Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I myself 99% of the time lock up my truck.With the way things are if I went out to my truck and my empty pop bottles were gone along with the scrap aluminum in there. I myself would be at fault, But live and learn.
    As I say that house the man is up and leaving looks like a nice house and it is unfortunate that his time in the city ended that way, Yet as the heading of the thread states this story could be told a million times.And too bad that is soo true.

Here was my solution to crime when I lived in Detroit!

The just shoot them! In another post they shot the owners dog, and in another post they put the family cat in the washing machine.

As far as I am concerned the problem lies in the total breakdown of society. Peoples hands are tied when it comes to creating jobs. [[see the thread on illegal businesses) When we were there I spoke with people who came to D when the factories were in full swing. They said when they got off the bus jobs were waiting.

People must survive, but the decent options are dwindling away, crime is the next solution. Then when crime is out of control, and no businesses are there to support services everyone is perplexed and wants to call in the military which is the wrong move.

Government is a reflection of the people who elect them. Detroit is a reflection of the population.

The news filmed this story to protect his privacy by using footage of adjacent homes. I know the exact house and it is in the University District [[I've lived here ten years).

No one should have their wheels stolen - ever.

That said I find it odd that he had a FOR RENT sign in front of the house last year for about 10 months? He's upside down and knows it[[like many). Mortgage companies require documentation and reasoning for short sales, walkaways, etc. DOCUMENTED crime problems certainly help. As he said he was never a victim until now. I don't doubt that the theft occurred....but decide for your

Quote Originally Posted by 7051 View Post

That said I find it odd that he had a FOR RENT sign in front of the house last year for about 10 months? He's upside down and knows it[[like many). Mortgage companies require documentation and reasoning for short sales, walkaways, etc. DOCUMENTED crime problems certainly help. As he said he was never a victim until now. I don't doubt that the theft occurred....but decide for your
    If someone provides a DOCUMENTED reason for giving their property back to the bank so it can be a short sale, they are no longer on the hook for the difference? Really?! How's it any different than just walking away and dropping the house keys off with the bank teller?

The news filmed this story to protect his privacy by using footage of adjacent homes. I know the exact house and it is in the University District [[I've lived here ten years).

No one should have their wheels stolen - ever.

Since I was the one to raise the question of this person's agony about leaving the city, let me add to this.

I question the person's pain and decision to give the house back to the bank and leave the city because he made it too public. Crime is occuring every minute of every hour of every day in Detroit. People like him are victims of these criminals and though some of them get caught, most don't so we have to move on and we do.

Let's say the dude call WDIV and told them the story about how he was another victim of crime, they would have told him, "join the crowd." But, say you are going to leave the city and a light turns on. The media like WDIV love stories about people leaving Detroit because it represent another failed mark on Detroit. As as added bonus, because the guy was White, it also give the impression that the few remaining White residents are fed up and planning their exit out of Detroit.

Let me say again, I don't doubt he was robbed. I had my tires slashed twice in front of my house. I was not happy having to replace tires on two separate occasions but that's life in the big city. I question the sham interview because it was telling a story that is repeated every day. Victims don't call the media to tell the region he or she are leaving, they would just leave which is what he should done, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    You went from “never” to “lower”. Don’t be such a dunce and stop whining.

Usually someone dies or is hurt badly. I think that’s a pretty universal outcome for violence.

But one shouldn’t leave one’s car open in the driveway of their residence. This type of thing literally invites crime. Even in areas where the police are much better than the DPD, this “Laissez-faire” attitude is rather stupid. Fortunately for you, the rest of your neighbors: lock their car doors, have alarm systems, and are a little more aware. This significantly reduces the area's vulnerability to crime because thieves realize that the chances that they will stumble upon an unlocked car or an unprotected home are little to one.
    That's Crawford for you, he always thinks outside the box.

Listen...I lived in Detroit for four years from 2005 to 2009 and never had a crime incident happen to me, well except for my car getting broken into in my parent's driveway in WEST BLOOMFIELD.

My industry gets me pretty involved with the charachterisits of a lot of the suburbs. Wheels getting stolen has been happening ever since I can remember in every burb. If you have high-profile wheels, wheel locks are a must.

Bottom line is...this neighborhood may be in decline and this is probably why this guy is leaving NOT necesarily because of these two incidents. If these two incidents happened just over the last week, there is no way he made this decision and plan in one week's time because of the incidents. He probably was going to be gone no matter what.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    The media like WDIV love stories about people leaving Detroit because it represent another failed mark on Detroit.
    Right, that makes sense, WDIV hates Detroit so much that they are the only broadcaster remaining within city limits.

And even though all their workers live in the burbs [[especially the stars), and even though all their workers have to take a pay cut to work in the city, they still remain downtown, but somehow they really must hate Detroit...

I was not happy having to replace tires on two separate occasions but that's life in the big city.
    Except that it isn't. That;s life in Detroit. Has nothing to do whether a city is large or small.

Bigger cities like NYC have citywide crime rates at or below the nationwide average.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Right, that makes sense, WDIV hates Detroit so much that they are the only broadcaster remaining within city limits.

And even though all their workers live in the burbs [[especially the stars), and even though all their workers have to take a pay cut to work in the city, they still remain downtown, but somehow they really must hate Detroit...

Except that it isn't. That;s life in Detroit. Has nothing to do whether a city is large or small.

Bigger cities like NYC have citywide crime rates at or below the nationwide average.
    C'mon Glenn Rush Jr. do you need to start making up things again?

