Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    One of the Post Offices on the national possible closure list mentioned a Harper Ave. Post Office. Is the Kensington Station the one they are referring to?
    The Harper post office is on Gratiot near the Better Made factory.

Amazing Job MikeM!

If anyone ever makes it to DC there is an old Richardsonian Post Office that is run by the National Park Service. The building is very similar to the one being discussed. Its tower is the second tallest building in DC and you can take a tour of it that includes a ride to the top. It does not take long and is free, so if you're looking for something to do to fill in some time and happen to be in the Penn Avenue area, you should check it out. Nice vistas from up there, and a chance to see the bones of a great old building. The lower level was a food court last time I was there, but it was not doing so hot.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-25-09 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If anyone ever makes it to DC there is an old Richardsonian Post Office that is run by the National Park Service. The building is very similar to the one being discussed. Its tower is the second tallest building in DC and you can take a tour of it that includes a ride to the top. It does not take long and is free, so if you're looking for something to do to fill in some time and happen to be in the Penn Avenue area, you should check it out. Nice vistas from up there, and a chance to see the bones of a great old building. The lower level was a food court last time I was there, but it was not doing so hot.

Milwaukee still has its post office, too.

Wow. Good job MikeM.

I used to go to the Brightmoor and Seven Oaks Stations [[and the Chase Library too).

Great stuff MikeM. Thanks!

Great stuff Mike.

The Kercheval Station was my family's post office for many years. My grandmother and several uncles, aunts, great-uncles and great-aunts lived nearby. My father grew up around the corner and remembers when they built it.

I can vividly remember walking there with my aunt who lived on Eastlawn, and being all excited because we were going to stop at the bakery for some fresh bread [[and maybe a treat or two) and at the Monteith Library for some children's books on the way back. It was much nicer on the inside than its plain outsides would lead you to believe. Very "WPA deco." I was in there with my Mom on the day they closed in the late '70s.

Thank you.

Some other former post office locations, now empty lots:

Station "A", corner of Woodward & Willis
    Station "D", 2331 Gratiot, NW corner of Chene
    Alfred Station, 60 Alfred Street
    Eliot Station, 23 Eliot
    Fox Creek Station, 14612 E Jefferson, between Phillip & Manistique
    Grosse Pointe Station, 17140 Maumee
    Hamtramck Station, NE corner Jos Campau & Tyler [[Dan Street)
    Maxwell Station, Gratiot & Maxwell
    Milwaukee Jct Station, 2405 E Grand Blvd, between DuBois & Chene
    New Fairview Station, 11747 E Jefferson, NW corner of Hart
    North End Station, prior to 1929, on Cass between Milwaukee & W Grand Blvd
    North End Station, post 1929, 407 W Baltimore
    Northwestern Station, 8664 Grand River, NE corner of Mackinaw
    Porter Station, 1237 Junction, south of Howard
    Thirty-First Station, 3724 31st Street, NE corner of Grand River
    West Fort Station, 4761 W Fort, corner of Ferdinand

This map from 1946 shows the postal zones [[forerunners of the ZIP code system) for Detroit. I think these were introduced around the time of WWII. Each zone had its own office and a lot of the zone numbers eventually became the last two digits of the ZIP code. As the city grew some of the zones were further divided.

Attachment 3306

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2