Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Detroit Public T.V. moving back into Detroit

So glad they are moving back,,Never understood so many years ago why they moved from New Center to Wixom, now headed back, great new facility…

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...g/73326030007/

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    So glad they are moving back,,Never understood so many years ago why they moved from New Center to Wixom,
    According to the article:
    " Nearly 20 years ago, it announced its move to Wixom, driven by a federal mandate at the time to convert to digital television broadcasting."

That doesn't make a bit of sense. Channels 2, 4, 7, 20, 50 and 62 managed to transition to digital without moving into a new studio. If anything, the new digital gear is much smaller than the old analog equipment. At the time of the switchover, the NewTek Tricaster was available, which could run a small TV station from a box the size of a microwave oven. I saw promos showing a network scale TV station being run from a single 19" rack of gear and a single switcher desk.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    According to the article:
    " Nearly 20 years ago, it announced its move to Wixom, driven by a federal mandate at the time to convert to digital television broadcasting."

That doesn't make a bit of sense. Channels 2, 4, 7, 20, 50 and 62 managed to transition to digital without moving into a new studio. If anything, the new digital gear is much smaller than the old analog equipment. At the time of the switchover, the NewTek Tricaster was available, which could run a small TV station from a box the size of a microwave oven. I saw promos showing a network scale TV station being run from a single 19" rack of gear and a single switcher desk.
    i agree, people I knew involved at the time told me they basically used that as their reason, when they actually wanted to follow the common lead to the burbs at the time to be “ closer” to their audience, and their existing facility was not in good shape. but thankfully, momentum on many fronts have changed about being in the city, good to see Detroit Public TV in Detroit proper again.

i agree, people I knew involved at the time told me they basically used that as their reason, when they actually wanted to follow the common lead to the burbs at the time to be “ closer” to their audience, and their existing facility was not in good shape. but thankfully, momentum on many fronts have changed about being in the city, good to see Detroit Public TV in Detroit proper again.
    Exactly. This was during the time where corporations were happy to leave Detroit for sprawl and incentives. I'm happy they're coming back AND making investments [[hopefully) in the area, but we know why they moved to Wixom.

From what I heard... the city and business people were doing everything that they could to keep WTVS in Detroit, but that the GM of Detroit PBS [his name was Antonini... or something like that], and he wanted to have WTVS closer to his Oakland County home.

At last Detroit Public TV is coming home to Detroit where they truly belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ...the GM of Detroit PBS [his name was Antonini... or something like that], and he wanted to have WTVS closer to his Oakland County home.
    That sounds about right.

Did they do anything to change their transmitter recently? Ever since [[<- note correct spelling, Richard) they went digital I could pick up their signal over-the-air in Ann Arbor, either with converter box or TV. Then suddenly one day a month or two ago PBS-56 and FOX-2 just disappeared, not even "weak signal", just snow.

What really bugged me about the move to Wixom wasn't just that it was unnecessary, but that it was an expensive undertaking that would be bore out by donor money. WTVS seems to play a bit fast and loose with their cash.

A trick I learned from a podcast I listen to, is to check a non-profit's 990 filing with the IRS, or read their self-published information if they bother to provide it. On WTVS's self-published annual report their balance sheet lists combined assets and liabilities. You don't do that on a balance sheet. A number that adds how much stuff you own with how much money you owe other people is meaningless. It's what gets publicly traded companies into trouble, and the SEC clamped down on the practice after the Enron debacle [[Enron would regularly combine assets and liabilities to make their balance sheet look good.)

WTVS does break out assets and liabilities in other columns, but the fact that they are combining them at all is concerning.
    Last edited by JBMcB; April-17-24 at 09:35 AM.

Happy to see a proposed great reuse of the Autocar Building. Love that graphic design over the front door!!

Weren't the station housed in the Student Center Building on Woodward just north of Warren before they moved?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Weren't the station housed in the Student Center Building on Woodward just north of Warren before they moved?
    From what I remember, WDET used to be in the Macabees building, which was the Detroit schools headquarters, before moving to University Towers on Cass, while WTVS broadcast from the old WJBK building on second in the New Center area before they moved to Wixom. If you want to see it, it's 7441 Second Ave in Google Street View. The giant satellite dish on the roof kind of gives it away

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    From what I remember, WDET used to be in the Macabees building, which was the Detroit schools headquarters, before moving to University Towers on Cass, while WTVS broadcast from the old WJBK building on second in the New Center area before they moved to Wixom. If you want to see it, it's 7441 Second Ave in Google Street View. The giant satellite dish on the roof kind of gives it away
    Ok thanks

More like being "closer" to where most of them lived. I bet that had something to do with it. I saw where the GM of PBS, admitted as much before I responded. It has nothing to do with their 'said' audience.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-20-24 at 08:25 AM.