Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: April 3, 1974

Default April 3, 1974

Anyone have memories of the super tornado outbreak, 50 years ago today? In the local area, Windsor suffered the most when the roof and walls of the Windsor Curling Club collapsed, killing 8 people.

Name:  Windsor_tornado.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  277.9 KB

Name:  Windsor_Curling_Club.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-03 16.13.17.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  Windsor_Curling_Club_disaster.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  97.7 KB

Is that the one when part of the roof at the Thunderbowl in Allen Park blew off? The power and phones were also out for days.

Yes, but not in the Detroit area. My aunt was in the tornado that went through Lebanon, OH then. Lebanon is located between Dayton and Cincinnati. She was going to her parent's house in nearby Marrow, Ohio when the street she was driving down was hit by a tornado. She said it was a large funnel that swirled around her Rambler station wagon. The street had many old street trees that snapped like twigs around her. There was a nearby hardware store that had just opened a month prior that she said she saw its roof fly over her head. I still have the old newspaper from the storm somewhere.
    There was a bad tornado that hit Xenia during that time.

That was a rough weather year I do remember. My aunt and her family came up for Thanksgiving that year and were snowed in for several days before they could get back to Ohio. We had received 23" of snow I think.

I do not recall the April 3, 1974 tornado. That would have been my mother's birthday. My junior year of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    That was a rough weather year I do remember. My aunt and her family came up for Thanksgiving that year and were snowed in for several days before they could get back to Ohio. We had received 23" of snow I think.
    Detroit received 19 inches of snow on Sunday, December 1, right after Thanksgiving. I was on a class trip to Toronto that weekend, heading home on Sunday. We made it to Windsor and got stuck on the 401. Took about 7 hours to make it into Windsor city proper. The bus driver put up our group at his house, after making a midnight emergency Tim Horton's stop for donuts and milk. My parents drove over from Detroit the next day to retrieve me.

Enjoy this Freep lookback!
    https://www.freep.com/picture-galler...4/71919673007/