail for years on here. Dream was probably the most knowledgeable when it came to finding out exact property info. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had at least 30 threads on DY in the last 8 years or so concerning grand estates. You might also want to look into doing something about Harbor Hill, which was John Dodge’s unfinished estate in GP.
    I bought a complete auction book with a bunch of goodies and articles tucked in it at King Books last year for $30. Great find indeed. Understand that rose terrace was completed during the Depression, when many great homes were being torn down. It was essentially America’s last great house.I remember emailing a Dodge descendent and he said he and his family members really had little memorabilia or photos from the great era of the family.
    I did a search when I first came to this site. I only found a few posts that mentioned Rose Terrace. Is there a different way to find these older posts you speak of? Yes, in this video I saw the narrator talks of steel mills, quarries and such being opened during the depression just to build the place. Harbor Hill? - are there ruins of the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    It was about 18-20 years ago, but I was attending a Dumouchelle's auction where there were several items from Rose Terrace, including a photo album with dozens of black and white photos of Anna & family going back years, and some of her in her old age, probably taken in the 50's and 60's.

There was also a giant red morocco bound volume of the complete collections of Rose Terrace assembled by Duveen Brothers as a gift to Anna Dodge, which was customary for this firm to do with clients who spent so much with them.

Finally, I remember a giant famille noir Kang Si period Chinese porcelain square vase mounted to an ormolu base with original fittings, as it was made into a lamp by the Edward I. Farmer Lamp Company of New York, as were all the table lamps at Rose Terrace, usually made from found objects or antique jade.

I have such a lamp, made of a solid chunk of flourite hollowed out with a light on the interior, which graced one of the bedrooms at Rose Terrace.

Needless to say, I was outbid at the auction, as even then, items from RT were going for great prices. I recall the Kang Si vase/lamp went for over 20,000.00, and the morocco bound book over 3,000.00. I don't recall what the photos sold for, but it was a large book of them, and I think it was around 1,000 or more.
    Here is a pair of vases that went for $146,500 http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5172538 WOW - that book from Duveen! I wonder where it is?????? I'll attempt to call the DIA. In the Trumbauer book its the only reference that the author mentions. I hope your not burnt-out on talking about Rose Terrace. To say this will safe the world - its cheap fun - I can close my eyes I place myself inside! Thanks for your time.

Lorax Guest

Default Rose Terrace

Quote Originally Posted by RoseTerrace View Post
    Now http://www.familyvictory.org/index_main.html I spoke to someone this morning from the church. She confirmed the site was the location of Northwestern Baptist Church but knew nothing about the organ. Nw Baptist Church sold the building in 1997. I'm suppose to email my questions and the director will hopefully get back with me. I in turn will post any updates here.
    Follow up to the whereabouts of the organ from Rose Terrace. Current owners of church tell me that the organ was sold fifteen years or so ago. They are willing to check offsite storage for records. I'll post further updates as the trail unfolds.

Somewhat before the demolition of Rose Terrace I attended an auction preview/sale at Rose Terrace. This was not put on by any of the major auction houses. The implication was that the items were from Rose Terrace, the reality was that they were items that were trucked into Rose Terrace for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Somewhat before the demolition of Rose Terrace I attended an auction preview/sale at Rose Terrace. This was not put on by any of the major auction houses. The implication was that the items were from Rose Terrace, the reality was that they were items that were trucked into Rose Terrace for the event.
    Were you able to tour the place and/or take pictures? Was this after the house had been cleared out with the formal auction that took place September 27-29, 1971?

Yes, we were able to tour the house. Perhaps I could have taken pictures; but I didn't. And I'm sure that the house had been cleared of all Mrs. Dodge's furniture by that time.

Default Rose Terrace

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4946297&sr=1-7 Great text and "published here for the first time" photos. The Dodge Collection of Eighteenth-Century French and English Art in the Detroit Institute of Arts. For $15.00 how long will these last?

It's sad to see the wrought iron gates of Rose Terrace when you drive by and see that they enclose a subdivision of smaller homes. I remember seeing the house from the street in its' heyday.

If there's one positive that came from the sad demise of Rose Terrace, it's that Eleanor Clay Ford saw with horror what happened to Rose Terrace and its' contents. She prudently left in her will for the preservation and endowment of her Gaukler Point estate now known as the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House.

The one major loss though was the fact that each of the 4 Ford children got one of the major paintings in the house. Eldest son Henry Ford II sold his Renoir [[$18 million, IIRC)... while the other 3 children donated theirs to the DIA, with facsimilies hanging in the house. And of course there are still a few premier paintings [[such as a Cezanne and Degas) still hanging in the house.

One of the most astonishing things about Rose Terrace is that it had nearly twice the floorspace of the Ford House.

Default Dodge money

Did the Dodge children blow all of their money, or are there still a few wealthy ones around? Just wondering?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast