Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign Cars.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Some of you folks seriously hate everyone else in the world or something? People have families and need jobs in Mexico too.
    They can have yours. They already have enough of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    No 16-year-old needs their own car.
    Ain't too often I disagree with you, Lilpup, BUT....if the 16 year old pays for the car his/herself, buys the gas and insurance, and keeps a good driving record, I don't have a problem with that.

Got my first car at 17 and did all the above. To this day.

tahleel, your increasingly strident tone leads one to question your emotional maturity. But since you ask, I have on New Balance running shoes, a shirt from LLBean and a pair of carhart pants. I'm sitting in a Frances Knoll chair listening to Bose radio ... shhhh... quiet ... what's that I hear? Sounds like the hot air being let out of a self-important puptard.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    tahleel, your increasingly strident tone leads one to question your emotional maturity. But since you ask, I have on New Balance running shoes, a shirt from LLBean and a pair of carhart pants. I'm sitting in a Frances Knoll chair listening to Bose radio ... shhhh... quiet ... what's that I hear? Sounds like the hot air being let out of a self-important puptard.
    Wow, we're really impressed! Let me guess, you own the world's only American-made TV, grow your own American-made coffee, and walk around town in an Uncle Sam suit [[all costume parts made by union labor in the good ole U.S.A., of course!).

People need to wake up out of their 1950's time warp. Read Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat". The world is totally interconnected nowadays, and it's completely impossible to live a lifesyle solely based on one nation's bounty.

The future is in embracing globalism, not rejecting it. Those that have embraced globalism [[NYC, Texas, Bay Area, Seattle) have thrived, and those that have rejected it have withered.

This conversation isn't really about foreign or domestic autos.
    Oh really? What is the thread titled? What are the last words of his first sentance? What does the last statement say? This thread is definitely about foreign cars and how the OP despises them.

It is about a young lady who has manipulated her mother, put the family in financial jeopardy and is using the mother to inflict a guilt trip on JFT1972.
    Thankfully, Kia has Kia Assurance. If you lose your job within the first 12 months of owning the vehicle, you can bring the car back, and walk away from the loan. No financial ruin here!

-Tahleel

[quote=gnome;73190]tahleel, your increasingly strident tone leads one to question your emotional maturity. quote]

When factual arguments don't work, bring on the personal attacks!

No who is the one that has questionable maturity.

-Tahleel

Wow, we're really impressed! Let me guess, you own the world's only American-made TV, grow your own American-made coffee, and walk around town in an Uncle Sam suit [[all costume parts made by union labor in the good ole U.S.A., of course!).

People need to wake up out of their 1950's time warp. Read Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat". The world is totally interconnected nowadays, and it's completely impossible to live a lifesyle solely based on one nation's bounty.

The future is in embracing globalism, not rejecting it. Those that have embraced globalism [[NYC, Texas, Bay Area, Seattle) have thrived, and those that have rejected it have withered.
    Thank you Crawford. Couldn't have said it better myself.

-Tahleel

Sludgedaddy Guest

One of the movies being shot currently in Michigan is a re-make of that right wing cult classic "Red Dawn". This time around, the invaders are not the Russians and the Cubans, but the Chinese.....heh....heh....heh.....

Back to the original comment: NO, I don't think a 16 yo should have a car, especially not a new one foreign or domestic. It often proves to be a distraction - the teen becomes the chauffeur of all their friends [[real and fake). And if the car is very nice beyond what most teens would be driving it sends a bad message that you don't earn or work for nicer things - they are just "given" to you. Teen in my household did not get a car until 19 and it was 12 year old Chevy, then later and decade old foreign car. Nothing new... that will be their first purchase for themselves, not from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I just found out my 16-year-old daughter's mother bought her the car of her dreams... a Kia Soul.

I feel sick to my stomach.

My kid has no job. She's been looking [[probably not enough in my opinion) and keeps hearing that they aren't hiring people less than 18 due to the unemployment problem among adults. Her mother's job is in jeopardy. Her grandmother is unemployed & her uncle is scared to death. Yet she had her heart set on a Korean car.

When her mother emailed me asking "Do you want to contribute to the car fund?" I had no clue they were on their way to buy... My reply was that I would contribute matching funds to whatever she saves toward purchasing an American car, if she kept her grades up.

Part of me hopes this POS spends a great deal of time in the shop.

sorry crawford, I just try to buy the best that I can. I try not to but foriegn made products because I like to keep my money here. Some times I don't have a choice and I will buy a product made overseas, I don't lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

I try to buy the best, I try to buy American, I don't think there is anything wrong with that and I feel sorry for you and your warped sense of self-rightousness. As though buying an American made shirt somehow puts me in league with Mamie Eisenhower...

Tahleel, same deal my friend. You're missing the point and being a little edged when it is not warranted. Once you move out of you mom's place, you'll understand.

Until then, have a snapple and chillax.

lilpup Guest

What a crock. None of those places are [[or ever were) manufacturing centers on the scale of SE Michigan and none measures up to the true globalism of the auto industry. [[And just wait until struggling Boeing leaves or again scales back in Washington. They've yet to deny a rumored China development.)

crawford Guest

Gnome, all things considered equal, I prefer the American product too, so maybe we're not that far apart in viewpoints.

My point is that a foreign product is not necessarily an "evil" product. IMO, it is very good that we are not producing some items in the U.S. anymore. I don't want to be like Japan, where you pay $20 for a small box of strawberries. Proctectionism sucks from the consumer standpoint.

There are many good and bad things that come out of globalism, but I believe that it is a net positive both for this country, and for the world.

Why is it so easy for a foreign manufacturer to set up shop here in the US? We give companies all sorts of tax “incentives” to build plants here. However, it is almost impossible for an American company to build in S. Korea or Japan without paying up the ass first. It needs to be a fair level of trade first.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    What a crock. None of those places are [[or ever were) manufacturing centers on the scale of SE Michigan and none measures up to the true globalism of the auto industry. [[And just wait until struggling Boeing leaves or again scales back in Washington. They've yet to deny a rumored China development.)
    Germany and Japan are the only "rich" nations that are still primarily manufacturing-based, and they have both performed MUCH worse than the U.S. in recent years, so what does that tell you?

You want to be like Japan, where the economy has shrunk 10% this year? Even in economically battered metro Detroit, there is no economic decline remotely comparable to Japan.

Some things just aren't meant to be made in rich countries. Most of us are better off when things can be produced with maximum efficiency.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why is it so easy for a foreign manufacturer to set up shop here in the US? We give companies all sorts of tax “incentives” to build plants here. However, it is almost impossible for an American company to build in S. Korea or Japan without paying up the ass first. It needs to be a fair level of trade first.
    Well you're right that Japan should loosen trade restrictions [[don't know enough about Korea to comment), but not for our sake, but for their sake! Protectionism hurts them much more than it hurts us.

The proper response to protectionism is defintiely not to do the same. They are hurting themselves and others, and we do not really "get back" at them by throwing up trade boundaries. Americans, not Japanese, will feel the brunt of such actions.

Tahleel, same deal my friend. You're missing the point and being a little edged when it is not warranted. Once you move out of you mom's place, you'll understand.
    If you want to be personal, we can be. I am in my early twenties. I own two homes one in Detroit, and one in the evil Burbs. Both paid off. I'm an EMT, I save lives for a living. This May, I will have two Bachelor's degrees from Wayne State [[Finance and Accounting), and will continue onto grad school. I do not live at my "mom's place." What are your accomplishments?

-Tahleel

Sludgedaddy Guest

....went fishing with my daughter this past Spring and bought what was labeled a Zebco rod and reel. When they were made in the US, you could hammer all day with the sucker, cast after cast. After but a few casts, that cheap son of a bitch gave up the ghost. I bitched out Chairman Mao, Buddha, Confuscious and the Gang of Four times Twelve and all things made in China for three hours straight.

It seems that the proliferation of all this foriegn made garbage has become situation normal for the acceptance of all this imported inferior junk. Wake Up America !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    You are right. We give them tax incentives for them to buy American land. Buy American supplies to build said plant. Hire American architects, contractors, workmen and inspectors to build said plant. Then hire Americans to work in said plant.

Are you proposing that we build American company plants in S. Korea and Japan, effectively shifting American jobs FROM America TO S. Korea and Japan?

