Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Detroit 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Fury, Detroit [[city proper) may be a dump, but Chicago isn't much better.

-Murder capital of the nation
    -Highest population loss in the nation
    -Most corrupt city in the nation
    -Governor in jail

There is no possible way Chicago could ever compete with Rio, Tokyo and Madrid.
    "Chicago isn't much better"..... Then Detroit? Are you serious? People actually travel to Chicago, for VACATIONS. With their families, for fun and recreation. When is the last time you hear about anybody coming to Detroit to spend their leisure time?

Yes, Chicago does have those problems. But the difference is we are a lot better at hiding them. The tourist maps here show the borders as Irving Park, Damen, and Cermak. As long as everyone stays within this huge vast area, they won't see an abandoned building and unlikely to be a victim of a crime

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What more does Detroit need to do to prove that it can host an Olympics? It has certainly hosted more large sporting events in recent years than Chicago.
    Have a checking account with a positive balance?

The IOC pick Rio de Janiero for thes reasons:

1. South American nations and its cities has NEVER hosted the any olympic games.

2. Rio de Janeiro is one of the hottest international tourist destinations in the world.

3. The ecomony is most enviromental friendly than any other nations.

4. South Americans nations like Brazil preserved 75% of the world rain forests despite fewer deforestations.

5. The IOC reconize the U.S. and its cities to have too much political and ecomonic and plutononic power against most nations of Earth.

6. The IOC recognizes Chicago from various resources and data that the city has plague of street gangs, not cleaning up what's left of the housing projects that occupy near downtown and highest youth killing in their streets every 25 minutes. That would put into a effect on the Olympic Athletes who would be living at Olympic Village being set up at the SOUTH SIDE! That would be a very bad mistake.

So Chicago, better luck in the next 20 to 60 years.

Detroit will NOT recieve the the bid from 2020 Olympic Games for these reasons:

1. Detroit is still NOT ethnically diverse. It may gain some ethnic folks but not enough to balance the growing black population.

2. TOO MUCH city corruption

3. Poor city services, neighborhoods are ghettohoods and a poor police force.

4. Our downtown looks the Great Depression

5. Lots of violent street crime over all the ghettoes of Detroit

Giver about a 100 years then Detroit will get the olympic bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit will NOT recieve the the bid from 2020 Olympic Games for these reasons:

1. Detroit is still NOT ethnically diverse. It may gain some ethnic folks but not enough to balance the growing black population.

2. TOO MUCH city corruption

3. Poor city services, neighborhoods are ghettohoods and a poor police force.

4. Our downtown looks the Great Depression

5. Lots of violent street crime over all the ghettoes of Detroit

Giver about a 100 years then Detroit will get the olympic bid.
    Yeah, I think we know this, we were just joking. But Chicago has 100x the amount of corruption we have ever had. And I don't see why it would take 100 yrs for Detroit to be better, when it could easily take 20.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Amend that to: "Cities BECOME great only by dreaming big."

Now, try telling that to the people in Detroit's corrupt, incompetent power structure... as well as the folks living over at 6 and Gratiot.

Let's see how far you get...
    The power of a new generation is right around the corner. This is all an anomaly, just a small hiccup in the history of Metro Detroit; a very strategically located, sustainable, and economically important region.

I think that Rio was a logical choice.
    I would point out that the selection of Rio also proves that cities with high crime rates and enormous slums, with radical demarcation of wealthy and poor neighborhoods, can host the Olympics.
    Samba on, Rio. Congratulations!

Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid.
    I would have responded to this sooner, but the statement's embarrassing lack of logic and fact induced a grand mal seizure. My brain just couldn't handle the sheer stupidity.

^ I know, but you got to realize the person behind the keyboard is probably very young and still has alot to learn about the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    ^ I know, but you got to realize the person behind the keyboard is probably very young and still has alot to learn about the world.
    I realize that person behind the keyboard is either a troll, an insanely brilliant satirist, or is incurably, defiantly ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFuzz View Post
    I would have responded to this sooner, but the statement's embarrassing lack of logic and fact induced a grand mal seizure. My brain just couldn't handle the sheer stupidity.
    Please, oh wise one, grace us with your infinite knowledge of why that is incorrect? This should be interesting...

I think the taxpayers, property owners, and residents of Chicago are lucky as hell the Olympics went to Rio. The political class of that city would have used the games as a means to milk taxpayers on a scale that we in Detroit can't even imagine. Good luck to the people of Rio.

I have a friend in Wyoming who was tangentially involved in the nearby Utah winter Olympics, and he maintained that the location of the Olympics is decided by whatever city can get the International Olympic Committee laid in the grandest fashion. That may be overly cynical, but it would be consistent with the preference for Rio over Chicago. I don't know if it's reasonable to expect Detroit to compete in this area.

