Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone going to the Grand Prix this weekend?

I've never been to a race, anyone have any feedback on previous races? Thanks.

I may go tomorrow for the free day. I went to the race itself the last year it was here. I thought it was real cool!

Stromberg2

Oh yes, I always go. I was a course worker for several years when they ran Formula 1 here.

I may have philosophical objections to using Belle Isle to hold the race, and to the aesthetic damage done to the park for a once-a-year [[if we're lucky) event, but having a major auto race that I can actually walk to from my home is also wonderful on several levels. Saturday promises to be a great day, with 3 races on tap including my favorite, the highly-competitive multi-class Rolex sports cars. Then the big Indy event on Sunday, which is a blast, and breathtakingly fast. My only real problem is the tightness of the circuit, which can make passing extremely difficult, and can create a lot of yellow flags for rather small incidents.

After sitting in the grandstands for a couple of years, I have gone with general admission tickets, so I can walk around and occasionally perch in the 'free' grandstands they put up on the back side of the circuit. This is particularly good on Saturday when it's a little less crowded. I have, however, also sprung for a paddock pass a couple of times so I can get in to see the cars and mechanics close up.

I will be there fri and sat. Hot rod power tour has a car coral car show
    Friday at the grand prix i am not in the tour but i did get my datsun
    in the show. And i think we will be taking a parade lap on the track.
    BGM

As I sit and write this, my husband and son are down on Belle Isle, in the rain.

They plan on parking on Cobo roof and talking the shuttle bus to Belle Isle. Will probably come home soaked.

The best races for spectators were the ones run on downtown streets, but I hear it was brutal on the cars and drivers.

No, I will not be going. I am sorry but any venue that does not allow me to protect myself will not get my business/money.

http://www.detroitgp.com/tickets/index.cfm?cid=17682

The following items are NOT permitted through admission gates:
    Ladders, scaffolding or other structures, umbrellas, lawn chairs, firearms or other weapons, bicycles, roller blades, strollers and wagons.

the child and I will be there tomorrow. Went several years ago and she really wanted to go back!

My husband, brother and I will be there!

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    No, I will not be going. I am sorry but any venue that does not allow me to protect myself will not get my business/money.

http://www.detroitgp.com/tickets/index.cfm?cid=17682
    Protect you from what??

That lady with the menacing looking $1,030 Louis Vuitton handbag sitting on the bleachers next to you??

If you're that paranoid... it's best you avoid ALL cities...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Protect you from what??

That lady with the menacing looking $1,030 Louis Vuitton handbag sitting on the bleachers next to you??

If you're that paranoid... it's best you avoid ALL cities...
    Not paranoid, a realist.

I have been to many events downtown where I had no isses whatsoever. I have been to a couple where I did feel a bit threatened. When I am with my kids in an area that unfortunately has higher odds of something bad happening, I error on the side of caution.

For what its worth, I do much prefer rural areas but work does not allow me to spend much of my time in those settings

Husband and son just got back from the Grand Prix free day. The roof top parking at Cobo Hall was closed due to paving. They are not sure if it will be open tomorrow.

The parked in the West Riverfront lots, by the Post office. Well tended with lots of nice big shuttle buses. Took only 15 minutes to Belle Isle. My husband said it was very well organized. Have fun tomorrow and Sunday, the lots East of the Ren Cen, GM building will be open, with shuttle buses.

Postscript;

He felt very safe, of course he carried a large umbrella.

Great event but does not compare to the days of F1 on the streets of downtown Detroit.

Even the wife liked this when we went a few years ago, and that's saying something. We parked at the Renaissance Center. I don't recall anything about the shuttle bus ride, which means it must have worked well. I'm tempted to go this year just to try out the ferry. My Free Press map says there's a bicycle parking area, and that could be a good way to get there, too.

I prefer walking around the course to sitting in a grandstand. The view was frequently limited, but still okay. As I recall, some of the better viewing sites were given over to corporate enclaves. I don't think the Belle Isle course is inferior to the downtown one in views by spectators, maybe better. It is less dramatic than downtown, but prettier [[except for the big concrete lake).

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Not paranoid, a realist.

I have been to many events downtown where I had no isses whatsoever. I have been to a couple where I did feel a bit threatened. When I am with my kids in an area that unfortunately has higher odds of something bad happening, I error on the side of caution.

For what its worth, I do much prefer rural areas but work does not allow me to spend much of my time in those settings
    I can understand with you having kids and all... but I would imagine that the island is closed to all non-Grand Prix traffic [[is that right?), and you can only be bused in...

I'll be interested in hearing your comparisons of today's sportcars versus what ran in the two previous races on Belle Isle. The first races were with the American Le Mans Series [[ALMS) and International Motor Sports Association [[IMSA). The sports cars this weekend are from the NASCAR-related Grand Am [[GA) series.

The ALMS is a higher-tech series related to the rules of the 24-hours of Le Mans while the GA rules are more spec and lower tech. There's been a 13-year battle between the groups and their respective philosophies. So, I'll be interested in hearing comparisons between the shows put on by those who have attended the other events and this one.

I was there today got to park right there on the car coral 50 yards from the track. The rain let up by 12 or so. I had a great time and was out of there by
    Got to shake Mario's hand asked for a autograph and he singed my shirt.
    I think he liked the shirt is why he came up to me.
    Mario took Paul Newman out on a race track for the first time maybe 1967
    in a pace car.
    Anyway here is a pic of my shirt and Mario.

The Japanese guy on the bike is Takuma Sato. Races for Bobby Rahal of Rahal Letterman Lannigan Racing. Yes, that Letterman, as in David. Taku is a former F1 driver and crashed out on the last lap of the Indy 500 this year while trying to pass Dario Frnachitti for the win on the final lap.

Paul Newman became lead driver for the Bob Sharp Racing Team
    Scott Sharp, son of Bob Sharp and Datsun fame, is part of the Patron team with the Ferrari 458 Scott also raced Datsuns as well as IndyCars.

Here is another MARIO

Katherine Legge you go girl!

My Dad used to take me to the free day when it was downtown. I was probably there for a formula 1 race. Wish I remembered it! To think we had F1 cars in Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmanjim View Post
    I've never been to a race, anyone have any feedback on previous races? Thanks.
    Name:  IMAG0384.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  20.2 KB

About a half hour after my original post, I was asked to go Indianapolis and pick up a Track-dryer. Brought it to Belle Isle on Friday afternoon and enjoyed the sights. I'm looking forward to Sunday!

I remember going down with my dad and brother to the free day back in the 90's. We were never big race fans, but it was still cool to go check out for a few hours.

Can somebody tell me why the city moved the race to Belle Isle? I'm not a big race fan, but watching a race going through city streets is pretty cool when you see it on tv. Was it poor road conditions that prompted the move?

superduperman Guest

Here is an idea,close the freeways in and around downtown and have the races on the freeway, that would be so cool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast