Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Those cities are near Detroit, but they are a thousand miles away from being Detroit.
    But they aren't. They are ten to thirty miles away from being Detroit. You know what is 1000 miles away from being Detroit. Dallas.

Yes it would be better for the city [[and honestly for the region) if the people who work at the tech center were located in the city. The actual location of things matters. But the city gets a significant benefit from them being in Warren rather than actually 1000 miles away in Dallas or wherever, and pretending that there's no mutual relationship between the city and the suburbs is something that should have died no later than L. Brooks Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It’s hyperbole because you are quick to seek.

Like Detroit you can buy a $500 house ,BUT it is move in ready.

I forgot to add the word BUT so instead of asking for clarification you and the other one are quick to be negative.

I am not the enemy and also not sure why you are trying to justify.

Its an example of two cities that were industrial powerhouses that experienced the same circumstances,one city chose the route of demolition and destruction while the other chose to hold the property owners accountable and secure and mothballed the buildings so they are still there.

So instead of recognizing the impact of electing and holding accountable local officials you and the other one choose the path of finding another reason to justify it all by deflecting to me.

Companies are building new factories every day in this country and across the world but yet the cities that already have them choose to retain the same thought patterns so they sit empty or get demolished while continuing the cycle while others defend that cycle until the last person is standing in the soup line.

Not being negative Richard. I asked a simple question. Show me a house in Detroit, that I can purchase for $500.00 dollars, and move right in with my family with nothing to do to but call the moving company. I'm sure you can find examples on a real estate site, since you made the proclaimation that it's true.

My father use to tell me,the only way you are going to get ahead in life is to get a job for a company and retire with pension and benefits,until he was 2 years from retirement and the company he worked for sold out and he lost all of that.

It was also at that time he told me it was a good thing I never listened to him.

My mother started out mending clothes for the rich people,she invested it in houses and had 4 by the time she turned 18,she never worked for anybody but became a multi millionaire.

At a time when women just did not do that stuff.

Outside of the service I did 2 years corporate and walked in one day and was told they no longer needed me in a good new bad news,good news was I took them over 1 million in profit for the first time in their 15 year history,the bad news was it cost them my salary of $200k to do it so they had to let ke go because they could hire somebody cheaper.

So that was it,I put an add in the newspaper for an investor found one before the weekend was over and I became their competitor.

The thing is there are so many opportunities out there,even in the skilled trades,you can make more money doing less work than somebody with a college degree without the debt and work for yourself.

Everybody talks about the evil corporations and high paid CEOs,nobody is stopping them from being their own boss but themselves.
    Your mother was very business minded and your father worked a 9 to 5. I am more of a 9 to 5 working person and would be lousy running my own business which starting and running one has its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Good things comes to those who wait... mystery solved...
    What is the purpose of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not being negative Richard. I asked a simple question. Show me a house in Detroit, that I can purchase for $500.00 dollars, and move right in with my family with nothing to do to but call the moving company. I'm sure you can find examples on a real estate site, since you made the proclaimation that it's true.
    It would go without saying,or should not need to be an explained that pretty much everybody in the world knows you cannot buy a move in ready house in Detroit for $500,but you can in Rockwood.

The post was comparing 2 city’s that suffered the same circumstances equally and the differences between pro active and reactive local government when it comes to vacant buildings.

Show me where I posted that you can buy a move in ready house in Detroit for $500 as in a proclamation,you read in to it more then what I posted.
    Last edited by Richard; April-29-24 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Your mother was very business minded and your father worked a 9 to 5. I am more of a 9 to 5 working person and would be lousy running my own business which starting and running one has its advantages.
    A lot of times one can actually make more working 9-5,less hours,less headaches less risk etc than in being self employed.

That’s why when people talk about greedy CEOs and pay scales,they do not have one job to do,in the case of GM that is 165,000 employees you have to think about in addition to making sure the product is delivered and the company survives into the future.

But like Henry Ford said - I do not need to know how to build a car - I can hire somebody that does know how.

But even in small business you have to run it like a business,I am in the service business,my hours are 9-5 and no weekends but in the early years it was 10 - 12 hour days and even worse with the nightclub at 18 hours a day but that was fun for the most part.

