Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
Why? I am a transit planner and I cannot understand why I keep seeing comments like this about expanding the people mover. The same technology is being consistently expanded in Vancouver, BC, and shows that it can be successful as a Light Metro. Why can’t we also have nice things?

Light Rail is not going to attract ridership in Metro Detroit any more than buses can unless it is done right, with its own ROW, signal priority, and elevated ROW at key sections. I do not trust the City, Region, and State to do it right. With an elevated Light Metro, you can’t really go as wrong.

Well, if the ridership numbers are indicative of future development projections, maybe 2 car to 4 car trains alternating on rush to normal hours is okay for Detroit. Do you think the extension of the PM would do the job in the future, by attracting higher counts?

It may that the downtown district’s circumscribing is responsible for the low commuter count. It has probably lower numbers than airport choo-choos that shuffle travellers btwn terminals where similar systems exist. That is not to knock it, it is a valuable asset, and should be promoted, if not extended.

When the city and metro get together on a serious plan to develop commuter rail, you can expect nice things. Where the will is, the way is not that far.