Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign Cars.

Hybrid View

Default Foreign Cars.

I just found out my 16-year-old daughter's mother bought her the car of her dreams... a Kia Soul.

I feel sick to my stomach.

My kid has no job. She's been looking [[probably not enough in my opinion) and keeps hearing that they aren't hiring people less than 18 due to the unemployment problem among adults. Her mother's job is in jeopardy. Her grandmother is unemployed & her uncle is scared to death. Yet she had her heart set on a Korean car.

When her mother emailed me asking "Do you want to contribute to the car fund?" I had no clue they were on their way to buy... My reply was that I would contribute matching funds to whatever she saves toward purchasing an American car, if she kept her grades up.

Part of me hopes this POS spends a great deal of time in the shop.

Buy American Guest

I would be sick, too. A friend of ours, who always bought American, gets a small pension from Chrysler from working there many years ago, bought a KIA. I couldn't believe it and then they had the nerve to ask me what I thought about it. I couldn't contain myself and told them that when the checks stopped from Chrysler, maybe KIA would send them a pension.

I was also sickened by the fact that the Cash for Clunkers program helped foreign automakers more than the big 3. What a farse....I am starting to not trust my government.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA.
    OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

lilpup Guest

No 16-year-old needs their own car.

Let me get this right. You're against buying a type of car that was built in California [[Honda Civic) or designed in Ann Arbor [[Toyota Solara). But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?

Most newer American cars are designed, manufactured [[parts), and assembled in other countries. Even for the select few that are still assembled here, the majority of their parts are made internationally. The term "American cars" are a namesake for the ignorant.

Toyota and GM has had a long standing relationship [[New United Motor Manufacturing). Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai/Kia has shared engines and technology for decades [[Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance). Ford has also had a long standing relationship with Mazda, Nissan [[see Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest), Range Rover and Jaguar.

Also, I do not understand why you are against her buying a Kia. Do you not realize how many more jobs are created BECAUSE Kia is here? New dealerships, salesmen, service techs and supplier jobs just to name a few.

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post

Also, I do not understand why you are against her buying a Kia. Do you not realize how many more jobs are created BECAUSE Kia is here? New dealerships, salesmen, service techs and supplier jobs just to name a few.

-Tahleel
    What? You actually believe this shit?

But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?
    Wrong there Junior, my Ford Focus was built in Wayne MI, with over 87% of the parts made in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Wrong there Junior, my Ford Focus was built in Wayne MI, with over 87% of the parts made in America.
    What model year do you have? It was not until 2008, that production was solely at the Wayne Assembly plant. The 2001-2007 Focus [[the first gen, as I stated) was assembled in both a plant in Hermosillo, Sonara, Mexico and the Wayne Assembly plant.

The Focus has gone from 75 percent domestic-parts content in 2007 to 65 percent in 2008 and now 50 percent [...] In our American-Made Index we require at least 75 percent domestic-parts content to qualify
    http://ask.cars.com/2009/07/is-the-f...-america.html?

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; September-26-09 at 05:54 PM.

Let me get this right. You're against buying a type of car that was built in California [[Honda Civic) or designed in Ann Arbor [[Toyota Solara). But you are for buying a car that was designed in Europe, parts made in Canada, and assembled in Mexico [[the first gen Focus)?

Most newer American cars are designed, manufactured [[parts), and assembled in other countries. Even for the select few that are still assembled here, the majority of their parts are made internationally. The term "American cars" are a namesake for the ignorant.

Toyota and GM has had a long standing relationship [[New United Motor Manufacturing). Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai/Kia has shared engines and technology for decades [[Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance). Ford has also had a long standing relationship with Mazda, Nissan [[see Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest), Range Rover and Jaguar.

-Tahleel
    No new jobs. They are just replacement jobs.

And please, the tired "I can name a foreign car that is built here and a domestic that isn't, so it makes it okay to buy foreign" is so lame. I wouldn't buy either one.

Here's what I do:

Ford Focus, Ford Mustang, Ford F-150.

Designed here, built here, profits go here. All 3 are very important. And by "here" I not only mean the USA, I mean Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    No new jobs. They are just replacement jobs.

And please, the tired "I can name a foreign car that is built here and a domestic that isn't, so it makes it okay to buy foreign" is so lame. I wouldn't buy either one.

Here's what I do:

Ford Focus, Ford Mustang, Ford F-150.

Designed here, built here, profits go here. All 3 are very important. And by "here" I not only mean the USA, I mean Michigan.
    Very good, East Detroit.

That's exactly what I did when I bought my new 2009 Chevy Malibu. A current GM engineer friend of mine who works at the Warren Tech Center strongly recommends it because it is designed, built and sold right here in Southeast Michigan between the assembly factory floor in Lake Orion to my driveway.

Oh ..... by the way ..... despite all the pro-domestics buying American movement going on in this thread, it seems like none of them have actually said anything about having bought a late model 2008, 2009 or 2010 domestic nameplate built-in-Michigan vehicle. Hmmm, am I the only one who is putting my money where my mouth is ? Pipe up, folks, if you are really supporting Michigan-made cars. Eager to hear if most of these folks are just posers, or just folks going to the used car lot. So much for supporting Michigan manufacturing and the autoworkers. Go ahead and make yourself feel good because you just bought a used 2004 Pontiac Sunfire or a used 2003 Chevy Silverado.
    Last edited by darwinism; September-30-09 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinism View Post
    Very good, East Detroit.

That's exactly what I did when I bought my new 2009 Chevy Malibu. A current GM engineer friend of mine who works at the Warren Tech Center strongly recommends it because it is designed, built and sold right here in Southeast Michigan between the assembly factory floor in Lake Orion to my driveway.

Oh ..... by the way ..... despite all the pro-domestics buying American movement going on in this thread, it seems like none of them have actually said anything about having bought a late model 2008, 2009 or 2010 domestic nameplate built-in-Michigan vehicle. Hmmm, am I the only one who is putting my money where my mouth is ? Pipe up, folks, if you are really supporting Michigan-made cars. Eager to hear if most of these folks are just posers, or just folks going to the used car lot. So much for supporting Michigan manufacturing and the autoworkers. Go ahead and make yourself feel good because you just bought a used 2004 Pontiac Sunfire or a used 2003 Chevy Silverado.

I've done the same as yourself, Darwinism as I purchased a 2009 Pontiac G6, which was built at the same Orion plant that builds the Malibu. Even though Pontiac is going away, I bought it. I've always liked Pontiac's and think GM is doing itself a serious injustice eliminating the proud marque that created the "muscle car" and was established in 1926.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-30-09 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    No 16-year-old needs their own car.
    Ain't too often I disagree with you, Lilpup, BUT....if the 16 year old pays for the car his/herself, buys the gas and insurance, and keeps a good driving record, I don't have a problem with that.

Got my first car at 17 and did all the above. To this day.

Default Trade Imbalance?

"The clearest gain concerns automobiles, hitherto a major US grievance and a large component of the bilateral trade deficit: during 2006, only about 4,000 US cars were sold in South Korea while South Korea's exports to the United States exceeded 800,000[2]. South Korean automakers sold 730,863 vehicles in the United States in 2005, while American auto companies sold only 5,795 in South Korea, according to Commerce Department figures[20]. The FTA will abolish taxes in South Korea on large cars produced in the United States, which US auto makers have long called an impediment to market access in Korea[16]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_K...rade_Agreement

We should be taxing the shit out of these car imports, who cares if we lose the sales of 4,000-6,000 vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    We should be taxing the shit out of these car imports, who cares if we lose the sales of 4,000-6,000 vehicles.
    I agree with you, but for a different reason.

Taxing these vehicles will just raise the price of the vehicle for the consumer. It is a well known fact that buyers of import cars do not specifically buy imports because of their price, as most imports are actually more expensive than comparable "American cars". Furthurmore, American automobile manufacturers has to offer deep incentives to buy their vehicles, while most Foreign manufacturers offer little to no incentives at all. Most imports are sold at MSRP price, while "American" cars are sold well below list price.

The reason I agree that we should tax these vehicles is because it would create more revenue for the government, but at the cost of the consumer.

-Tahleel

The Soul is manufactured at Kia's Gwangju production facilities in South Korea.

This is the only info I have found on where it is produced. Was it designed here? Did one single American have a job involved in any part of the vehicle?

I don't like the production of cars by American companies outside of the US other than for foreign markets. I still would not own a foreign company's vehicle if it was made here. I'm for tariffs on ALL vehicles containing less than 75% American manufactured components and/or manufactured by companies based in other countries.

I even look at the labels on products for sale. For example: I was buying medical tape. One was "Made in China," the other "Made in USA." Maybe some people would make excuses for why they should buy the Chinese. I proudly bought the American
    Last edited by jtf1972; September-26-09 at 04:49 PM.

Toolbox Guest

I work for a supplier that is owned by 4 very large Japanese companies and the last time I checked I WAS NOT paid in Yen. Should I give up my well paying job because you don't like competition?

I guess all those people employed in the Toyota and Honda plants I visit should not spend the US dollars they earn in this country then.

Why is the Walmart[[I never shop there) lot full of vehicles plastered with pro union stickers????

Most of you are living in a time that has long since passed and i feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    This is the only info I have found on where it is produced. Was it designed here? Did one single American have a job involved in any part of the vehicle?
    The U.S. GEMA [[which has two plants in Michigan by the way) Beta/Gamma variant is used to power the Kia Soul.

I don't like the production of cars by American companies outside of the US other than for foreign markets. I still would not own a foreign company's vehicle if it was made here.
    Just wondering, what do you drive? Have you ever bought a replacement part for the vehicle? Do you know where the replacement parts were manufactured?

I'm not ever going to even ride in this car. I feel I failed as a father.
    If you do not ride in the vehicle that she dreamt of having and finally acquired, how does that make you any better of a father? Sounds pretty foolish to me.

-Tahleel

Buy American Guest

What matters most is the bottom line....Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit. GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit. Ford's headquarters are in Dearborn. The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    What matters most is the bottom line.... Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit.
    Oh, you mean the company that was 80%+ owned by Daimler [[a German company), bailed out by the American government and is now controlled by Fiat [[an Italian company).

GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit.
    You must mean the company that has been bailed out by tax payers and is now owned by the government. You must also mean the same company that has threatened to leave the Ren Cen and "the heart of Detroit" for years to suburbs like Auburn Hills, Warren and Troy?

The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas.
    What profits? The Big three had losing quarters for YEARS. The profits, if any, would go to the shareholders and investors. My GF's parents had shares of GM, that aren't even worth the paper they're printed on. Hmm, what is left besides the profit? I know, the labor and material cost! If the assembly labor is provided by employees in foreign nations, and parts are shipped from foreign countries, what is left? Nothing! What part of that do YOU not understand? All of OUR American dollars are shipped overseas from supporting this "American" companies. I will go over it if needed, this time, take notes.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
    Sorry, you couldn't be any more wrong.

-Tahleel

I can understand people outside of Michigan buying foreign cars [[though I despise it), but I cannot understand buying a foreign car in Michigan, unless you work for one of the few foreign companies in the state.

The American auto industry built Michigan. You live in Michigan, you buy American. Period. Ford, GM, & Chrysler have built this state. They have sponsored every town's festival, little league teams, contributed millions to universities, contributed to the art's, etc. This, of course, on top of the millions of people they have employed, and pensioned forever.

I don't get it. Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering, and some Michiganders respond by buying a Toyota, or a Kia, etc. Unbelievable and unacceptable.

Want to find a way to fix the state's budget shortfall and improve the Big 3? Find a way to tax the fuck out of foreign cars in Michigan.

Grrr.. Pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    I can understand people outside of Michigan buying foreign cars [[though I despise it), but I cannot understand buying a foreign car in Michigan, unless you work for one of the few foreign companies in the state.
    Why should I prefer an American or Foreign car? The auto industry [[domestic or international) hasn't given me a dime. The reason I do not like American cars are most of them have uninspiring designs, horrible build quality and materials, and are generally unreliable.

The American auto industry built Michigan. You live in Michigan, you buy American. Period. Ford, GM, & Chrysler have built this state. They have sponsored every town's festival, little league teams, contributed millions to universities, contributed to the art's, etc. This, of course, on top of the millions of people they have employed, and pensioned forever.
    That was then, this is now. If these automotive companies are so gun-ho about Michigan, why did they expand their plants to other states [[down south, West coast) and internationally? I know it might be hard to believe, but there are other companies in Michigan too, that aren't auto-related.

I don't get it. Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering, and some Michiganders respond by buying a Toyota, or a Kia, etc. Unbelievable and unacceptable.
    Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Want to find a way to fix the state's budget shortfall and improve the Big 3? Find a way to tax the fuck out of foreign cars in Michigan.

Grrr.. Pisses me off.
    Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

Michigan's number one industry is suffering because it is uncompetitive. Michigan is suffering because we were too comfortable with the auto industry staying here, and didn't see what was obviously right in front of us. Why would one by an inferior product from a company that is uncompetitive with other companies? I'm sure the great Depression was started from buying foreign cars, although they weren't introduced to the American market until 40 years later.

Improve the Big 3 even more? You mean even more than the hundreds of billions of our tax dollars spent by bailing them out? What did they do? They paid off their creditors, and filed for bankruptcy anyways. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars!

This is ridiculous, and pisses me off.

-Tahleel
    What should piss you off is that the Japanese and Korean markets are effectively closed to US manufacturers. Even their Cash for Clunkers program excludes foreign manufacturers despite the US being damned sure our program didn't. You don't seem to recognize such behavior is the source of a lot of backlash against them [[aside from their labor practices and other trade advantages our government allows them to enjoy since little effort is made to level the playing field).

The American auto industry built Michigan... Michigan is in a depression because our number one industry is suffering...
    No, Michigan is in a depression because we long ago failed to diversify our economy. The handwriting has been on the wall for decades. Imported cars' sales have been rising since the '70s because the foreign companies gave Americans what they wanted: durability and fuel economy. The US companies have been, and still are, playing catch-up.

"The American auto industry built Michigan." PAST TENSE. Ancient history. It's time to move on and create a vibrant economy in Michigan that's not based primarily on one industry. The days of Detroit being the world's auto capital are OVER. The future is upon us... it's time to come up with new jobs in new fields for all of us.

The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.
    Well... in the case of G.M. and Chrysler, yes the profits do stay here. Because our government owns a majority stake in each.

In the case of Ford, which is a publicly traded company, the profits goes to shareholders. Shareholders of American based companies are not required to live in America...

What matters most is the bottom line....Chrysler's Headquarters is in Auburn Hills, they have assembly plants in Detroit. GM's headquarters is in the heart of Detroit. Ford's headquarters are in Dearborn. The profits from purchasing American cars, whether they were assembled in Canada or timbuckto, stay in the U.S. Why is that so hard for some to understand? Salaries earned by Americans working for foreign automakers stay here but the big profits from the sale of foreign automobiles assembled in the U.S. still go overseas. If I am wrong, please let me know.

the bottom line matters most? you're right, i have been worrying lately that the big 3's top execs don't get paid enough. making sure the suits keep their jobs is obviously far more important than supporting manufacturing jobs in the US.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cch View Post
    the bottom line matters most? you're right, i have been worrying lately that the big 3's top execs don't get paid enough. making sure the suits keep their jobs is obviously far more important than supporting manufacturing jobs in the US.
    The bottom line I am speaking of is what happens to the workers in Michigan and the U.S., and the economy.

Why nitpick?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast