Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
Call them undocumented persons, call them illegal aliens, migrants or whatever you want. I'm aware most come from unfortunate situations, but there has to be some limits to their arrival here.

I'm not against immigration. My grandparents on both sides were immigrants. they came here in what was a legal manner back then.

Obviously, we cannot afford to house, feed, provide medical care to 9 million people who have come through our borders. If certain individuals want to sponsor persons or families, and bear the financial and other responsibility for that, I think that's very laudable. But the situation is just not tenable, we cannot be the saviors for the world.
They're not undocumented, or illegal. They are coming here in a legal manner, following the proper rules and proceedures. You're conflating illegal immigrants with refugees.

From a Congressional Research Service report:

"In FY2023, U.S. Border Patrol encountered more than
447,000 foreign nationals from the Northern Triangle
crossing the U.S. Southwest border between ports of entry,
including 213,000 Guatemalans; 181,000 Hondurans; and
53,000 Salvadorans [[see Figure 2). Of those encountered,
the Border Patrol placed 309,000 into removal proceedings
under Title 8 of the U.S. Code, where they could potentially
seek asylum or related relief, and expelled 138,000 from the
United States under Title 42 for public health reasons."

We're talking about a 0.15% increase of the US's population. The problem is not that the US cannot perform it's legal and moral duties, it's that if you put all of these people into a handful of big cities, they can't handle it. They need to be spread around. The idea that metro Detroit is "overwhelmed" by a few hundred refugees is laughable.