No time did I use the word hate or made references to anyone or anything hating Detroit. Glenn Rush Jr., you have to understand that WDIV is a business first. Regards of the fact that they are only newscaster in Detroit they still have to serve the entire area, including Oakland County. This is not about hate, it is about reporting the news to appease those who will appreciate it like you Glenn Rush Jr. Just hearing about another citizen escaping the Detroit warzone is music to your ears. So, to finish this, stop adding words like hate to the conversation.

As for twisting my quote about the big city, you didn't need to try to twist a meaninless quote and make it an issue about crime rates and New York City.

C'mon Glenn Rush Jr. do you need to start making up things again?

No time did I use the word hate or made references to anyone or anything hating Detroit. Glenn Rush Jr., you have to understand that WDIV is a business first. Regards of the fact that they are only newscaster in Detroit they still have to serve the entire area, including Oakland County. This is not about hate, it is about reporting the news to appease those who will appreciate it like you Glenn Rush Jr. Just hearing about another citizen escaping the Detroit warzone is music to your ears. So, to finish this, stop adding words like hate to the conversation.

As for twisting my quote about the big city, you didn't need to try to twist a meaninless quote and make it an issue about crime rates and New York City.

Right, his Utopia is the Bronx remember?? They don't have half the crime there as they do here.

WindsorDave,

Documenting a severe crime issue is just one small piece of the very complicated short sale process.

Please don't type things I didn't type.

A short sale or keys in lieu of deed without getting the bank to specifically give one a forbearance on the difference of one's mortgage and the amount they sell the house for may result in the financial institution, or someone who buys the debt, coming to collect from you in the future. Therefore, a bankruptcy also needs to be filed after a short sale, keys in lieu of deed or a a simple walkaway.

Therefore, one doesn't just walk away, there are always future consequences to backing out on a contract[[mortgage) agreed to. You don't "just walk away".

Actually lots of mortgage companies are doing short sales these days where they'll write off the difference between sales price and remaining principle and not sue you for that loss. The advantage to short selling is it hits your credit for 2-3 years instead of 7 years like a foreclosure and the bank/collectors won't come after you for losses they've incurred. No need to file bankruptcy after a short sale. So you can just really "walk away" these days.

I actually am glad that WDIV ran this story. It's about time the cost of crime starts being covered in the news. Not just the bloody, gory crime but the little stuff that doesn't make the news but makes individuals and families leave. 1,000 - 1,200 people per MONTH are leaving the city every month! When surveyed the number one reason given is crime. Most of the folks probably haven't experienced a murder or something that violent. Probably something like car theft for the umpteenth time, or B&E for the umpteenth time, or hearing gun shoots too close too many days recently, etc. So this guy represents over 1,000 people for September. Who will be the one that represents the next 1,000 to leave in Oct, and Nov, etc. This is a story that needs to be covered and covered on a constant basis until something is done about crime in Detroit.

WindsorDave,

Documenting a severe crime issue is just one small piece of the very complicated short sale process.

Please don't type things I didn't type.

A short sale or keys in lieu of deed without getting the bank to specifically give one a forbearance on the difference of one's mortgage and the amount they sell the house for may result in the financial institution, or someone who buys the debt, coming to collect from you in the future. Therefore, a bankruptcy also needs to be filed after a short sale, keys in lieu of deed or a a simple walkaway.

Therefore, one doesn't just walk away, there are always future consequences to backing out on a contract[[mortgage) agreed to. You don't "just walk away".
    It's not complicated for the vendor. You never mentioned the option of bankruptcy. What you said was, "Mortgage companies require documentation and reasoning for short sales, walkaways, etc. DOCUMENTED crime problems certainly help. As he said he was never a victim until now. I don't doubt that the theft occurred....but decide for your "

You talk like he wanted to be a victim so he could get documentation that would somehow help absolve him from this mortgage debt difference, as if this is "required". It's not "required'. They still come after you. There's actually standard mortgage clauses that let the bank short sale a building if you give the keys back or miss a payment. You don't need documentation like a police report and setting yourself up for a crime because he couldn't rent the building for 10 months just so he can have "documentation". That's just ridiculous.

If he does file for bankruptcy, it's because he couldn't pay his debts. If he just gives the keys back without documentation, it's the same thing. He doesn't need a police report to show he's a victim of crime as grounds for bankruptcy.

I think this guy is legit and he's pissed because he's out some serious dough and that's why he did the interview. It sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    Actually lots of mortgage companies are doing short sales these days where they'll write off the difference between sales price and remaining principle and not sue you for that loss. The advantage to short selling is it hits your credit for 2-3 years instead of 7 years like a foreclosure and the bank/collectors won't come after you for losses they've incurred. No need to file bankruptcy after a short sale. So you can just really "walk away" these days..
    What bank and who specifically do you know that pulled this off? I had a friend who tried that. The bank said you've got a job and we'll sue you for the loss if you walk away. The only option is to file for bankruptcy. Short saleing is not a foreclosure and is pretty automatic under standard mortgage clauses. Threatening to file for bankruptcy isn't leverage in getting a bank to write off a big chunk of the debt you owe. I had another friend who filed for bankruptcy, gave the keys back and the bank still got the trustee to garnish his wages to pay a chunk of that difference off for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    What bank and who specifically do you know that pulled this off? I had a friend who tried that. The bank said you've got a job and we'll sue you for the loss if you walk away. The only option is to file for bankruptcy. Short saleing is not a foreclosure and is pretty automatic under standard mortgage clauses. Threatening to file for bankruptcy isn't leverage in getting a bank to write off a big chunk of the debt you owe. I had another friend who filed for bankruptcy, gave the keys back and the bank still got the trustee to garnish his wages to pay a chunk of that difference off for another year.
    Don't forget to mention that the IRS treats the short sale as if it's income. So plan on paying taxes on the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3