-Tahleel

Would this thread even exist if her "dream car" had been a Chevrolet Aveo? Probably not. Yet that "American" car is also made in South Korea. I've had this arguement several times here with BuyAmerican. Why is a Kentucky built Camry or an Ohio built Honda less American than a Mexican built Fusion? Profits going overseas? Bullshit. What about the property taxes from the plant, the contributions to local areas, the income tax from the workers, etc? What do the Mexicans building the Ford Fusion contribute? I've also said this before: I never have and never will drive anything but a Ford, GM, or Chrysler. Why did GM decide to build the new version of the Cadillac SRX in Mexico? Weren't the workers at the Lansing Grand River plant good enough for them? I could go on because this topic gets my blood boiling.

Nothing personal Tahleel, but it seems you lack the maturity to empathise with other people. You present your points as the only one anyone should consider in strident tones and unequivocal edicts. Each thrust carries a closed fist and not an open palm. JFT is talking about his family. His daughter. He's talking about a financial wedge that threatens to harm that relationship. Even if he titled the thread Foriegn Cars, the issue is about his daughter. Instead of busting his balls and running your mouth with arcane niff-naws of half facts, give the guy some air. Be human.

Once you grow up a bit, and experience life some, maybe you'll lighten up and learn to enjoy people. Tell your moms I say "hi".

Nothing personal Tahleel, but it seems you lack the maturity to empathise with other people.
    I guess my success makes me do that. You never told us your accomplishments?

You present your points as the only one anyone should consider in strident tones and unequivocal edicts. Each thrust carries a closed fist and not an open palm.
    Every good debater knows its not about all the topic or facts, but how you present it. I present my opinions, whether you choose to perceive them as facts is your own prerogative.

JFT is talking about his family. His daughter. He's talking about a financial wedge that threatens to harm that relationship. Even if he titled the thread Foriegn Cars, the issue is about his daughter.
    That is what YOU read. Everyone else read a thread about a person whose daughter bought a foreign car, and how it makes him "stick to his stomach." He then stated that he would contribute to buying her a car if it were American. And then he concludes his post by saying how he wishes this "POS spends a great deal of time in the shop." Doesn't seem like he's talking about cars at all.

Once you grow up a bit, and experience life some, maybe you'll lighten up and learn to enjoy people. Tell your moms I say "hi".
    How mature. I actually just got off the phone with her. She's doing well.

Again, what milestones have you accomplished in life? Is there a reason why you tend to avoid the question when asked? Maybe because you have none?

-Tahleel

Good luck with that Tahleel. I'm sure you'll make yourself very happy someday.

lilpup Guest

Germany and Japan are the only "rich" nations that are still primarily manufacturing-based, and they have both performed MUCH worse than the U.S. in recent years, so what does that tell you?

You want to be like Japan, where the economy has shrunk 10% this year? Even in economically battered metro Detroit, there is no economic decline remotely comparable to Japan.

Some things just aren't meant to be made in rich countries. Most of us are better off when things can be produced with maximum efficiency.
    Germany had the same finance driven meltdown the US did. Japan's economy shrunk because it was so dependent on the US market. That will not be the case anymore because they are now looking to China.

How, exactly, do you propose rectifying the trade deficit before all US assets are drained by others??

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I just found out my 16-year-old daughter's mother bought her the car of her dreams... a Kia Soul.

I feel sick to my stomach.

Don't worry that much, when it gets wrecked you'll have a chance to right the situation. A 16-year old should never have a new car, the chances of them having an accident is way too high. The insurance on this thing with such a young driver must be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    The American auto industry built Michigan... Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering...
    No, Michigan is in a depression because we long ago failed to diversify our economy. The handwriting has been on the wall for decades. Imported cars' sales have been rising since the '70s because the foreign companies gave Americans what they wanted: durability and fuel economy. The US companies have been, and still are, playing catch-up.

"The American auto industry built Michigan." PAST TENSE. Ancient history. It's time to move on and create a vibrant economy in Michigan that's not based primarily on one industry. The days of Detroit being the world's auto capital are OVER. The future is upon us... it's time to come up with new jobs in new fields for all of us.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast