Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
I'm not the rainbows and unicorns type; Detroit is not yet a 'boom town' but that's not what this thread is about, its about its potential to become one again.

I think you're too negative. Which is the opposite of rainbows and unicorns and brings the risk of the self-fulfilling prophecy. Someone so sure that they can't that they won't.

Toronto has been in overdrive for awhile now.

But let me note for you that we had a previous real estate collapse in 1989; a then under construction office tower, that only had its elevator core climb a few storeys about ground when the collapse happened, ended up stopped and was a 'stump' for two decades.

Likewise, Toronto's waterfront, currently in the midst of an enormous redevelopment was the subject of a slew of different reports and plans over the decades before anything moved forward.

There are two notions that equally dangerous to success:

"Everyone else/ Everywhere else" does it better. [[ we can't succeed/compete)

and

"We're the best, woot!" [[a recipe for sitting on your laurels and waiting for others to pass you by)

Detroit can succeed, Detroit will succeed; the manner and timing is up to those of you live and work and hold office there. Make it happen.
Yes Detroit has great potential to become one especially with all of the vacate land it possess. I think that Michigan could be an attractive state in the future to attract people as well as businesses. The State as well as Detroit is the only places that have a foreign northern country to the south of it. Detroit has the potential to be an international city and not just a blue collar town