Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

$2 for Detroit Residents, $3 for non-residents, $5 after 6PM, $40 per year for access at all times. See how much the "tolls" collect over the first two years. If the amount is sufficient to cover the current maintenance on the island and more, take the general fund amount the island receives, cut it by only 50% and disperse to other city recreation facilities.

Default $2 per car sounds fair

I'd have no problem charging $2 per car, wit the option of a $10 season pass. Pedestrians and cyclist could continue to enter for free. To make sure nobody is excluded, allow people who receive cash on their Bridge Card to use it to pay the fare. Accepting EBT, debit, and credit cards also cuts down on the possibility of fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Ilitch has contributed a lot to Detroit. Where would Detroit be without Ilitch?
    I don't know, but it would be really great to find out some time.
    Some of you need a lesson on economics. Bing is doing what needs to be done. Figures it would take a businessman [[and superbanite!) to get Detroit back on track.
    Back on track?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the City of Detroit is on track for bankruptcy. Even with all of the layoffs that he has proposed and the possible entrance fee for Belle Isle, Mayor Bing is long way away from closing the City's $300 million deficit.

The point isn't about Ilitch, although he's a prime beneficiary of the system. It's about Dave Bing's approach that cuts from everyone excepts those who can most afford it. As long as Bing continues the path of destroying the city's tax base through tax breaks, tax-free zones, millions for demolition, the cuts will only lead to more cuts in the future. How can a city ever hope to recover when those who can afford to contribute are given handouts at every turn?

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    We should truly have toll roads - statewide and disperse the earnings to expenditures such as Road repair, MASS TRANSIT and parks

I dont know, I'm from Ann Arbor, and I make frequent trips to the D for Mexican food and photography, events, the DIA, and things like that. My trips would be a lot less frequent if i had to pay to enter the city.

Would it be fare to say that a fee was imposed a few years ago it could have saved the Belle Isle Zoo?
    Last edited by Boo Stinking Boo; September-24-09 at 08:37 AM.

Promise me open, clean and stocked comfort stations seven days a week and I will scrape up the cash for an annual car pass. I may not get there often, but I will be proud to display the sticker.
    Last edited by Mackenzie68; September-24-09 at 08:39 AM. Reason: grammar

About time! I don't live in Detroit but I do agree with a fee for cars and busses. But pedestrians should be free.

I agree, charging $1-$2 for vehicles is reasonable. If not for the citizens of Detroit, at least charge a fee for non-Detroiters.

Will this money be used to maintain the five-acre concrete pad? Or remove it?

A fee and/or yearly pass makes sense, Bing needs to do it ASAP. Just make sure all the money collected is used only on Belle Isle and not to balance other budget shortfalls.

And Detroitnerd, don't you have any constructive solutions to offer besides snide remarks?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    A fee and/or yearly pass makes sense, Bing needs to do it ASAP. Just make sure all the money collected is used only on Belle Isle and not to balance other budget shortfalls.

And Detroitnerd, don't you have any constructive solutions to offer besides snide remarks?
    Oh, blow it out your ass. This forum is for all sorts of comments, relevant, tangential, negative, positive, disinterested, ax-grinding, anything. Again: Go fly a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Pooh View Post
    I agree, charging $1-$2 for vehicles is reasonable. If not for the citizens of Detroit, at least charge a fee for non-Detroiters.
    i think if they have a fee it should be for everyone, non-detroiters would most likely stop going [[not all, but some) if they were the only ones getting charged. I know for sure i wouldnt go, theres just not enough there to be worth a fee. we were pulled over for nothing last time we went, the police officer just yelled at us assuming we were "doing something illegal in the car" before letting us go. definitely wouldnt pay if thats the most excitement the island has to offer...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3