Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Flashback to the Disco days.

I came across this by accident, a tragic event for sure. I remember going to Harpos, the old Harper theater, and some smaller places during 1970’s. Jealousy, alcohol, guys can go crazy protecting their territory.

Name:  freaky.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  49.1 KB

The Freaky Deaky was hazardous to your health.

Name:  Screenshot_20240114_112335_Chrome.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  182.5 KB

The first mention of the dance I've found in local papers is from August 1978:

Name:  Freaky_Deaky.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  193.8 KB

^ Suggestive dancing? Murder!? Grand that we've progressed beyond those dark decades to girls singing along and twerking to WAP and Sexy Reds inspirational Pound Town!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-24 at 11:56 AM.

Freaky Deaky made a big splash in it’s time. Even Detroit crime novelist Elmore Leonard used it as a title for one of his novels. Although the novel doesn’t seem to reference the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Freaky Deaky was hazardous to your health.
    In in my prime I was freaky just standing still. Not to brag, but freakiness was a cross I bore without complaint. But now that I'm an old fart, discos are safe for distaff as I devote my remaining days to keeping Metamucil out of bankruptcy.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; January-18-24 at 04:00 AM.