Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What channel is the Tigers game on tomorrow?

I wonder if the CWS players he was partying with were as drunk as he was?

"Despite the Detroit Metro region being in the grips of one it's worse economic periods, the Tigers managed to have the 4th largest attendance in the league this year. At the very least, not only is his wife owed an apology but so are the fans.
    quote"

According to ESPN attendance figures, Detroit actually was 12th in MLB ticket sales, with an average of 31,693, or 79% capacity per home game.

Regardless, still a very impressive number considering the economic climate. I sure hope Cabrera can turn things around. His importance on the playing field to the Tigers is immeasurable. To make a poor decision at a time in a season like this is very selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    I wonder if the CWS players he was partying with were as drunk as he was?
    Does it matter? The White Sox players weren't playing for a divisional title. Cabrera was.

Immature, stupid behavior... he's not leadership material.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    What channel is the Tigers game on tomorrow?
    I believe it's on TBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    "Despite the Detroit Metro region being in the grips of one it's worse economic periods, the Tigers managed to have the 4th largest attendance in the league this year. At the very least, not only is his wife owed an apology but so are the fans.
    quote"

According to ESPN attendance figures, Detroit actually was 12th in MLB ticket sales, with an average of 31,693, or 79% capacity per home game.

Regardless, still a very impressive number considering the economic climate. I sure hope Cabrera can turn things around. His importance on the playing field to the Tigers is immeasurable. To make a poor decision at a time in a season like this is very selfish.
    My statement was in the league which is the American League not overall Major League attendance or % of capacity. According to Baseball Reference the Tigers had the 4th highest amount of people attending games in the American League behind NY, Boston & LA.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...009-misc.shtml

I hope the Twinkie's plan explodes on the way to NY!

I've hated that team since 1987.

Well, it didn't end up the way we all were hoping.

But, damn! That was the most exciting ball game I've watched since Don Larsen's no-hitter in the '56 World Series. No shit.

Don Larsen's no-hitter in the '56 World Series
    that was 9 years before i was born...

i still think the ChiSox laid down when they played the Twins but played with some conviction against us...

i dont dislike the Twins as much as i dislike Ozzie Guillen...

Ravine Guest

Talk about saving the best for last.

It made for a great game, but it pretty much caused the game to be necessary, as well.

Ah well. I'm not bitter or angry, just a bit blue.

The truth is that I don't know how in the hell a team that played the way they did managed to hold on to 1st Place for months, to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

The truth is that I don't know how in the hell a team that played the way they did managed to hold on to 1st Place for months, to begin with.
    Agree with that, Ravine. But they gave the old town some fun this year, so whaddahell.

What a great game. One of the best I've ever seen, so many emotional swings.

Well we can't come much closer and it was a great year for a team that ended up in last place last year.

And as the saying goes, "Just waint until next year!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Agree with that, Ravine. But they gave the old town some fun this year, so whaddahell.
    As a died in the wool Tigers fan, I don't care about anything other than a win for the D.

I hope[[never thought I'd root for New York) the Yank's destroy the Twinkies!

Although they haven't beat them all year during the regular season, I'm supporting the Twins against the Damn Yankees. I hope they're September upswing thru the standings takes them past the Yankees in the playoffs. If not, well then, anybody but the Yankees.

Kudos to the Tigers for giving us something to cheer about for so long. Remember last year when they were expected to win it all before they played a game. It must be terribly disappointing for the team players to have played such a long season, leading the division most of the way, only to lose it in the last week of the season. If you think you're hurting because of tonight's loss, imagine how they must feel.

I hope[[never thought I'd root for New York) the Yank's destroy the Twinkies! quote of Detroitej72

You'll come to your senses in the morning. You're still caught up in tonight's loss. The Twins are run on a fraction of the budget the Yankees spend.

Ravine Guest

Well said, Eno. Fuck the Yankees. The Twins are a helluva team, and not only are they assembled under a much smaller budget, they won the division despite playing the first month without their MVP Catcher, playing the last few weeks without their MVP 1st Baseman, Joe Crede falling apart, and Hot Shot Francisco Liriano being out of the starting rotation.

ziggyselbin Guest

The biggest choke in the history of major league baseball; our detroit tigers. The tigers deserve no praise at all. This thing should have been over weeks ago. The tigers had a 96% chance with 3 games up and 4 to go of winning the division........96%......and they lost. No praise. Biggest choke ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    i dont dislike the Twins as much as i dislike Ozzie Guillen...
    At least Ozzie Guillen challenges his players and gets mad when the Sox play poorly. Leyland sulks and mumbles on camera. I think he's overrated.

I think a manager should raise hell and kick some butt when his players insist on being mediocre.

Not that the Twins are a great team by any means, but they certainly rose to the occasion down the stretch.

An exciting and entertaining game to end an interesting season. Picked for last place by many, they put on a good show. Overachieved, and reality struck at the end.

Questions: Why did the Royals have their number? Why the collapse at the end?
    How can they get one more good starter, one more middle reliever, and a few more hits with men on base?
    Kudos to Verlander and Porcello...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    An exciting and entertaining game to end an interesting season. Picked for last place by many, they put on a good show. Overachieved, and reality struck at the end.

Questions: Why did the Royals have their number? Why the collapse at the end?
    How can they get one more good starter, one more middle reliever, and a few more hits with men on base?
    Kudos to Verlander and Porcello...
    I don't know what the nature of the problem is but the Twins seem to always play stronger at the end of the season while the Tigers limp to the finish line. Witness the '06 season when the Tigers led the league most of the year but ended up in second place in the Central Division on the last day of the season when the Twins eclipsed them. The Tigers made it to post-season as the wild card.

The Tigers waste too many chances to score runners in scoring position, especially with less than 2 outs last night. It was terribly frustrating to see the Tigers unable to execute. It finally caught up with them when they faced a team that could.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    If they would just get the big hits with runners on base this thing would be over.
    How true. Even yesterday. One timely hit and we're all tuned in at 6 tonight for the action from Yankee Stadium.

That was a loooooong game

Almost got it done.

Wow, they gave Andy Van Slyke his walking papers, but kept Lloyd McClendon?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...turn-to-Tigers

I have trouble believing that McClendon would be retained, as much trouble as the team had at the plate this year. Almost every hitter has regressed under McClendon's "tutelage". This team might just need an entirely new staff [[to include the manager).

Unhappy

I don't understand letting Van Slyke go either. I always liked the guy, both as a player and a coach. He really seemed to enjoy himself. I'm sure he wasn't encouraging the idiotic "slow down and slide" catch used by Guillen and Ordonez to get on ESPN instead of just running hard and catching a ball at knee level. That's the dumbest play in baseball next to the "slow down and dive head first into first" play. There must be more to this than his on-field performance, as he goes back a long way with Leyland. Good luck Andy, we'll miss ya.
    Last edited by 401don; October-09-09 at 07:17 PM.

Maybe Van Slyke is being blamed for Granderson getting doubled up on first base when Magglio hit into a line drive out at shortstop.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast