Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default The NFL Draft Coming to Detroit on the weekend of April 25-27

The next big deal for Downtown Detroit, that will gain the sporting eyes of the nation, will be the NFL Draft on the weekend of April 25-27.

I find it curious and interesting that an event that elevates around one hundred young men to millionaire status and many more to lesser but significant wealth could evolve into a major national and tourist event. But it does, it's huge, it's here, and I'm happy for Detroit.

Some predict the economic plus will surpass that of the 2005 Super Bowl XL. It certainly should image wise as there will be no need to hide ruins behind large banners as it was back then. Instead we have a vibrant downtown to showcase and this promises to be a win-win for the D.

It's going to be interesting to see how they jam this many people around the Monroe Midway area & CMart. KC had way more space last year and it was filled. I guess most people will not even be able to look toward the stage and will watch on screens. I do agree that it's silly that it's turned into an event. Fans come from all over to see the few seconds when their team's player is announced.
    Last edited by 401don; February-16-24 at 09:50 AM.

After the recent shooting occurred at the Kansas City during the Chief's Super Bowl Victory Parade, The Detroit Police Dept. will issue a 'no guns allowed' ordinance during the NFL Draft event.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how they jam this many people around the Monroe Midway area & CMart. KC had way more space last year and it was filled. I guess most people will not even be able to look toward the stage and will watch on screens. I do agree that it's silly that it's turned into an event. Fans come from all over to see the few seconds when their team's player is announced.
    It looks like the event will extend from CMP all the way to Hart Plaza and create more of a festival atmosphere. I don't get it but I am quite happy to see how well received downtown Detroit is.

Interesting that you mentioned KC though. Some of my first thoughts after the shooting this week was security and how they plan on ensuring safety with that many people freely moving about. I wouldn't be shocked if they added more stadium-esque check points to the event.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It looks like the event will extend from CMP all the way to Hart Plaza and create more of a festival atmosphere. I don't get it but I am quite happy to see how well received downtown Detroit is.

Interesting that you mentioned KC though. Some of my first thoughts after the shooting this week was security and how they plan on ensuring safety with that many people freely moving about. I wouldn't be shocked if they added more stadium-esque check points to the event.
    KC had the huge lawn and it would have been easy to set up metal detectors around the perimeter. Not sure if they did though. I also wonder how freely the alcohol flows at this event.

Let's face it, anybody can shoot up any outdoor event anywhere. Precautions can be, are, and will be taken but all eventualities can never be covered in gun-drenched America. When European friends ask how I put up with it, all I can do is shrug and say that when I served in Africa in the Peace Corps we had to consider the mambas, cobras, lions, crocodiles, and hippos. Here we had no deadly critters but plenty of guns instead. Life goes on.

Let the price gouging begin! From today's Free Press...

Longtime Detroit Lions fan John Miller began making plans to attend the NFL draft in December, reserving a room at a hotel in downtown Detroit so that he and his wife could be in walking distance of the festivities.

Nearly two months later, the hotel told him his $350-a-night reservation had been canceled, and he was free to make another reservation for the same night in April - at three times the cost, or $1,100.

Here's what happened: When hotels began taking reservations in December for rooms during the draft in April, Miller's wife, Jani Miller, reserved a suite at the Detroit Club for the night of April 25. With taxes and fees added to the room rate of $350, the total cost was $427.50. She made the reservation in December and guaranteed it with a credit card.
    In late January, the hotel said the reservation had been canceled at Jani Miller's request. Miller said his wife did no such thing.

For those of us that work downtown, this event promises to be a major PIA. Parking for office workers will undoubtedly be a disaster.

Oh, well, it can't be any worse than last year's Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    For those of us that work downtown, this event promises to be a major PIA. Parking for office workers will undoubtedly be a disaster.

Oh, well, it can't be any worse than last year's Grand Prix.
    It's just Thurs. night and Friday. Shouldn't be that bad.