Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Sheetz Arrives in Detroit

Ground has been broken for the first Sheetz in Metro Detroit on Wick Road in Romulus. Get ready. They are coming in big and fast. The Romulus site, which opens in Sept., is said to be the first of 50-60 in the metro with more coming outstate.

I've gassed up at these entertainingly-named mega gas station / food-and-everything-else emporiums while driving through other states. Nothing sticks out about them in my memory beyond the name.

Opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've heard people talking about them on various forums I'm on. From what I gather it's the equivalent of a north-east Buckee's, though not nearly as huge. The main differences with regular gas stations are:

1. Larger convince store areas with a better selection than most gas stations
    2. Better food options than most gas stations, closer to a decent chain restaurant than a 7-11
    3. An aggressive rewards system, where it takes only a couple of fill-ups to net you a free coffee or hot dog

It won't make much of a difference to me, as 90% of my rare gas station purchases are windshield washer fluid and pop, but a new scattering of nice, large and well-stocked convenience stores would be a good thing I think.
    Last edited by JBMcB; March-15-24 at 09:29 AM.

Are they competitive on gas prices, or will they they just fall in line with Speedway like all the others do now?

I've been reading a lot about them, but can't wrap my mind around why I would be excited for a gas station where there are 4 within 1/2 mile of my house. We'll see!

Sheetz.com

It looks like one of those Pilot Flying J truck stops but without the trucks.

• Telling the story of Sheetz, from dairy to empire
      The company got its future identity when Jerry attended a dairy conference and found two name tags – “Jerry Sheets” and “Jerry Sheetz.” To his wife’s surprise, he picked up the tag with the “z,” explaining “I like this one better.” Despite the protests of family members, Jerry went through the then-long process of changing his name, giving his family a distinctive name that would eventually extend far beyond their Altoona home.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-15-24 at 10:53 AM.

Went to the new Sheetz that opened in Dayton. They did not have the E15 discussed in the other thread like they do in more eastern markets at a lower price. Instead, they had ethanol-free 90 octane gas for about a dollar a gallon more than their 87. Their gas price was about 40 cents a gallon cheaper than other area stations, probably a promo to build business. The automatic milkshake machine was fun, and the made to order food was good.

Oh Sheetz!