Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Let me get this right. You're against buying a type of car that was built in California [[Honda Civic) or designed in Ann Arbor [[Toyota Solara). But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?

Most newer American cars are designed, manufactured [[parts), and assembled in other countries. Even for the select few that are still assembled here, the majority of their parts are made internationally. The term "American cars" are a namesake for the ignorant.

Toyota and GM has had a long standing relationship [[New United Motor Manufacturing). Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai/Kia has shared engines and technology for decades [[Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance). Ford has also had a long standing relationship with Mazda, Nissan [[see Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest), Range Rover and Jaguar.

Also, I do not understand why you are against her buying a Kia. Do you not realize how many more jobs are created BECAUSE Kia is here? New dealerships, salesmen, service techs and supplier jobs just to name a few.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post

Also, I do not understand why you are against her buying a Kia. Do you not realize how many more jobs are created BECAUSE Kia is here? New dealerships, salesmen, service techs and supplier jobs just to name a few.

-Tahleel
    What? You actually believe this shit?

But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?
    Wrong there Junior, my Ford Focus was built in Wayne MI, with over 87% of the parts made in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Wrong there Junior, my Ford Focus was built in Wayne MI, with over 87% of the parts made in America.
    What model year do you have? It was not until 2008, that production was solely at the Wayne Assembly plant. The 2001-2007 Focus [[the first gen, as I stated) was assembled in both a plant in Hermosillo, Sonara, Mexico and the Wayne Assembly plant.

The Focus has gone from 75 percent domestic-parts content in 2007 to 65 percent in 2008 and now 50 percent [...] In our American-Made Index we require at least 75 percent domestic-parts content to qualify
    http://ask.cars.com/2009/07/is-the-f...-america.html?

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; September-26-09 at 05:54 PM.

Let me get this right. You're against buying a type of car that was built in California [[Honda Civic) or designed in Ann Arbor [[Toyota Solara). But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?

Most newer American cars are designed, manufactured [[parts), and assembled in other countries. Even for the select few that are still assembled here, the majority of their parts are made internationally. The term "American cars" are a namesake for the ignorant.

Toyota and GM has had a long standing relationship [[New United Motor Manufacturing). Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai/Kia has shared engines and technology for decades [[Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance). Ford has also had a long standing relationship with Mazda, Nissan [[see Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest), Range Rover and Jaguar.

-Tahleel
    No new jobs. They are just replacement jobs.

And please, the tired "I can name a foreign car that is built here and a domestic that isn't, so it makes it okay to buy foreign" is so lame. I wouldn't buy either one.

Here's what I do:

Ford Focus, Ford Mustang, Ford F-150.

Designed here, built here, profits go here. All 3 are very important. And by "here" I not only mean the USA, I mean Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    No new jobs. They are just replacement jobs.

And please, the tired "I can name a foreign car that is built here and a domestic that isn't, so it makes it okay to buy foreign" is so lame. I wouldn't buy either one.

Here's what I do:

Ford Focus, Ford Mustang, Ford F-150.

Designed here, built here, profits go here. All 3 are very important. And by "here" I not only mean the USA, I mean Michigan.
    Very good, East Detroit.

That's exactly what I did when I bought my new 2009 Chevy Malibu. A current GM engineer friend of mine who works at the Warren Tech Center strongly recommends it because it is designed, built and sold right here in Southeast Michigan between the assembly factory floor in Lake Orion to my driveway.

Oh ..... by the way ..... despite all the pro-domestics buying American movement going on in this thread, it seems like none of them have actually said anything about having bought a late model 2008, 2009 or 2010 domestic nameplate built-in-Michigan vehicle. Hmmm, am I the only one who is putting my money where my mouth is ? Pipe up, folks, if you are really supporting Michigan-made cars. Eager to hear if most of these folks are just posers, or just folks going to the used car lot. So much for supporting Michigan manufacturing and the autoworkers. Go ahead and make yourself feel good because you just bought a used 2004 Pontiac Sunfire or a used 2003 Chevy Silverado.
    Last edited by darwinism; September-30-09 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Very good, East Detroit.

That's exactly what I did when I bought my new 2009 Chevy Malibu. A current GM engineer friend of mine who works at the Warren Tech Center strongly recommends it because it is designed, built and sold right here in Southeast Michigan between the assembly factory floor in Lake Orion to my driveway.

Oh ..... by the way ..... despite all the pro-domestics buying American movement going on in this thread, it seems like none of them have actually said anything about having bought a late model 2008, 2009 or 2010 domestic nameplate built-in-Michigan vehicle. Hmmm, am I the only one who is putting my money where my mouth is ? Pipe up, folks, if you are really supporting Michigan-made cars. Eager to hear if most of these folks are just posers, or just folks going to the used car lot. So much for supporting Michigan manufacturing and the autoworkers. Go ahead and make yourself feel good because you just bought a used 2004 Pontiac Sunfire or a used 2003 Chevy Silverado.

I've done the same as yourself, Darwinism as I purchased a 2009 Pontiac G6, which was built at the same Orion plant that builds the Malibu. Even though Pontiac is going away, I bought it. I've always liked Pontiac's and think GM is doing itself a serious injustice eliminating the proud marque that created the "muscle car" and was established in 1926.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-30-09 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I've done the same as yourself, Darwinism as I purchased a 2009 Pontiac G6, which was built at the same Orion plant that builds the Malibu. Even though Pontiac is going away, I bought it. I've always liked Pontiac's and think GM is doing itself a serious injustice eliminating the proud marque that created the "muscle car" and was established in 1926.
    Good purchase, Cincinnati_Kid.

This is an old thread worth revisiting

It seems like we still haven't heard from Buy American and sstashmoo about their recent [[2008, 2009. 2010) model year domestic car purchases. Come on, you're not even going to try making up a story about this, heck just say you bought a 2009 Lincoln or Cadillac .....

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Good purchase, Cincinnati_Kid.

This is an old thread worth revisiting

It seems like we still haven't heard from Buy American and sstashmoo about their recent [[2008, 2009. 2010) model year domestic car purchases. Come on, you're not even going to try making up a story about this, heck just say you bought a 2009 Lincoln or Cadillac .....
    Since a cat bit their tongue, I'll fill in. A co-worker leases a 2008 Impala. Wheel bearings are shot, tie rods are worn out, and he's had a few other problems. Car has 30K miles. After buying Chevy's for years, he said he will never buy another one.

With that being said, my mom's Honda Civic, bought new in 2001. Has 198K miles. Only thing that was replaced was one strut, oil and plugs.

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; September-30-09 at 05:54 PM.

Since a cat bit their tongue, I'll fill in. A co-worker leases a 2008 Impala. Wheel bearings are shot, tie rods are worn out, and he's had a few other problems. Car has 30K miles. After buying Chevy's for years, he said he will never buy another one.

With that being said, my mom's Honda Civic, bought new in 2001. Has 198K miles. Only thing that was replaced was one strut, oil and plugs.

-Tahleel

To each his own. I've owned a couple of domestics that have never had any problems outside routine maintenance. Keep buying Honda's.