Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers on Amazon Prime

I am so happy this is finally happening. It really broadens the market to younger people [[and me) who only use antennas and streaming apps. Not sure what the upcharge on Prime will be but I will pay no matter what.

What's everyone else's feeling about this?

Here's the article.

Customers will be able to access their local team’s content on Prime Video channels where Diamond has rights. Pricing and availability will be announced at a later date. Regional sports content will also remain available on cable and satellite providers.
    They have my attention, but I'm not getting excited yet. If Red Wings were included in my Amazon Prime subscription, that would be fantastic. However, I have a feeling it will require an additional subscription.

Bally Sports Detroit is simply too expensive for me to justify getting it. Paying $20 a month to watch SOME of the Red Wings games isn't acceptable.

For example, February has 10 Red Wings games. But out of those 10, only 8 of them are on Bally Sports. $2.50 a game? Nope, they can get bent.

I can't imagine it will be cheap. Out-of-towners like me pay for MLB Extra Innings, Sunday ticketet, etc. There's is no way the leagues are going to lose that revenue.

They will figure out a way to limit it to the Metro area only. Bally sucks. Constantly dropping depending on which kind of device you use, only playing some games as said above. I'm paying 200 a year for garbage. At least Prime is reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I can't imagine it will be cheap. Out-of-towners like me pay for MLB Extra Innings, Sunday ticketet, etc. There's is no way the leagues are going to lose that revenue.

I think it stinks. Most people channel surf these days. Nothing, even the Lions, holds my attention for long. I flip between games, between sports, watch a movie, the news. Halftime I listen to music, because I refuse to watch those ancients on NFL Today.
    What's amazing to me is people are ready to pay more money for an inferior product. The picture quality stinks, the audio is lousy, and changing channels is like 'waiting for the spinning wheel'. "But but.... you're part of history!"

Name:  homer.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  9.5 KB

ESPN has an agreement with the NHL through 2028. They currently have sole broadcasting rights on 8-9 games per team per season. That means no local [[Bally) or other broadcasts of those games. Their broadcast teams are not particularly good. I watch on NHL Center Ice, which uses the local broadcast with Ken Daniel and Mickey Redmond, who are excellent.

If games are shown on Amazon Prime, I wonder if that will mean even fewer games with local broadcasts. At least I will see those.

"Regional sports content will also remain available on cable and satellite providers."

I'm a bit confused by that statement in the article. Aren't the Wings/Tigers/Pistons regional sports content? Is it going to stream and remain on standard cable? I guess this opens up another avenue to stream on Prime if you want but as a cable holdout [[I know, I know; Please don't shame me) I don't see this effecting me. Am I reading that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    "Regional sports content will also remain available on cable and satellite providers."

I'm a bit confused by that statement in the article. Aren't the Wings/Tigers/Pistons regional sports content? Is it going to stream and remain on standard cable? I guess this opens up another avenue to stream on Prime if you want but as a cable holdout [[I know, I know; Please don't shame me) I don't see this effecting me. Am I reading that wrong?
    I've been reading some other articles and a lot of this deal has not been settled yet according to MLB.
    Last edited by 401don; January-19-24 at 09:35 AM.

Yes, according to the press release you can still watch Detroit sports on your Xfinity cable Bally Sports Channels:

Customers will be able to access their local team's content on Prime Video channels where Diamond has rights. Pricing and availability will be announced at a later date, but it is unlikely that this content would be available as benefit included for current Prime subscribers. Regional sports content will also remain available on cable and satellite providers.

Looking at the "where Diamond has rights" part, I'm guessing your IP address has to be Michigan-based [[local to Bally's) for it to work. I was hoping my father, a snowbird, could add it to his Amazon Prime in Florida, but I doubt it would work. For that, he would probably have to buy the $20/month Bally App Package directly. Who knows? It's still early.

I find watching the Thursday night football games on Amazon annoying. You can't flip around like you would normally do. Also, the picture quality is sometimes a problem.

You must have a really bad or slow internet connection if you're having all those issues. I have Xfinity and YouTubeTV and don't experience what you are.
    That said, Bally is awful

Hi Lowell: It sounds like you watch a lot of television and internet. How do you find the time? [Just curious, not taking a shot at you.)

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Hi Lowell: It sounds like you watch a lot of television and internet. How do you find the time? [Just curious, not taking a shot at you.)
    When one is as insatiably curious as I am and has control of over one's time it's not a problem. It's a joy. To that end Ad-free YouTube subscription is my most watch stream, with ChatGPT biting into that. I am no Jimaz however.

I miss when the Pistons use to play on antenna TV. Channel 50 UPN and the Tigers and Wings as well. I already have prime but I can’t see myself paying extra to watch any pistons game at this point. Basic cable is even worse at $200+ monthly which is insane to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I miss when the Pistons use to play on antenna TV. Channel 50 UPN and the Tigers and Wings as well. I already have prime but I can’t see myself paying extra to watch any pistons game at this point. Basic cable is even worse at $200+ monthly which is insane to me.

Totally agree. I miss UPN also. I was hoping that local Detroit teams would go back to that, similar to what the Phoenix Suns just did. They put everything back on over-the-air antennae channels to get the younger crowd, who doesn't want cable, interested in sports again. Gutsy move. I guess Detroit decided to nick that and go with what the younger crowd does love - streaming.

It blows my mind how many games are on all the different streaming apps this year. Wall Street loves this because the of the huge attrition rates streaming services have [[signup - binge your show - cancel 30 days later). People will keep paying if the streaming service has sports. I see this as a HUGE win for Amazon Prime. I know it will get my business.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    What's everyone else's feeling about this?Here's the article.
    Prisoners' Dilemma in game theory? If everyone simply said no to grifters such as Bally Sports Detroit, Amazon Prime, etc., IMHO it would force sports broadcasts back to network TV where we could all watch sports for free as the gods intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Prisoners' Dilemma in game theory? If everyone simply said no to grifters such as Bally Sports Detroit, Amazon Prime, etc., IMHO it would force sports broadcasts back to network TV where we could all watch sports for free as the gods intended.
    I think it’s hard to say no to Bally sports, because so many people in the city who pay for cable are more than likely to get the channel through Comcast Xfinity. I refuse to pay Xfinity extra money as they have cornered the Detroit market with their outrageous rates, and below average service.

I think it’s hard to say no...
    Agreed, but if corporate America has its way, soon we'll be paying subscription fees to use our own toilets. The writing is on the wall. For example, per the link below, HP's stated goal is to make peons pay for using their own printers. After that we're likely to see Tom Selleck or grifters of his ilk on TV promoting pay-per-piss and pay-per-poop toilets.

The good news is that enough people just saying no to Bally Sports Detroit may have driven that particular con into bankruptcy. As always, eternal vigilance is the price of free baseball broadcasts.

HP CEO Says Goal Is to Make "Printing a Subscription" [[futurism.com)
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; January-26-24 at 09:20 PM.

I think it’s hard to say no...
    P.S. For the time being, if you own an HP printer, just say no to software updates from HP because its working overtime to commandeer your hardware.