Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    To each his own. I've owned a couple of domestics that have never had any problems outside routine maintenance. Keep buying Honda's.
    Or maybe my dad's Nissan Sentra he bought new in 1994. 250K miles, untouched original engine [[original head gasket, timing chain, water pump) and transmission [[original trans fluid). Only things replaced were alternator and blower motor.

As far as me, I've driven Ford trucks my life.

-Tahleel

If these Japanese cars are so durable then why aren't more of them seen in fleet service. ie. Police or Taxi use? I understand that NYC PD has started using Altima's; it will be interesting to see how that experiment goes. I estimate the higher cost of routine maintenance and repairs will be too high and they will go back to domestics shortly.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; October-01-09 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    If these Japanese cars are so durable then why aren't more of them seen in fleet service. ie. Police or Taxi use? I understand that NYC PD has started using Altima's; it will be interesting to see how that experiment goes. I estimate the higher cost of routine maintenance and repairs will be too high and they will go back to domestics shortly.
    Same reason why the newer Impalas, Magnums, and Chargers never caught on. These fleet mechanics know the Panther platform and 4.6L modular engines like the back of their hands. The Crown Vic [[and Lincoln Town Car, also Panther platform) are the only vehicles left that are built as a body-on-frame. The equipment that was installed in Crown Vics can be swapped throughout the years [[overhead lights, computer mounts, driver/passenger separators and etc.). It is cheaper to fit newer Crown Vics with used accessories from wrecked/retired CVs than to buy completely new ones. Also a complaint from the newer Magnums and Chargers were that the interior space was too confined.

It is definitely not the fabled "higher cost of maintenance and repairs."

-Tahleel

"It is definitely not the fabled "higher cost of maintenance and repairs." "

Says who besides you? I know one business owner in Madison Heights MI who rents high mileage cars for discounted rates. He exclusively uses Ford Tauruses and will not even consider more Camrys or Accords because when he did the maintenance costs ate him alive. $900 brake jobs vs. $250 brake jobs is one compelling example he cited. The cost to insure was also higher as when there was a need for collision work the japanese cars always cost more to get back on the road.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; October-01-09 at 10:07 AM.

Says who besides you? I know one business owner in Madison Heights MI who rents high mileage cars for discounted rates. He exclusively uses Ford Tauruses and will not even consider more Camrys or Accords because when he did the maintenance costs ate him alive. $900 brake jobs vs. $250 brake jobs is one compelling example he cited. The cost to insure was also higher as when there was a need for collision work the japanese cars always cost more to get back on the road.

Very good point. A friend of mine, always purchased Cadillac's, until a few years ago. He decided to step up his game, and get a Mercedes. Boy, was he in for a suprise. After a year or two and a couple of trips to the dealer for a brake job and a strut replacement, he's crying the blues. The strut set him back $1,500.00 and the brakes were $870.00 and some change. He laments the decision now. "You gotta pay to play"

$900 for a brake job? How about this, I'll give him a deal, and do it for half off at $450.

Says who besides you?

Still think foreign auto parts are more expensive than domestic? You said your friend rents higher mileage cars [[assuming late 90s, early 2000s). I quoted two 2000 model year cars, one American and one Foreign. These figures are straight from the Autozone's website with part numbers if you want to check them yourself. These are the cheapest options either model offered, no number games.

2000 Honda Accord - Brake Pads - DG465A - $34.99
    2000 Honda Accord - Brake Rotor - 31243 - $21.99

2000 Ford Taurus - Brake Pads - DGC601 - $59.99
    2000 Ford Taurus - Brake Rotor - DGR54010 - $49.99

As far as insurance costing more on a foreign car, this is what Forbes stated the top ten cheapest cars to insure:

1. Hyundai Santa Fe [[SUV): $832
    2. Kia Sportage [[SUV): $840
    3. Hyundai Entourage [[Minivan): $848
    4. Kia Sedona [[Minivan): $857
    5. Kia Rio5 [[Passenger): $857
    6. Honda Odyssey [[Minivan): $871
    7. Smart fortwo [[Passenger): $881
    8. Saturn Vue [[SUV): $911
    9. Mazda Tribute [[SUV): $913
    10. Chrysler Town & Country [[Minivan): $915

Look at that, the list is full of foreign companies. Also, as a car rental company, shouldn't the customers bring their own insurance or pay $X amount of dollars to buy insurance from him?

Maybe your friend should reconsider his fleet, it might just save him money!

Yes, thats what everyone else says, besides me.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    $900 for a brake job? How about this, I'll give him a deal, and do it for half off at $450.

[/color]Still think foreign auto parts are more expensive than domestic? You said your friend rents higher mileage cars [[assuming late 90s, early 2000s). I quoted two 2000 model year cars, one American and one Foreign. These figures are straight from the Autozone's website with part numbers if you want to check them yourself. These are the cheapest options either model offered, no number games.

2000 Honda Accord - Brake Pads - DG465A - $34.99
    2000 Honda Accord - Brake Rotor - 31243 - $21.99

2000 Ford Taurus - Brake Pads - DGC601 - $59.99
    2000 Ford Taurus - Brake Rotor - DGR54010 - $49.99

As far as insurance costing more on a foreign car, this is what Forbes stated the top ten cheapest cars to insure:

1. Hyundai Santa Fe [[SUV): $832
    2. Kia Sportage [[SUV): $840
    3. Hyundai Entourage [[Minivan): $848
    4. Kia Sedona [[Minivan): $857
    5. Kia Rio5 [[Passenger): $857
    6. Honda Odyssey [[Minivan): $871
    7. Smart fortwo [[Passenger): $881
    8. Saturn Vue [[SUV): $911
    9. Mazda Tribute [[SUV): $913
    10. Chrysler Town & Country [[Minivan): $915
    Look at that, the list is full of foreign companies. Also, as a car rental company, shouldn't the customers bring their own insurance or pay $X amount of dollars to buy insurance from him?

Maybe your friend should reconsider his fleet, it might just save him money!

Yes, thats what everyone else says, besides me.

-Tahleel

Here's what I found. So now what?:

2003 Accord LX

WAGNER Part # BD125674 Front Rotor $51.79

WAGNER Part # EC787 Front Pads $45.79
    FRONT; Japan Built

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0791127
    REMAN, LOADED; Coupe; M/T; FRONT LEFT Caliper $88.79

2003 Ford Taurus

A-1 CARDONE Part # 184613S Front Caliper $31.79

AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # 2859801 Front Brake Pad $9.87

AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # AR8139 Front Rotor $16.96

Source Rock Auto.com

2003 Accord LX

FRONT; Japan Built

2003 Ford Taurus

Source Rock Auto.com
    Don't know about you guys, but if I need to buy a book online - I go to Amazon.com ..... not WoodAndBooks.com

And if I need to buy auto parts - I'd go to AutoZone, or Murray's, or Advanced Auto Parts.

2003 Accord LX

FRONT; Japan Built

2003 Ford Taurus

Source Rock Auto.com
    Wow, what a [[[[[[, great job playing number games. You picked the cheapest replacement parts for the Taurus and the most expensive parts for the Accord. This is what I found, even on YOUR biased RockAuto.com site:

What I found:
    AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # 2578702 $12.16
    Versus what you put up:
    WAGNER Part # EC787 Front Pads $45.79 FRONT; Japan Built

What I found:
    GUARDIAN / ONE SOURCE Part # 30126082 $19.74
    Versus what you put up:

What I found:
    A-1 CARDONE Part # 192660 [Caliper w/Installation Hardware] $38.89
    Versus what you put up:

First, you posted a site that may not be accessible to anyone, where as there are many Autozone location scattered throughout Metro Detroit that is easily accessable to anyone.

Second, and most important, you intentionally picked more expensive parts and tried to pass them off as the cheapest ones. How can they even be compared? How are you even credible anymore?

-Tahleel

Same reason why the newer Impalas, Magnums, and Chargers never caught on. These fleet mechanics know the Panther platform and 4.6L modular engines like the back of their hands. The Crown Vic [[and Lincoln Town Car, also Panther platform) are the only vehicles left that are built as a body-on-frame. The equipment that was installed in Crown Vics can be swapped throughout the years [[overhead lights, computer mounts, driver/passenger separators and etc.). It is cheaper to fit newer Crown Vics with used accessories from wrecked/retired CVs than to buy completely new ones. Also a complaint from the newer Magnums and Chargers were that the interior space was too confined.

It is definitely not the fabled "higher cost of maintenance and repairs."

-Tahleel

What are the Taxi fleets, law enforcement agencies and fire departments going to do when the Crown Vic goes out of production next year? If it hasn't been discontinued already.

What are the Taxi fleets, law enforcement agencies and fire departments going to do when the Crown Vic goes out of production next year? If it hasn't been discontinued already.
    2011 will be the last year of production for the Crown Vic. They've already discontinued the model for public sale. If I knew what these agencies were going to use to replace the CV, I'd be rich because none of these agencies know themselves. Ford has introduced the new Taurus to police departments. Chevy did the Impala. Chrysler did the Charger/Magnum [[which has failed durability testing).

-Tahleel

2011 will be the last year of production for the Crown Vic. They've already discontinued the model for public sale. If I knew what these agencies were going to use to replace the CV, I'd be rich because none of these agencies know themselves. Ford has introduced the new Taurus to police departments. Chevy did the Impala. Chrysler did the Charger/Magnum [[which has failed durability testing).

-Tahleel

Taurus is too small, equivilent in size to the Impala and Charger. Magnum is discontinued as well. No more full size cars are available except the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS and those are too expensive.

Taurus is too small, equivilent in size to the Impala and Charger. Magnum is discontinued as well. No more full size cars are available except the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS and those are too expensive.
    Exactly. There are no more full-size [[or even RWD) cars that are left that these agencies can afford. From the articles that I've read, agencies are increasing the number of vehicles bought [[and using them later) due to discontinuing, and extending the service life of these vehicles by retiring them later.

-Tahleel