Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Detroit 2020!

Hybrid View

I was very surprised to learn that Denver was awarded the 76 Winter Olympics, but had to cancel because the people of Colorado didn't approve the bond issue to raise the money. Stupid.

Detroit hosting a Olympics? Let's start little by little. Pan-American Games perhaps? Not as prestigious, but it could show that we can host an international event.

I was stunned that Chicago was out by the first ballot, but I called Rio when this started.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I was very surprised to learn that Denver was awarded the 76 Winter Olympics, but had to cancel because the people of Colorado didn't approve the bond issue to raise the money. Stupid.

Detroit hosting a Olympics? Let's start little by little. Pan-American Games perhaps? Not as prestigious, but it could show that we can host an international event.

I was stunned that Chicago was out by the first ballot, but I called Rio when this started.
    What more does Detroit need to do to prove that it can host an Olympics? It has certainly hosted more large sporting events in recent years than Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What more does Detroit need to do to prove that it can host an Olympics? It has certainly hosted more large sporting events in recent years than Chicago.
    Perhaps, but the sporting events we have hosted, the infrastructure was already in place. And Detroit does need to prove it can host an Olympics, we need to prove that we are a viable, that we have sufficient transportation needs, that we have the money. Right now we have none of these things, and we won't by 2020. Maybe 2024 or 2028.

Maybe the Gay Games?

Perhaps, but the sporting events we have hosted, the infrastructure was already in place. And Detroit does need to prove it can host an Olympics, we need to prove that we are a viable, that we have sufficient transportation needs, that we have the money. Right now we have none of these things, and we won't by 2020. Maybe 2024 or 2028.

Maybe the Gay Games?
    Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid. Detroit's main hindrance would be mass transit and housing... But they could probably make an Olympic village just from rehabbing the abandoned houses that the city already owns.

The metro area already has more than enough facilities to use or upgrade for the event. And using the Olympic bid as a target goal would be the catalyst to get the ball moving on necessary infrastructure improvement projects [[like how NYC used its Olympic bid to get the ball rolling on transit expansion projects).

I like this quote in the Chicago Sun Times editorial about Chicago's failed bid:

Great cities stay great only by dreaming big.
    And it's true. Sitting around talking about what Detroit can't do will only lead to getting nothing done.
    Last edited by iheartthed; October-02-09 at 04:33 PM.

Great cities stay great only by dreaming big.
    Amend that to: "Cities BECOME great only by dreaming big."

Now, try telling that to the people in Detroit's corrupt, incompetent power structure... as well as the folks living over at 6 and Gratiot.

Let's see how far you get...

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Tell that to the folks in Oakland County, the Clowns on Detroit City Council, the Black Slate, and all the suburbanite's who gleefully boast about how they haven't been to Detroit in ...[[fill in the blank)....years.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post

Now, try telling that to the people in Detroit's corrupt, incompetent power structure... as well as the folks living over at 6 and Gratiot.

Let's see how far you get...
    The power of a new generation is right around the corner. This is all an anomaly, just a small hiccup in the history of Metro Detroit; a very strategically located, sustainable, and economically important region.

I think that Rio was a logical choice.
    I would point out that the selection of Rio also proves that cities with high crime rates and enormous slums, with radical demarcation of wealthy and poor neighborhoods, can host the Olympics.
    Samba on, Rio. Congratulations!

Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid.
    I would have responded to this sooner, but the statement's embarrassing lack of logic and fact induced a grand mal seizure. My brain just couldn't handle the sheer stupidity.

^ I know, but you got to realize the person behind the keyboard is probably very young and still has alot to learn about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    ^ I know, but you got to realize the person behind the keyboard is probably very young and still has alot to learn about the world.
    I realize that person behind the keyboard is either a troll, an insanely brilliant satirist, or is incurably, defiantly ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFuzz View Post
    I would have responded to this sooner, but the statement's embarrassing lack of logic and fact induced a grand mal seizure. My brain just couldn't handle the sheer stupidity.
    Please, oh wise one, grace us with your infinite knowledge of why that is incorrect? This should be interesting...

I think the taxpayers, property owners, and residents of Chicago are lucky as hell the Olympics went to Rio. The political class of that city would have used the games as a means to milk taxpayers on a scale that we in Detroit can't even imagine. Good luck to the people of Rio.