But it depends on what makes you happy,when you are young you chase millions and want it now,when you get older it becomes more about just being comfortable.

A lot of times one can actually make more working 9-5,less hours,less headaches less risk etc than in being self employed.

That’s why when people talk about greedy CEOs and pay scales,they do not have one job to do,in the case of GM that is 165,000 employees you have to think about in addition to making sure the product is delivered and the company survives into the future.

But like Henry Ford said - I do not need to know how to build a car - I can hire somebody that does know how.

But even in small business you have to run it like a business,I am in the service business,my hours are 9-5 and no weekends but in the early years it was 10 - 12 hour days and even worse with the nightclub at 18 hours a day but that was fun for the most part.

But it depends on what makes you happy,when you are young you chase millions and want it now,when you get older it becomes more about just being comfortable.
    I totally agree. Many small business entreprenuers in Detroit don't know how to run a business. There were plenty of them in Detroit 10 years or so ago before downtown started flourishing. Many of these shops didn't have cash boxes to break a $20 bill or give you change after making $5.00 to $10. purchases. Few had the clock signs in their windows saying that the shops will reopen at a certain time but many times they reopen much later in the day. Many of these shops closed a year or so after the owners started these businesses. I am and never will knock the average factory worker or anyone whom had worked for city, state, and federal doing the hands on blue collar or white collar jobs. I would rather work a consistent job for a number of years and draw a pension

It would go without saying,or should not need to be an explained that pretty much everybody in the world knows you cannot buy a move in ready house in Detroit for $500,but you can in Rockwood.

The post was comparing 2 city’s that suffered the same circumstances equally and the differences between pro active and reactive local government when it comes to vacant buildings.

Show me where I posted that you can buy a move in ready house in Detroit for $500 as in a proclamation,you read in to it more then what I posted.

Are you serious? I just highlighted in quotes from your post. #146. You're slipping Richard...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What is the purpose of this?
    It was me being diplomatic, after your were questioning why the Ren Cen was not lit up... but since you reposted my comment I'll come right out and say it... you are incorrect... the Red Cen was planning on getting lighted up for the NFL Draft...

Comprendez-vouz?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It was me being diplomatic, after your were questioning why the Ren Cen was not lit up... but since you reposted my comment I'll come right out and say it... you are incorrect... the Red Cen was planning on getting lighted up for the NFL Draft...

Comprendez-vouz?
    Is this a photo of the RenCen being lighted up for the Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Are you serious? I just highlighted in quotes from your post. #146. You're slipping Richard...
    you really have to make up your mind,on one hand people whine about my long posts,but then when I do not make sure I don’t explain down to the last detail you still find a reason to totally skip the meaning and find something to obsess about.

Once again and like I posted,it was based on the understanding that everybody already knows that you cannot buy a move in ready house in Detroit,maybe that’s why there is a stark difference,because people obsess over the wrong things instead of what really matters.

And no I am not going to count the nails in each house in each city for a comparison because most would just figure they are both nailed together and it is irrelevant in the bigger picture.

Owner of non-GM RenCen office tower looks to expand potential uses

The new owner of one of the Renaissance Center office towers next to the General Motors complex is looking for the flexibility to change its use.
    An entity called Michigan Acquisition East LLC that’s tied to Farmington Hills-based Friedman Real Estate owns the 600 tower, a 21-story, 336,000-square-foot building at St. Antoine Street and East Jefferson Avenue. Michigan Acquisition East LLC is seeking Planning Commission approval to expand the building’s potential uses. Its current planned development, or PD, zoning district only allows for office use. The Friedman affiliate is looking for an amendment that would allow for most uses currently permitted in the B5 zoning district, which includes things like multifamily housing, hotel, office and other uses under the city’s zoning code.Messages were sent to Friedman as well as Planning Commission representatives on Friday and Monday seeking additional details on the proposed change.