Is there anyone besides me who still has this radio ad jingle running through their head from around 1962?

You can help your state
    If you donate
    To the 1968
    Olympics!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I have thought the idea of a Detroit/Windsor games would be cool... A truly international Olympics!

It might even make me pay attention to something that doesn't involve women in tights or shorts.
    I love that idea -- and it would be the only way Detroit could do it.

however, about that second statement...

I have to agree with your prediction sandhouse. Chicago has gone way overboard on so many budgets. Millennium Park, though privately funded went $250-300 million over budget. I can't imagine on a project that would be costing billions......

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes, Chicago does have those problems... The tourist maps here show the borders as Irving Park, Damen, and Cermak.
    And we all know that those borders SHOULD be Devon, Pulaski, and 39th.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    "Chicago isn't much better"..... Then Detroit? Are you serious? People actually travel to Chicago, for VACATIONS. With their families, for fun and recreation. When is the last time you hear about anybody coming to Detroit to spend their leisure time?
    Chicago is hardly a major vacation center on par with major tourist hubs. How many Germans and Brazilians have it on their U.S. agenda? They go to NYC, to California, to Florida, to Vegas, and to the Grand Canyon.

It's only big among Midwesterners because it's the only real thriving central city in this part of the country.

And a "vacation center" does not make a place a world-class city. Branson, Missouri is a huge vacation city. I guess it's world class in your book?

Chicago is hardly a major vacation center on par with major tourist hubs. How many Germans and Brazilians have it on their U.S. agenda? They go to NYC, to California, to Florida, to Vegas, and to the Grand Canyon.

It's only big among Midwesterners because it's the only real thriving central city in this part of the country.

And a "vacation center" does not make a place a world-class city. Branson, Missouri is a huge vacation city. I guess it's world class in your book?
    Completely wrong. I worked at the Shedd Aquarium and lived in Chicago in the first half of the summer. I ran into plenty of Portugese, French, Germans, Canadians, Japanese, and Italians at the Aquarium. Chicago is a major hub for international tourist travel.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Completely wrong. I worked at the Shedd Aquarium and lived in Chicago in the first half of the summer. I ran into plenty of Portugese, French, Germans, Canadians, Japanese, and Italians at the Aquarium. Chicago is a major hub for international tourist travel.
    No, it isn't. Your anecdotal observations are irrelevent.

I know plenty of international visitors to metro Detroit. Just this weekend [[I was in town for a wedding) I met folks from Northern Italy [[just east of Tuscany), Lebanon, Turkey [[Ankara) and Germany [[Frankfurt). All were in town visiting for various reasons.

Therefore I can say that Detroit, like Chicago, "is a major hub for international tourist travel."

The fact is that Chicago isn't a major tourist center, and isn't even ranked among the top 10 international tourist destinations in the U.S. The top are NYC, Orlando, Vegas, LA, Miami, SF; places like that.

International visitors generally don't even get to the Midwest. It's too far from the major tourist hubs, and Chicago is regarded as a business center rather than a tourist attraction.

No, it isn't. Your anecdotal observations are irrelevent.

I know plenty of international visitors to metro Detroit. Just this weekend [[I was in town for a wedding) I met folks from Northern Italy [[just east of Tuscany), Lebanon, Turkey [[Ankara) and Germany [[Frankfurt). All were in town visiting for various reasons.

Therefore I can say that Detroit, like Chicago, "is a major hub for international tourist travel."

The fact is that Chicago isn't a major tourist center, and isn't even ranked among the top 10 international tourist destinations in the U.S. The top are NYC, Orlando, Vegas, LA, Miami, SF; places like that.

International visitors generally don't even get to the Midwest. It's too far from the major tourist hubs, and Chicago is regarded as a business center rather than a tourist attraction.
    The top cities visited by overseas travelers in 2008 were: New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Orlando, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Washington, DC, Chicago and Boston
    http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/TINEWS/arch.../20090515.html

Top most visited US cities totals

.Las Vegas 38.9 million.
    2.Los Angeles 58.6 million
    3.Orlando 47.8 million visitors
    4.New York City 44 million visitors
    5.Chicago 41.3 million

http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-l...hisSpeed=20000

^^ Here we go again, Crawford, is there anything you DON"T know???? There's gotta be something.

Please, oh wise one, grace us with your infinite knowledge of why that is incorrect? This should be interesting...
    Right after you defend the validity of your "Detroit is probably farther ahead right now than where Beijing was when it won the bid" with logic and facts, not hyperbole and pathetic wishful thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2