I have a friend in Wyoming who was tangentially involved in the nearby Utah winter Olympics, and he maintained that the location of the Olympics is decided by whatever city can get the International Olympic Committee laid in the grandest fashion. That may be overly cynical, but it would be consistent with the preference for Rio over Chicago. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect Detroit to compete in this area.

Is there anyone besides me who still has this radio ad jingle running through their head from around 1962?

You can help your state
    If you donate
    To the 1968
    Olympics!

Please, oh wise one, grace us with your infinite knowledge of why that is incorrect? This should be interesting...
    Right after you defend the validity of your "Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid" with logic and facts, not hyperbole and pathetic wishful thinking.

Have a checking account with a positive balance?

The IOC pick Rio de Janiero for thes reasons:

1. South American nations and its cities has NEVER hosted the any olympic games.

2. Rio de Janeiro is one of the hottest international tourist destinations in the world.

3. The ecomony is most enviromental friendly than any other nations.

4. South Americans nations like Brazil preserved 75% of the world rain forests despite fewer deforestations.

5. The IOC reconize the U.S. and its cities to have too much political and ecomonic and plutononic power against most nations of Earth.

6. The IOC recognizes Chicago from various resources and data that the city has plague of street gangs, not cleaning up what's left of the housing projects that occupy near downtown and highest youth killing in their streets every 25 minutes. That would put into a effect on the Olympic Athletes who would be living at Olympic Village being set up at the SOUTH SIDE! That would be a very bad mistake.

So Chicago, better luck in the next 20 to 60 years.

Detroit will NOT recieve the the bid from 2020 Olympic Games for these reasons:

1. Detroit is still NOT ethnically diverse. It may gain some ethnic folks but not enough to balance the growing black population.

2. TOO MUCH city corruption

3. Poor city services, neighborhoods are ghettohoods and a poor police force.

4. Our downtown looks the Great Depression

5. Lots of violent street crime over all the ghettoes of Detroit

Giver about a 100 years then Detroit will get the olympic bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit will NOT recieve the the bid from 2020 Olympic Games for these reasons:

1. Detroit is still NOT ethnically diverse. It may gain some ethnic folks but not enough to balance the growing black population.

2. TOO MUCH city corruption

3. Poor city services, neighborhoods are ghettohoods and a poor police force.

4. Our downtown looks the Great Depression

5. Lots of violent street crime over all the ghettoes of Detroit

Giver about a 100 years then Detroit will get the olympic bid.
    Yeah, I think we know this, we were just joking. But Chicago has 100x the amount of corruption we have ever had. And I don't see why it would take 100 yrs for Detroit to be better, when it could easily take 20.

Stosh Guest

And you really think that would pass here? With the pissing and moaning about even small changes to our tax structure [[or additional taxes) to support basic services here? Please.

Canada won't be part of any Detroit 2020 bid as Toronto is gearing up for another shot at the games in 2020 or 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    And you really think that would pass here? With the pissing and moaning about even small changes to our tax structure [[or additional taxes) to support basic services here? Please.
    While I wasn't trying to say whether or not it would pass, I do think it would pass. It didn't pass there because envorimentalist were behind the "No" vote as they thought the Olympics would be detrimental for the enviroment.

If Detroit ever wants to host the olympics, keep in mind it takes alot of civic support [[by that I mean $$$$) to assemble the bid. The people willing to make that happen must also have confidence in their city that it can make the plan work. No offense, but there's an incredible amount of work to be done, starting with the stereotypical image of Detroit.

Yeah, it was a pretty sad day here in Chicago. After we were eliminated, all the banners were removed from our building.
    Last edited by wolverine; October-02-09 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    If Detroit ever wants to host the olympics, keep in mind it takes alot of civic support [[by that I mean $$$$) to assemble the bid. The people willing to make that happen must also have confidence in their city that it can make the plan work. No offense, but there's an incredible amount of work to be done, starting with the stereotypical image of Detroit.

Yeah, it was a pretty sad day here in Chicago. After we were eliminated, all the banners were removed from our building.
    Oh no doubt, but when we become the better city, will have the civic support. My grandparents remember little of any of the bids that Detroit did for the Summer Olympics.