The planning commission meeting is May 16, and the public hearing on the rezoning request starts at 6 p.m., according to a city notice that went out Friday. Toward the end of 2023, Friedman paid $15 million for the 500 and 600 towers of the Renaissance Center, which had been owned by LMC Phase II, the entity tied to Newark, N.J.-based publicly traded utility company Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. [[NYSE: PEG).
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...potential-uses

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post

So the two buildings we thought were fully leased have problems also. Sounds like the owners received some cancellation notices. This is more bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    So the two buildings we thought were fully leased have problems also. Sounds like the owners received some cancellation notices. This is more bad news.
    Maybe this will answer some of your questions... 500 Tower has a long term lease with Blue Cross... but the 600 Tower is the one with problems.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...m/72050500007/

I bet the Southfield firm that bought the 2 towers late last year is livid with GM...

I bet the Southfield firm that bought the 2 towers late last year is livid with GM...
    In just the few months I worked there, one thing that was made abundantly clear was that GM doesn't give a rat's you-know-what about any entity outside of their own walls.

It's a globalist corporation and the only thing they care about is profit and control.

Quote Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post

Let the palm greasing begin!!!

An article in Crain's today about the 500 Tower of RenCen was sold... I assume to Blue Cross, but I could not get past the Paywall.

An article in Crain's today about the 500 Tower of RenCen was sold... I assume to Blue Cross, but I could not get past the Paywall.
    No.

It was sold to Kawa Private Investments LLC.

A Florida-based firm.

They are front for foreign investors,the building does kinda look like a vintage washing machine,round,so fitting.

You will never really know who actually owns it,it’s off shore and established in Delaware,corporate names stay private.

Hey,what if it was the Chinese gov that bought it to use as its headquarters as they introduce their $3995 entry level EV in Detroit ?
    Last edited by Richard; May-10-24 at 12:24 PM.

They are front for foreign investors,the building does kinda look like a vintage washing machine,round,so fitting.

You will never really know who actually owns it,it’s off shore and established in Delaware,corporate names stay private.
    Whom are you talking about? Kawa? Here's their web site showing their team:
    https://www.kawa.com/team

Here are their SEC filings:
    https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/firm/summary/157780

Their HQ is just north of Miami.

The other buyer is Friedman, a local company who has been around forever.

I mentioned this earlier in this thead... but I wouldn't mind it if Blue Cross of Michigan moved entirely into the RenCen [maybe Tower 100 in addition to Tower 500, or take 2 of the big towers], and sell Gilbert their 5 block Bricktown complex.

As good of a corporate citizen that BCBSM is to Detroit, they built that less than satisfying superblock downtown. Now the DTE campus looks like a superblock [but it maintains a street grid] and is on the edge of downtown, and I don't mind it, but this one is right in downtown... and I bet a lot of historic buildings came down for this block. Just look at the magnificent Detroit Cornice & Slate Company building within their more modern complex.

I think that the BCBSM 5 blocks should be divided [street grid put back to some semblance of its' former self] and filled in with residential/retail. I do realize that this might not be feasible due to the BCBSM data center located in the heart of the complex... but that 5 block superblock always sort of annoyed me...

Gistok.... check your messages.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Whom are you talking about? Kawa? Here's their web site showing their team:
    https://www.kawa.com/team

Here are their SEC filings:
    https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/firm/summary/157780

Their HQ is just north of Miami.

The other buyer is Friedman, a local company who has been around forever.
    Yes the whole point is to look squeaky.

The 3 principals are connected to over 323 different real estate “names” .

It’s a foreign registered company,all the SEC does is make sure they comply with U.S. law when they do business here.

Miami is like Montreal,they exist in the capacity they do because they serve as a foreign investment tool that runs billions through real estate because parking money in the U.S. is a safe bet,just ask the Chinese officials that got busted in the corruption crack down,billions all squirreled away in untouchable U.S. real estate holdings.

And that is just 10 people from one country.

it’s just an observation,it does not matter one way or another.
    Last edited by Richard; May-10-24 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    No, those cities aren't "Detroit." Not in their history, leadership, tax revenue, school districts, business areas, neighborhoods, not in the daily issues they face. Residents of the actual City of Detroit would love to be able to overcome all the struggles that people in Auburn Hills don't have.

Those cities are near Detroit, but they are a thousand miles away from being Detroit.
    Warren is only a "city" in terms of its legal status in the state of Michigan. No one outside of metro Detroit cares about that though, all they see is "Detroit."

Very small minded to think otherwise. The kind of thinking that holds this region back!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast